Duby Okeke is N

Huskerpapa

21 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

Not trying to downplay this but is that good? So the 140" is his highest reach on the jump? Anyone know his standing reach to determine what kind of vertical that is? I mean that's only 20" above the rim. Not complaining, just wondering.

I'm breathlessly waiting for the video of your hand two feet above the rim. 

20 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

Not trying to downplay this but is that good? So the 140" is his highest reach on the jump? Anyone know his standing reach to determine what kind of vertical that is? I mean that's only 20" above the rim. Not complaining, just wondering.

It's a measure of his jumping ability plus his wingspan. A shorter player who could jump just as high wouldn't hit the same height. It's relevant for his shot blocking ability...which he has.

Michael Jacobson had 33 inches on his vertical jump. Okeke might break that.

I always take measurables with a little bit of a grain of salt personally because, while they're great to know, I think they are somewhat meaningless if a player doesn't have a sort of instinctive feel for the game.

There was a legend back in the day about Alex English and his ability to jump.  It was said he could stack quarters on the top of the backboard he could get up so high.  But other than that there wasn't much terribly notable about his game.  Of course, some of that may have something to do with the fact he was on the Nuggets, but I digress...

I just liked the video.  It does go to illustrate just how looooong this kid is.  And I like to se that! :) 

43 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

Yes.  That's very good.  From a standing, 2 foot take-off, this kid can touch 11 feet, 8 inches. 

Knowing how high he can touch is probably more relevant than knowing his vertical leap.  A shorter guy with short arms but a fantastic vertical leap won't come close to what this guy is able to do.  Takes an awful lot of extra leap to overtake 4 extra inches of arm length.

Now we know why this guy was able to block so many shots: If the bottom part of the ball is lower than about 12 feet, this guy can get to it.  That means just about any floater in the lane.

17 minutes ago, 49r said:

There was a legend back in the day about Alex English and his ability to jump.  It was said he could stack quarters on the top of the backboard he could get up so high.

I think you're confusing Alex English with Ronnie DeRosa, the Big D, put a dollar on top of the backboard, brought back change.  Badabing.

Pretty damned impressive for a standing vertical reach.  Add a bunch if he gets a step.  What an athlete.

Can we stop posting about Jacobsons supposed vertical?  I don't care what they measured him at, the guy had major problems with completing a basic 2-hand dunk over his 2 years here.  I know Boyd's tests had him inexplicably rated as our best athlete, but my eyeballs said he was about as chumpy as they come in comparison to his teammates when it came to live basketball action.

This is what a real athlete looks like.

Edited by HF_
Spell

4 hours ago, ajb5856 said:

Also, while I don't know what his standing vertical (his leap as opposed to his reach) measured, we, on this board, have a history of drawing in the angle of leg bend and comparing heights of people based on some line on the back wall, etc.

If you stop the video at the apex of his jump, at that point, his heels are roughly equal to the line of the red carpet in the background.  Where that red line intersects with the upright post for the vertical leap deal is at about mid-thigh on Duby when he's standing next to it.  I'm going to guess he's 30 inches or better on a standing vertical, which is pretty darned good.  We're talking standing vertical here, with no steps.

Edited by Norm Peterson

That's a pretty darn impressive standing vertical jump, especially for a big man.  Can't wait to see him swat someone's shot in November.  Not sure how good he'll be overall but I'll bet he will have some highlight reel moments for us.  Thanks for sharing the video!

7 hours ago, 49r said:

I always take measurables with a little bit of a grain of salt personally because, while they're great to know, I think they are somewhat meaningless if a player doesn't have a sort of instinctive feel for the game.

There was a legend back in the day about Alex English and his ability to jump.  It was said he could stack quarters on the top of the backboard he could get up so high.  But other than that there wasn't much terribly notable about his game.  Of course, some of that may have something to do with the fact he was on the Nuggets, but I digress...

I just liked the video.  It does go to illustrate just how looooong this kid is.  And I like to se that! :) 

Alex English?   IIRC, he was more of a George Gervin  type athlete and player.  Not at all a Darrell Griffith, Dominique Wilkins, Dr J get off the floor and soar kind of player.

21 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

his athleticism excites me until i remember he shot 26% from the line and averaged 3 ppg.

hope he's working on his game.

He definitely degressed as his time at Winthrop went on. At his best he averaged 4.9pts, 4.8reb, 2.5blks and shot ~65% overall and ~50% from the line.

Hopefully we can get him functioning at that level and build on it.

2 hours ago, khoock said:

He definitely degressed as his time at Winthrop went on. At his best he averaged 4.9pts, 4.8reb, 2.5blks and shot ~65% overall and ~50% from the line.

Hopefully we can get him functioning at that level and build on it.

I'm hopeful that, like in the NBA or NFL, sometimes it just takes a player getting around the right players, situation, or in the right system!

Edited by jason2486