Padding the Stats: Finding an Identity

Jacob's a good dude. I may be in the minority on this board, but I enjoy the content he puts out and admire the work he puts in. That dude is everywhere. Not a bad article by any means. He's right. What kind of team are we gonna be next year? Will that be the kind of team we are designed to be for years to come?

4 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Jacob's a good dude. I may be in the minority on this board, but I enjoy the content he puts out and admire the work he puts in. That dude is everywhere. Not a bad article by any means. He's right. What kind of team are we gonna be next year? Will that be the kind of team we are designed to be for years to come?

This is going to sound like a no brainer given the woes on the defensive end this season, but I feel like defensive schematics may be in for complete and total overhaul. With the roster we're gonna have next year, I think we could be in zone quite a bit. A good bit of length and athleticism quite different from years past

15 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

He might be a good dude, but he's way too much of a Creighton homer to be writing for a Husker periodical, IMO. 

Someone sent me a link of a BJU discussion, which I clicked on against my better judgment.  And there was a discussion about Husker recruiting in which Mr. Padilla made a comment damning Nana Akenten with faint praise.  (Don't recall his exact words and I'm not going to look for them.)  Basically said he was mediocre and wouldn't make our mediocre team any better.  Something like that.  Our recruiting is blah, we got one player who isn't horrible, but ...  Kind of about that sentiment.

Very superficial analysis, which was the word that popped into my head while reading the above-linked piece.  I'm sure he does a much more thorough job of analyzing Husker football.

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

We have discussed, actually

Ah, didn't make it that far in that thread. 

But to clarify, I said, "nothing we haven't discussed here on HHC," implying we've discussed many of the things presented in his article already. 

To your post in that thread (this is getting so meta we're so cool), I don't think being a dribble drive offense necessarily implies you're going to be a low assist team. Our low assist numbers are more indicative of our low FG% more than anything else, I'd imagine (without actually seeing the stats, and knowing you're pulling up some fantastic Kenpom stat to disprove/shove down my throats like a Duby dunk). 

But, again, Jacob's a good dude and I've really enjoyed watching his career develop and begin to take-off. I think he has a bright future and is certainly willing to put in the time, make the mistakes, learn, and work hard. Something I can't say about a lot of younger writers. 

Edited by basketballjones

30 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

He might be a good dude, but he's way too much of a Creighton homer to be writing for a Husker periodical, IMO. 

Someone sent me a link of a BJU discussion, which I clicked on against my better judgment.  And there was a discussion about Husker recruiting in which Mr. Padilla made a comment damning Nana Akenten with faint praise.  (Don't recall his exact words and I'm not going to look for them.)  Basically said he was mediocre and wouldn't make our mediocre team any better.  Something like that.  Our recruiting is blah, we got one player who isn't horrible, but ...  Kind of about that sentiment.

Very superficial analysis, which was the word that popped into my head while reading the above-linked piece.  I'm sure he does a much more thorough job of analyzing Husker football.

That's the thing, Norm, and probably why there's a mix of opinions on the value of what he writes about Nebrasketball.  There are those of us who've read what he writes on BJU and those who haven't.  For those of us who have we have seen his true prejudices and it makes us a little leery of his genuineness when writing what is presumably an unbiased blog about the Huskers.  Superficial is a good way to put it.

I have no doubt that he may be a nice kid and knows his stuff, but I believe the bias is still there (consciously or otherwise), and therefore am inclined to take his words with a grain of salt.

Now, were he to come post over here at HHC and defend his position I may be forced to gain a little more respect for his work.  But for now, I'm inclined to see him as just a Creighton fan/homer and with that in mind read him accordingly.

Just now, 49r said:

That's the thing, Norm, and probably why there's a mix of opinions on the value of what he writes about Nebrasketball.  There are those of us who've read what he writes on BJU and those who haven't.  For those of us who have we have seen his true prejudices and it makes us a little leery of his genuineness when writing what is presumably an unbiased blog about the Huskers.  Superficial is a good way to put it.

I have no doubt that he may be a nice kid and knows his stuff, but I believe the bias is still there (consciously or otherwise), and therefore am inclined to take his words with a grain of salt.

Now, were he to come post over here at HHC and defend his position I may be forced to gain a little more respect for his work.  But for now, I'm inclined to see him as just a Creighton fan/homer and with that in mind read him accordingly.

