Duby Okeke is N

Huskerpapa

16 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

he shot 55% from the ft line as a freshman. if he can get to that 55% and keep his fouls down, he will be a big asset.

Numbers suggest a bit of a story here.

He averaged 13.7 minutes as a freshman and scored 4.4 ppg.

Then, he jumped up to almost 18 minutes as a sophomore and was averaging about 5 pts and 5 bds/game.

Then, junior year, instead of taking a big leap forward, he drops back to 14 min/game and 3.2 pts, the lowest scoring output -- overall but also in terms of points per minute played -- in his career at Winthrop.

And then he transfers.

My best guess is we'll get something more approximating his sophomore year numbers from him.  Fewer than 20 minutes, but he'll have room to score and rebound at a Michael Jacobson-esque pace.

Edited by Norm Peterson

I see no reason why he can't produce very similarly to what Ed did. He appears to be every bit as athletic, and possibly even a better vertical. And a 7'4" wing span is ridiculous! I believe that is the same as Jordy's. Now one can say his numbers weren't great, but maybe being surrounded by better players will allow him to produce at a higher rate and level.

9 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

I see no reason why he can't produce very similarly to what Ed did. He appears to be every bit as athletic, and possibly even a better vertical. And a 7'4" wing span is ridiculous! I believe that is the same as Jordy's. Now one can say his numbers weren't great, but maybe being surrounded by better players will allow him to produce at a higher rate and level.

We'll have to see.  Duby's junior numbers are probably misleading.  He was much better as a freshman and sophomore.  If he'd taken a jump forward from his sophomore year, he'd have averaged Ed-like numbers for Winthrop but, instead, he took a leap backwards.

It's clear he has athleticism in spades.  Great length.  Good size.  Does he have Ed's nose for the ball? 

Let's be honest.  Ed wasn't very skilled, but he was athletic (so is Duby) and tough (yet to be seen with Duby.)  Ed's primary strength as a player, in fact, was his toughness.  Among his many weaknesses were that he didn't want to play the position for which he's best suited (which Duby obviously doesn't have an issue with) and, from what I understand, he wasn't willing to put in the work that would have developed the skills he needed to develop in order to play the position he wanted to play.

I have a prediction that we'll never know the answer to:  If Ed had stayed, he would not have started.  He would have backed up Jordy at the 5.  Which is what Duby is probably going to be doing.  And, when you're talking about a backup, you're not going to probably see a whole lot of difference between the numbers Ed would have put up in 15-18 minutes versus the numbers Duby will probably put up in 15-18 minutes.

I mean, to be somewhat crude about this, comparing which back up would have posted the best stat line is a little bit like arguing which Shim Sham dancer had the best legs.

(That was a visual even I didn't need and I'm mad at you guys for making me try to come up with an analogy.  Darn you.)

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I mean, to be somewhat crude about this, comparing which back up would have posted the best stat line is a little bit like arguing which Shim Sham dancer had the best legs.

The problem is that the comparison holds up as well as the Shim-Shams if they have to dance longer because Jordy is in foul trouble. ;)

On 4/23/2017 at 9:15 PM, hal9000 said:

I tell you, his highlights video make him look like we're getting Shaquile O'Neal.  I needed to see some full length Winthrop games to see what he looks like on offense and defense in the coarse of a full game.   

How did he look on an outlet after rebound?