Who is Tim Miles

19 minutes ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

We all know the jokster around the media, quick to pull a pun out of his sleeve- but what is he like in practice, behind closed doors, etc. I feel like you kind of knew what you had in Danny, Barry and Doc.  Dont feel that way with Tim. Anyone know?

Take the time to read the book Nebrasketball.   Scott Winter gives a pretty good look into it.  He's tough as hell and brutally honest in practice.  In smaller groups in public or private he's pretty much what you see on the stage.  

Agree with HB ... that book was pretty telling. Little things that leak like what he said to Tai after being confronted by Steve Taylor tell me a bit more about Miles as well. I think he could stand to look in the mirror a bit more and ask himself if the way he's going about things is positively affecting his players' mentality and the overall culture of the program. Again, I'll probably get heck but not everyone responds to tough love the same way especially these days. A coach (imho) has to be more flexible and know more about psychology and "meeting players where they are at" mentally and emotionally. It's an educator's job actually. Just my $.02.

2 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Agree with HB ... that book was pretty telling. Little things that leak like what he said to Tai after being confronted by Steve Taylor tell me a bit more about Miles as well. I think he could stand to look in the mirror a bit more and ask himself if the way he's going about things is positively affecting his players' mentality and the overall culture of the program. Again, I'll probably get heck but not everyone responds to tough love the same way especially these days. A coach (imho) has to be more flexible and know more about psychology and "meeting players where they are at" mentally and emotionally. It's an educator's job actually. Just my $.02.

What did Miles say to Tai after Taylor Made thrust himself into the "double digit" situation???

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

What did Miles say to Tai after Taylor Made thrust himself into the "double digit" situation???

Something like "your father in law came and talked to me? - tell him to get over it". I think Taylor is in the wrong here, but Miles put Tai in an awkward spot bringing it up in front of a room full of reporters and cameras. 

4 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

As someone who has answered something to someone out loud and then known that I should have either waited or just let it go, many, many, many, many times.  I will give Tim a pass on this one.

But yeah maybe should have just waved, 

with all his fingers!!!!

Boo.... yah?

52 minutes ago, Kent Pavelka said:

I'll take this one. He & the staff are meticulous teachers and game-planners, who demand maximum effort & attention to detail. There is nice balance between those expectations and acknowledging and/or critiquing performance. That creates a standard that, in turn, creates pride and improvement in team. That's how I've seen it. I've always been impressed and even motivated myself by being able to hang around a lot. Believe me, the vibe is spot-on.

Nice to know, KP. GBR!

1 hour ago, Kent Pavelka said:

I'll take this one. He & the staff are meticulous teachers and game-planners, who demand maximum effort & attention to detail. There is nice balance between those expectations and acknowledging and/or critiquing performance. That creates a standard that, in turn, creates pride and improvement in team. That's how I've seen it. I've always been impressed and even motivated myself by being able to hang around a lot. Believe me, the vibe is spot-on.

Thanks Kent.  Good stuff!

I attended a lot of practices for both Danny and Doc.  Both of those coaches were tough on the players.  I remember seeing Ryan crying on the baseline as a freshman and being chastised about the tears and his lack of effort.  There were practices where I almost slipped under my seat because I was either terrified, scared or embarrassed by what was happening in front of my eyes.  There were reasons why players tried to boycott Danny. 

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

Thanks Kent.  Good stuff!

I attended a lot of practices for both Danny and Doc.  Both of those coaches were tough on the players.  I remember seeing Ryan crying on the baseline as a freshman and being chastised about the tears and his lack of effort.  There were practices where I almost slipped under my seat because I was either terrified, scared or embarrassed by what was happening in front of my eyes.  There were reasons why players tried to boycott Danny. 

Certainly think that that shows a coach is going to "coach."  Sometimes you need to get a little tough on guys.  I know from the teaching aspect and business aspect of the world that if you give someone a 6 inch leash, they will want 7.  Give them 7, and they are going to want 8.  You can't tell me that Miles is tougher on players than Coach K, Coach Cal, and Coach Self.  

On 5/4/2017 at 10:29 AM, Kent Pavelka said:

Well, I'll take this one. That sounds great and it's what we all want, but then why are we 31-55 over the last three seasons?

Kent, I'm not addressing you with this question. I greatly appreciate your taking time to post and don't expect you to get into a debate with message board idiots. 

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Well, I'll take this one. That sounds great and it's what we all want, but then why are we 31-55 over the last three seasons?

Kent, I'm not addressing you with this question. I greatly appreciate your taking time to post and don't expect you to get into a debate with message board idiots. 

I'm sure Miles would say he has made some mistakes, but what I've learned about life is you do everything right and sometimes things still don't go your way. Doing things the right way is no garantee of success but not doing things the right way almost always garentees failure.