Padding the Stats: Finding an Identity

On 4/25/2017 at 0:53 PM, bobcat402 said:

I like this and i think with some continued skill development, and strength, their may not be a better crunch time option than Jordy next year, he has size over almost every center in the big ten, we could come up with worse plays, than to clear the post and let Jordy ISO next season 

If we try to draw up a crunch-time isolation play for Jordy in the post, the defense is most likely going to rotate over to double team him.  He needs to work on his court vision and passing out of the post to sense when and from where that double team is coming, and kick the ball out to the open man for a shot.

I think we really need Jordy to get a better grasp of the screen and roll game.  He's big and athletic enough that he could be a terror if him and Glynn could figure it out.  That's a sure fire way to get our assists up.

Hello, all. I'm glad to read that some of you enjoy my work.

I can't remember saying anything particularly bad about Akenten. Something I've said probably more than once is that even if Nana doesn't turn into an all-conference player his floor seems pretty high as a long, athletic shooter, and teams can always use that type of player. He didn't crack the Rivals150 until their final update and I wasn't fortunate enough to have gotten the chance to see him play much if at all outside of highlight reels which are nothing to go buy. I was relying on how he was perceived by the scouting services and something I was told by someone I know who had seen him play. I actually like the fit quite a bit and he seems to have had a terrific senior season. 

I did indeed have that column 80% written before the Thomas Allen commitment. That certainly made for a more positive conclusion to the piece. It's starting to look more and more like Miles will have the pieces to form that identity I was talking about.

And I know it's not ground-breaking stuff, but my editors wanted me to start writing a weekly column with the offseason closing in and I thought I'd start with my read of where the program sits at this point. 

hhcdimes nailed the most important part. It doesn't matter if he has an idea in his head of what he wants his team's identity to be it doesn't play out on the court, and it won't if he doesn't have the right kind of players to run that system. 

I certainly am a Creighton fan. I'm an alumnus who has lived in Omaha my whole life. But hard as it may be for some to believe, I've never hated Nebraska basketball like most Creighton fans seem to. I'm definitely not a fan, but I'm not out to get the program with anything I write. And as someone who has to watch these games, I'd much rather see the Huskers play good basketball than the alternative. Writing about winning is more enjoyable than losing. At the end of the day, I write about what I see.

I appreciate the kind words thebasketballjones, Nebrasketball Jake and dimes. 

I checked out the other discussion about my column, and dimes, you have a good point about assists. You're right that ball movement is the kind of basketball I was raised on (Steve Nash is my favorite player of all time). But looking at last year's team, it seems like a lot of the players on the roster are guys who needed offense created for them in order to be effective. I's fine if ball movement isn't something Nebraska prioritizes, but for the dribble-drive offense to work Miles needs better floor spacing and more guys that can actually convert those opportunities into points.

11 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I've never hated Nebraska basketball like most Creighton fans seem to.

...is a pretty glowing statement from someone tasked with covering the team for a rag called "Hail Varsity".  Congratulations, you don't actively hate the team you cover, or at least not as much as most other Creighton fans do...

Edited by 49r

Jacob, thanks for coming on to join our discussion.  You seem a reasonable fellow.  I appreciate that.

I used to read the Bluejay Underground message board from time to time.  Primarily, I would check out their recruiting info because -- giving credit where it's due -- they would often be way ahead of the curve on what players were being offered, etc.  That's where I saw a reference to Nana who, at the time, was our latest commit.  And when I say your comment damned him with faint praise, what I mean by that is a compliment so understated that it almost comes across like an insult.  It's like if you were to give your girlfriend a 2 carat diamond engagement ring and she looks at it, shrugs her shoulders, and says "I guess it will do."  Or the way some critic once described Fred Astaire as someone "slightly bald and can dance a little."  I'm not going to go back and look for the exact quote, but that's basically what your comment about Akenten sounded like.  Yeah, he's an OK player, but limited ability and isn't going to fix much of what ails Nebraska's roster.

I don't have a problem with you saying that.  What I guess troubles me is that my entire experience of reading your writing prior to you taking a position with Hail Varsity was seeing your posts on a Creighton message board.  And for someone who is an acknowledged Creighton fan to write a critical reflection of Nebraska's basketball program for a Husker publication like Hail Varsity just comes off disingenuous.  It almost seems like you should preface any column about Nebraska basketball with the disclaimer that you're a life-long Creighton fan and are offering somewhat of an outsider's view.

