State of the Program

Fastbreaker

3 hours ago, HB said:

At this point it comes down to recruiting.  I am absolutely amazed that there seems to be no news on the spring 2017 signing period, when we desperately need bodies; particularly bigs.   Even if we didn't account for Shepherd leaving, we should have been targeting Jucos, graduate transfers, and high school players who didn't sign in November, for months.   Maybe they'll pull a rabbit out of the hat, but it is already May.   If there were no stop gap measures being taken, it was simply a choice to tank another couple of seasons (the 2018 verbals so far aren't the type to immediately come in and get you a lot of wins; they will need experience).  So far we have signed zero 4/5 players who would be eligible in 20217-18, despite having a year to do so.  Very concerning.  

This was my point a week ago.  WE NEED BODIES!!  If we think we are going to get 4-5 high level players that are much better than RCJ this late in the game and on a team that won 7 games I think it's wishful thinking. We gotta hope we get 1 at this point!  It is going to be really hard to get the level of players that we were getting 2 years ago with the program in the state that it is in. We had two players sit out for injuries this season and a large number the year before.  With any injuries next year we could be in trouble.

Sadly the reason we aren't hearing any news is because the  players we have gone after are committing elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Canadian4NU said:

This was my point a week ago.  WE NEED BODIES!!  If we think we are going to get 4-5 high level players that are much better than RCJ this late in the game and on a team that won 7 games I think it's wishful thinking. We gotta hope we get 1 at this point!  It is going to be really hard to get the level of players that we were getting 2 years ago with the program in the state that it is in. We had two players sit out for injuries this season and a large number the year before.  With any injuries next year we could be in trouble.

Sadly the reason we aren't hearing any news is because the  players we have gone after are committing elsewhere.

I meant recruiting players at a much higher level than RCJ.  Players you compete in the Big 10 with. No offense to the young lady, who plays with good effort, but she isn't a Power 5 athlete or player.  Never gonna be.  And we have guards as good as her (and better if the transfers reputation is even close to deserved) to put on the floor.  What we don't have is any proven post players.   If we continue to be a bottom dweller, it will have nothing to do  with not offering RCJ.   It will be because this staff in the short term didn't add any inside players, and in the long term, just doesn't have the contacts and recruiting chops to get it done at this level.  Now, there's still time to prove they do.  But the early returns are troublesome, and the whole thing was a reach in the first place by our AD.  

This is a total rebuild project. Those take time. The Yori grand finale ensured that any momentum from her work wouldn't carry over: not the  reputation nor the brand.

Scandal can kill programs. It's why departments are so secretive about everything.

It was a nice run with Yori, but, like the football team, you can't just flip a switch and get your best days back.

Give it a few years. If you care about the sport, support the team. If only winning matters, become a UConn fan.

12 hours ago, tcp said:

This is a total rebuild project. Those take time. The Yori grand finale ensured that any momentum from her work wouldn't carry over: not the  reputation nor the brand.

Scandal can kill programs. It's why departments are so secretive about everything.

It was a nice run with Yori, but, like the football team, you can't just flip a switch and get your best days back.

Give it a few years. If you care about the sport, support the team. If only winning matters, become a UConn fan.

Having trouble following this narrative.    It isn't what happened.  I'm not interested in rehashing the two year old argument, but there was no scandal.  We had tremendous talent coming in.  The issues involved could have been fixed without blowing it all up. The brand and reputation would have been fine.  This was self-created program destruction at the Department level.  To that extent, I guess it was somewhat similar to football, where a rogue AD and a Chancellor who should have stuck to academics conspired for years to blow up the Devaney-Osborne era.   When things like this happen, ADs shouldn't be free from scrutiny, or the cycle keeps repeating itself.    At some point there will need to be accountability.  That concept isn't remotely only about winning. 

46 minutes ago, HB said:

Having trouble following this narrative.    It isn't what happened.  I'm not interested in rehashing the two year old argument, but there was no scandal.  We had tremendous talent coming in.  The issues involved could have been fixed without blowing it all up. The brand and reputation would have been fine.  This was self-created program destruction at the Department level.  To that extent, I guess it was somewhat similar to football, where a rogue AD and a Chancellor who should have stuck to academics conspired for years to blow up the Devaney-Osborne era.   When things like this happen, ADs shouldn't be free from scrutiny, or the cycle keeps repeating itself.    At some point there will need to be accountability.  That concept isn't remotely only about winning. 

Well said HB

I hope this will be my last blog on the subject of what happened with coach Yori.  I'm sure some believe what happened was totally justified and others think it was totally wrong.  The truth probably lies somewhere in between.  It's over and done and we can't change anything that happened.  We can always learn from the past and I'm sure many have.  I have been a big fan in the past and will continue to be in the future.  My biggest complaint is the poor coverage we get from the sports writers.  As noted in the past NU WBB gets much less coverage then about any other sport we have.

4 hours ago, HB said:

Understand, my comment isn't advocacy, it's simply the reality of the landscape, HB. The perception of these things is sufficient. With a lack of transparency, it's hard to know what could or could not have been "fixed". And I'd never disagree that an ad should be subject to critical scrutiny. But that's hard to do when you're not entirely sure exactly what is and isn't being criticized.

That's the thing about keeping dirty laundry in the closet: sure, it keeps the funky smell out of the rest of the house. But after awhile, when people notice that the door is never opened, they start wondering what's being hidden in there. And it usually turns out that people's imaginations are generally much worse than the truth being hid.

As to the centrality of winning, we'd just have to disagree here. Winning is everything to most fans. It's a conditioned response at this point. And you know full well that this topic exists largely because the women had a dismal season in terms of record.

5 hours ago, HB said:

Agree 100% HB.....and yep...it's well hashed over.... And done.  I kind of think we've moved forward now....onward and upward with Coach Amy. I'm very patient when it comes to her developing the program.

So  moving on...the 2018 class is coming together real well it appears. Room for one more probably.

Don't know if we can get another recruit for 2017...it's getting late. We're going to be better next season more than likely ....loss of a scoring post may or may not hurt us. We would have  been a much different team even with JS anyway. More experienced...more skilled at guard.

7 hours ago, huskerchode said:

I see that center Nancy Mulkey has been granted a release from OU.  Any chance we are interested or that she would be interested in us?  She was just a freshman this past season, highly ranked out of HS.  She's 6-9 BTW.

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/oklahoma-women-s-basketball-nancy-mulkey-to-transfer-from-sooners/article_62451030-340f-11e7-afff-ef04cd65fa80.html

Watched her play in one game this last season....she's pretty in need of meat on her bones...should red shirt and grow into her height.