Looking forward

Huskerpapa

• Huskerpapa changed the title to Looking forward
47 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

If you cannot see a glimpse or two of sunshine, you simply are not looking :)

You've done a great job of whetting my appetite.  While watching the video, I see they put up their website in the right hand corner.  At first glance, I thought they were Desmond Dekker fans.  I need new glasses...

Edited by cipsucks

15 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If Anton Gill recovers from his knee issues (I don't think we ever saw the real AG last year) he could very well be our answer at SG.  Drives the ball very well and can shoot from outside.  The video linked above looks more like the kid we saw in the open scrimmage his transfer year.  That's the kid we're looking for.

I agree that I don't think we ever saw the real Anton Gill last year due to never fully getting back up to par following scopes on both knees to clean things up prior to the season. The "IF he recovers from his knee issues" is a big IF IMO. So he adds the torn patellar tendon on top of the issues he wasn't able to make it back fully from last year. That's a major injury, one that most athletes don't make it back to where they were prior. We could speculate that the knees weren't 100% last year and that contributed to the big injury and that fixing that and having the time off to rehab will really get his knees right, but odds that he returns to a level he was never at even last year is asking a lot. Let's hope for the best and we'll see.

If everything goes our way we could hypothetically be a really good team. 

-No serious injuries

-Glynn takes another step and becomes a top 5 PG in the league

-James Palmer is who some ppl think. He's able to knock down 3s at a respectable rate and can take ppl off the dribble and slash towards the basket.

-Copeland can put up avgs of his sophomore year and is eligible the whole semester

- Jordy becomes a top half Center and can play ~22 min a game.

-Zay gets healthy and we finally get to see him flourish as a Stat stuffing swiss army knife

-ET keeps providing his grit and toughness.

-Jack becomes a more consistent 3pt shooter. Tad bit more muscle wouldn't kill anyone.

-Gill is able to bounce back to become a serviceable shooter that opponents have to atleast respect 

-Duby is able to play 10-12 min a game in an injury free season.

-Everybody progresses enough where Allen and Nana are able to flourish bc they are 3rd or 4th options on the floor. They're able to play relaxed and stress free (as much as D1 bball allows).

-Costello and Borchardt come ready to go to war and give em hell from the scout team.

Obviously not all of these will happen but how many/ which ones specifically need to happen for us to have the kind of year we want?

4 hours ago, khoock said:

-No serious injuries

-James Palmer is who some ppl think. He's able to knock down 3s at a respectable rate and can take ppl off the dribble and slash towards the basket.

-Copeland can put up avgs of his sophomore year and is eligible the whole semester

-Zay gets healthy and we finally get to see him flourish as a Stat stuffing swiss army knife

-Jack becomes a more consistent 3pt shooter. Tad bit more muscle wouldn't kill anyone.

-Gill is able to bounce back to become a serviceable shooter that opponents have to atleast respect 

-Everybody progresses enough where Allen and Nana are able to flourish bc they are 3rd or 4th options on the floor. They're able to play relaxed and stress free (as much as D1 bball allows).

-Costello and Borchardt come ready to go to war and give em hell from the scout team.

-The head coach pulls his head out of his fishbowl and starts winning.

23 hours ago, ajb5856 said:

I agree that I don't think we ever saw the real Anton Gill last year due to never fully getting back up to par following scopes on both knees to clean things up prior to the season. The "IF he recovers from his knee issues" is a big IF IMO. So he adds the torn patellar tendon on top of the issues he wasn't able to make it back fully from last year. That's a major injury, one that most athletes don't make it back to where they were prior. We could speculate that the knees weren't 100% last year and that contributed to the big injury and that fixing that and having the time off to rehab will really get his knees right, but odds that he returns to a level he was never at even last year is asking a lot. Let's hope for the best and we'll see.

That's why I said "if."  And I've made the observation many times in the past that I worry if he'll be able to return to full form.  So that doesn't really change what I'm saying now, which is that if he is able to return to full form, the player I saw at the open scrimmage would certainly help fill our needs at SG, quite well in fact.  And I hope for the kid's sake that he's able to do so. 

15 hours ago, khoock said:

-No serious injuries

Obviously not all of these will happen but how many/ which ones specifically need to happen for us to have the kind of year we want?