Maybe if you threw in a little rah-rah from time to time, the critical comments would have more ... authenticity? 

I'm honestly not trying to be an ass about this, I'm just making an observation that I'm sure other people have thought of but just not posted publicly.

Best regards,

Norm

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Jacob, thanks for coming on to join our discussion.  You seem a reasonable fellow.  I appreciate that.

I used to read the Bluejay Underground message board from time to time.  Primarily, I would check out their recruiting info because -- giving credit where it's due -- they would often be way ahead of the curve on what players were being offered, etc.  That's where I saw a reference to Nana who, at the time, was our latest commit.  And when I say your comment damned him with faint praise, what I mean by that is a compliment so understated that it almost comes across like an insult.  It's like if you were to give your girlfriend a 2 carat diamond engagement ring and she looks at it, shrugs her shoulders, and says "I guess it will do."  Or the way some critic once described Fred Astaire as someone "slightly bald and can dance a little."  I'm not going to go back and look for the exact quote, but that's basically what your comment about Akenten sounded like.  Yeah, he's an OK player, but limited ability and isn't going to fix much of what ails Nebraska's roster.

I don't have a problem with you saying that.  What I guess troubles me is that my entire experience of reading your writing prior to you taking a position with Hail Varsity was seeing your posts on a Creighton message board.  And for someone who is an acknowledged Creighton fan to write a critical reflection of Nebraska's basketball program for a Husker publication like Hail Varsity just comes off disingenuous.  It almost seems like you should preface any column about Nebraska basketball with the disclaimer that you're a life-long Creighton fan and are offering somewhat of an outsider's view.

Maybe if you threw in a little rah-rah from time to time, the critical comments would have more ... authenticity? 

I'm honestly not trying to be an ass about this, I'm just making an observation that I'm sure other people have thought of but just not posted publicly.

Best regards,

Norm

He said he writes about what he sees. Other than the Allen commit, what has there been rah-rah to write about lately? I feel like Jacob has been fair when critiquing Nebrasketball.

26 minutes ago, bkamler said:

This knee jerk hatred of all things Creighton is so childish. I know of no one who supports Husker basketball more than myself (since 1956 at age 6) but I totally respect CU basketball and root for them whenever they are not playing the Huskers.

Well, just because you root for Creighton doesn't mean you are any more mature then the Husker fan who roots against CU in every game.  It's just a choice of what teams you love, like, don't care about, or hate. That's what fans are about.  Has nothing to do with "childish".   There are a bunch of Yankee-Red Sox fans, OU vs. OSU (The "Aggie rivalries"), MU vs. KU fans.   There would be millions of "childish" people, I guess.  

If you choose to root for Creighton, fine and dandy.  But it's a choice, not a badge of honor.    Someone who enjoys rooting against them in every game isn't being childish.  They're being sports fans. 

Are  you equally critical of Jayskers who root for NU football and hate NU Basketball?  

Edited by HB

One can hate a team yet still respect them.  Oklahoma football is a prime example; I hated them, but respected them.  Texas on the other hand I didn't respect their program and I hated them with all my heart.  I do respect the Creighton team for the most part (sans a player or two).  I can honestly say I could never cheer for them in any manner.  And lastly, the Jayskers are still impossible for me to understand.  I simply cannot comprehend how you can cheer for the Huskers during an afternoon football game, then take off your red, and put on a blue sweater vest that evening to cheer against the Big Red basketball or baseball team.   What the heck is wrong with my sister and brother-in-law?????????

4 hours ago, 49r said:

...is a pretty glowing statement from someone tasked with covering the team for a rag called "Hail Varsity".  Congratulations, you don't actively hate the team you cover, or at least not as much as most other Creighton fans do...

Do I need to be a fan of a team to cover it? Is that what fans want in terms of coverage of their teams, just total homer writing?

I don't feel strongly about Nebraska either way. At this point of my life, covering the Huskers is a job and I try to do that as best I can.

32 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

One can hate a team yet still respect them.  Oklahoma football is a prime example; I hated them, but respected them.  Texas on the other hand I didn't respect their program and I hated them with all my heart.  I do respect the Creighton team for the most part (sans a player or two).  I can honestly say I could never cheer for them in any manner.  And lastly, the Jayskers are still impossible for me to understand.  I simply cannot comprehend how you can cheer for the Huskers during an afternoon football game, then take off your red, and put on a blue sweater vest that evening to cheer against the Big Red basketball or baseball team.   What the heck is wrong with my sister and brother-in-law?????????