Don't disagree with anything you said. And I'm currently wasting far too much time defending someone who doesn't need defenders and I honestly don't care either way, but - can't what you said basically he said about all Omaha sports writers, lol? 

Also, I take everything with a grain of salt. Tastes better that way and everytime I go to the doctor they never seem to say my sodium intake needs to go down. 

Well, I'm willing to poke the bear here, but I find a lot more objectivity from Jacob and the World-Herald people than I find at LJS. There's a reason Sipple is know as Steve Suckup. I don't always agree with Sam, Lee and the rest, but they're experienced journalists and I respect their (sometimes negative) opinions. Pleasing HHC isn't the sign of good journalism.

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Well, I'm willing to poke the bear here, but I find a lot more objectivity from Jacob and the World-Herald people than I find at LJS. There's a reason Sipple is know as Steve Suckup. I don't always agree with Sam, Lee and the rest, but they're experienced journalists and I respect their (sometimes negative) opinions. Pleasing HHC isn't the sign of good journalism.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Not questioning the quality of journalism at the OWH, their guys love to make outlandish comments about things that they know nothing about just to garner a reaction. They've got the awards to show for the fact their damn good at what they do. They also think very highly of themselves and not much else

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

To your post in that thread (this is getting so meta we're so cool), I don't think being a dribble drive offense necessarily implies you're going to be a low assist team. Our low assist numbers are more indicative of our low FG% more than anything else, I'd imagine (without actually seeing the stats, and knowing you're pulling up some fantastic Kenpom stat to disprove/shove down my throats like a Duby dunk). 

His best shooting team was his NCAA tourney CSU team

40.0% from 3 (8th)

50.1% from 2 (88th)

53.0% eFG% (34th)

50.9% assist rate (241st)

With the way he runs his offense his best shooting teams will still be at best middling assist teams. I listed Duke and Kentucky in the other thread as teams that also don't generate a high assist % while constantly being among the most efficient offenses in Div 1.

I'd say the problem isn't lack of identity. At its core Miles wants his team to drive to the basket for easy buckets/fouls while setting up open 3 point shots. On defense he wants to play a pack line defense to prevent driving lanes. More specifically, I think he wants 2 post players (1 who can shoot 3s, one who is a true post) and 3 combo guards/wings on the court.  

I'd say that a lot of the muddled results is that he chosen star rankings over most everything else when putting together this roster. Considering how hard it's been to get talented guys to come here, can you blame him? 

When i have talked to some friends about Nebrasketball (friends that follow it, but not very passionately) and they ask me why hasn't Miles been able to replicate his tourney team in his second season, what I have told them is that he really has.

When I watch his teams today and his team in the tourney year, they aren't that much different....the only difference is they rode a wave and a player (petteway) into the tourney....and the shots Petteway made in some of those wins, if you ask me were horrible shots, but they went in...and wins resulted.

I really don't think that team was that much better than what we saw this year...it just found ways to win.

3 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

When I watch his teams today and his team in the tourney year, they aren't that much different....the only difference is they rode a wave and a player (petteway) into the tourney....and the shots Petteway made in some of those wins, if you ask me were horrible shots, but they went in...and wins resulted.

To me the thing I'm missing is the alpha dog.  I know that was sort of Shavon and Tai but really those guys were more lead-by-example-complementary players than the take-charge-guy you were looking to for the last 2 minutes. I don't know that TP made anyone better or anything like that has much as he exerted his hating to lose persona on the team.  

The next most talented veteran is now Glynn and this hasn't really been his personality either. Side Note: I think him taking the last shot will be an improvement because I know he can take and make tough shots. Who is going to step up on the leadership role on this team? Taylor and Gill seem like they have the personality, especially off the court, but at this point I don't think they're the best options on the court in crunch time. This sort of stuff matters when we're talking about toss up games. 

14 hours ago, 49r said:

But for now, I'm inclined to see him as just a Creighton fan/homer and with that in mind read him accordingly.

I'll say I'm inclined to like his stuff enough though I know he's going to root for CU over NU when they play

Personally, I think the most natural born leader on the team is Jordy, at least from the guys that played last year. Taylor has some of that in him, too. And perhaps, Gill. But none of them will be the focal point of anything we do. Can your "alpha dog" be a guy that isn't an upperclassman, your star or even a main contributor? If Glynn can find that, he'll take his game to the next level.