Nice thing is we don't need all of those things to happen.  In fact, there won't be enough minutes or shot opportunities to go around for EVERYONE to show all the improvements a fan would hope they will have made.

We know what we have with Glynn.  He'll continue to improve in subtle ways but basically we know what we have with him, which is that we have a very, very good combo guard to build around in the back court.

We also know what we have with Evan Taylor.  I'd like to see him groove his shot a bit and jump into the 30s on his 3-point shooting percent.  Also like to see him get that mid-range pull-up jumper grooved just a bit better, because that's a shot he can create for himself where he can do some damage if he's hitting it.  He has some room to improve and I think his ceiling is higher than the level he played at, but he adds a solid defender to our back court.  So, we have that also.

What we need is for either James Palmer, Anton Gill, or Thomas Allen to be good enough to leapfrog ET and jump into the starting lineup.  That could happen.  In fact, reasonably good chance it does happen.  What would be even better is if two of those guys leapfrog ET because that means we've really upgraded our backcourt talent.

Same thing at the wing spot.  We kinda know what we have with Zay Roby.  I expect he's going to come back next year a lot better version of himself over last year, but at a bare minimum, we have a guy who is sneaky athletic, great leaper, very good passer, very good ball handler especially for his size, and can get to the rim a la Shavon Shields.  If he plays wing instead of PF (which I would expect) then how good is the depth around him?  Depending on how things shake out with the guards, does Palmer challenge Isaiah for time at the 3?  What about Nana?  He realistically might be good enough to push both of those guys.

My point, I guess, is that we don't need everyone to make gigantic forward strides.  In fact, even if they all did, we wouldn't be able to see it because there just won't be enough minutes and shots to go around.  We just need the guys we know to come back with improvements in the areas that we and they know they need to improve.  And we need a couple of the newcomers to come in and make an impact, which odds are pretty good they will.

The only ones I'd say we really need to see take huge steps forward would be our two returning freshmen from last year.  Isaiah needs to become a perimeter threat in order to be a complete player and be the kind of weapon he has the potential to be.  And Jordy -- I fully expect Jordy is going to be a much better player as a sophomore than he was as a freshman.  And I say that in part because you could practically visualize his improvement on a game to game basis this past year.  I predicted he'd have a steep learning curve (which just means he'd improve rapidly) and I think that's what we saw from him.  The biggest gains are typically seen between the freshman and sophomore years.  Jordy should come back a beast, and Isaiah knows what he needs to do and I trust he's working on those things every day.

Aside from that, we just need good health all the way around.

10 minutes ago, KZRider said:

At one point I believe there was a question about Palmer's academic standing. Any word on that?

It's finals week so we should hopefully hear nothing about it in the next 10 days as he's made it through.

45 minutes ago, nustudent said:

It comes down to this for me:

-Copeland is 100% and fully eligible 

-Roby's growth

-Gill/Palmer/Akenten can overcome Taylor and man the 2

-One of Allen and Akenten prove to be a knock down 3 point threat

-Jordy avoids foul trouble.

-As to Copeland ... I strongly believe those things will be the case.

-Roby ... he'll be better.  He knows he needs to develop his shot and I trust he's working hard at it.  He'd love to play in the NBA and NBA wings can shoot the 3.  How much better he'll be is anyone's guess, but he's not going to go backwards, that's for sure.

-Gill/Palmer/Akenten ... well, Taylor might just improve his offense enough that Gill/Palmer/Akenten is a moot point.  Buuuut, Taylor might improve his offense and still get beaten out by Palmer from the things I've heard.

-Both will be.  But probability is that we'll only have enough minutes and touches for one of them to make an impact this year.

-Let's just say I'm not worried about Jordy.

I think Roby will improve and is a much better player than he demonstrated last year. If he can shore up his defense he will get a longer rope from Miles. I just worry Miles gets some of these talented kids and then the way they are handled causes them to be scared to make mistakes and they end up going into a shell. I know I will get heck for saying this, but I think that's what happened with Tai. Last year there was no choice but to let him do his thing and he played with more confidence and accomplished a lot more. I hope that happens with Roby earlier in his career.