I'll bite. I was born and raised in Omaha during the '90s. Thus, I watched Husker football games. As I grew older, my family started going to Creighton games, and I became a fan of them as well. Then I attended Creighton and grew into a fan of all of their sports.

I have no allegiance to the University of Nebraska. Bu I enjoy watching football and the Huskers are the football team I grew up watching. 

I don't understand why it's so hard for some to understand or why cheering for both is so hated. If Creighton had a football team, the phenomenon may not exist to this degree. But Nebraska as a state loves its football, and that includes Omaha. Would you prefer Omaha residents cheered for some random team they have no connection or proximity to? Why does it matter to you so much? (For the record, that goes for Creighton fans that hate "Jayskers" too)

I don't understand why people care so much about what sports teams other people enjoy watching.

43 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Just curious why you hate Texas so much and have no respect for their program?

9 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Do I need to be a fan of a team to cover it?

No, but it probably helps from a perceived objectivity standpoint to not be a fan for that team's rival.

Do you think you'd be pretty excited to see a Wichita State grad writing for White & Blue Review?

...and as for your second post...

8 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I have no allegiance to the University of Nebraska.

Probably sums up why people have a problem with so called Jayskers.  Especially ones who are supposed to be covering their favorite team.

6 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I'll bite. I was born and raised in Omaha during the '90s. Thus, I watched Husker football games. As I grew older, my family started going to Creighton games, and I became a fan of them as well. Then I attended Creighton and grew into a fan of all of their sports.

I have no allegiance to the University of Nebraska. Bu I enjoy watching football and the Huskers are the football team I grew up watching. 

I don't understand why it's so hard for some to understand or why cheering for both is so hated. If Creighton had a football team, the phenomenon may not exist to this degree. But Nebraska as a state loves its football, and that includes Omaha. Would you prefer Omaha residents cheered for some random team they have no connection or proximity to? Why does it matter to you so much? (For the record, that goes for Creighton fans that hate "Jayskers" too)

I don't understand why people care so much about what sports teams other people enjoy watching.

Jacob 

No you don't have to love a team to cover them.  No most don't want all things homerish when someone does cover a team. Then again, I don't want all things anti Huskers when someone is covering them (see Dirk at the OWH).  

No one here is telling you who you can cheer for, nor should they.  You want to like Creighton, have at it.  Don't expect me to.  As CWG pointed out, what they have done in basketball of late is good.  That said, if they lost every game next year that would not be enough for me.  I think the issue here is when folks come here and want to talk Creighton on a Nebraska board.

Disagree that Creighton fans hate Jayskers, most of them ARE Jayskers.

Finally, Creighton does have a football team, just the silly kind that doesn't allow use of the hands.

6 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I know it may difficult to understand, and it is difficult to explain...I love my sister, but I do not understand how she can flip that fan switch on and off.  Makes no sense to me.  A Jaysker cannot direct their donations (or at least I can't, but I am not a "major" contributor), so if a Jaysker donates (for example) $10,000 to Nebraska athletics, part of that money is supporting the basketball program...yet instead of going to Husker basketball games, they go to Jays games. 

6 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Just curious why you hate Texas so much and have no respect for their program?

Because of some of their actions when they joined the Big 8 conference.  Granted many of the old Big 8 schools allowed it to happen, but my impression was that their behavior was akin to a school yard bully.  Part of that may be perception rather than reality, but that perception/reality stuck with me...and many other Nebraska fans. 

48 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I know it may difficult to understand, and it is difficult to explain...I love my sister, but I do not understand how she can flip that fan switch on and off.  Makes no sense to me.  A Jaysker cannot direct their donations (or at least I can't, but I am not a "major" contributor), so if a Jaysker donates (for example) $10,000 to Nebraska athletics, part of that money is supporting the basketball program...yet instead of going to Husker basketball games, they go to Jays games. 

I'm a journalist. I'm not going to be donating money to anyone. I like watching my favorite teams on TV and occasionally in person when I get the chance.

Jacob: I, for one, am glad to have you here. At least you present a somewhat different point of view and are not a troll. Journalists are always welcome and usually have some bits of inside information unavailable to the rest of us. I'll even offer to lend you a "Walter" for an avatar. How about Walter "Boom-boom" Beck?