Next season starters?

Row6Seat10

My new list:

Bria

Janay

Rachel (assuming healthy and ready to go, fingers crossed)

Kate 'Raising' Cain

Nicea

Solid minutes from Hannah, Maddie, Jasmine, Grace, Taylor and hopefully see some of Emily Wood.  Hopefully Washington will step it up, we may really need her.  Maybe that other girl that transferred was having an ill effect on Darrien and holding her back.  Let the beast be unleashed!

Hard to tell who our starters will be for the upcoming season at this time.  A lot will depend on who comes ready to play and every ones health.  Opportunities for playing time for all 12 presently on the roster.  Coach Williams said she is looking for a rotation of 10 players.  Will be interesting to see who steps up.  A year under the belt in a new system will help and a big jump in team chemistry should have a big impact as well.

Hard to tell who our starters will be for the upcoming season at this time.  A lot will depend on who comes ready to play and every ones health.  Opportunities for playing time for all 12 presently on the roster.  Coach Williams said she is looking for a rotation of 10 players.  Will be interesting to see who steps up.  A year under the belt in a new system will help and a big jump in team chemistry should have a big impact as well.

People will be a bitching about the 10 man rotation. I guess if you have 10 players that can play, play em.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

With our easier non conference schedule this fall we will have a better chance to get some playing time under better circumstances for our 4 new players then we had last year.  Another big change will be the amount of competition at the guard position which will serve us well.  We will have a big improvement in experience and talent.  At his time we have four players (Bria, Janay, Nicea & Hannah) who have been regular starters competing for three positions which should be fun to watch.  Right behind them we will have part time starters in the past in Jasmine and Maddie who hopefully will play with more confidence with a proven PG.  The most interesting may be where and how much Taylor plays.  As a 5 star recruit she will be a key for us somewhere.

20 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

People will be a bitching about the 10 man rotation. I guess if you have 10 players that can play, play em.

Play the number needed to win.  Why I think it's important to fill all of the available ships.  Injuries happen so you may need to go deeper down the bench and no offense to the walk-ons all programs need them, but scholarship players give you better players to practice against (more times than not) each day.

Play the number needed to win.  Why I think it's important to fill all of the available ships.  Injuries happen so you may need to go deeper down the bench and no offense to the walk-ons all programs need them, but scholarship players give you better players to practice against (more times than not) each day.

The PBA was filled with why doesn't the coach play just 7 last year. They didnt/don't understand that Williams plays 10 sometimes 12 players. I posted last year that coach likes to play her bench. All the people have to do is go to the So. Dakota Web site and see the minute's that she gave her bench.

3 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

The PBA was filled with why doesn't the coach play just 7 last year. They didnt/don't understand that Williams plays 10 sometimes 12 players. I posted last year that coach likes to play her bench. All the people have to do is go to the So. Dakota Web site and see the minute's that she gave her bench.

I have to believe that if you know you will be playing at least a few quality minutes that will have a big impact on your attitude.

18 hours ago, HUD said:

I have to believe that if you know you will be playing at least a few quality minutes that will have a big impact on your attitude.

I think it cuts both ways.  It might boost the morale of the players at the end of the bench, but it might not do so much for the players at or near the top of the rotation.

The real question is whether you have the quality depth to go 12 deep.  So, for example, if going 12 deep means that -- oh just to use some names from the not-too-distant past -- Hannah Tvrdy is getting 12 minutes and Emily Cady is getting 20 minutes ...

Are you hurting yourself by not having your best players in?  And there's a balance between playing your stars too much that they get fatigued (oh, they can probably handle 38 minutes every now and again, but you probably wouldn't want to ride them that hard every night) versus putting lower caliber players on the floor.  Is a slightly winded Emily Cady still better than a fresh Hannah Tvrdy? 

I think most people would probably take a slightly winded Emily Cady any day.  And twice on Sundays, whatever that means.

Simple math tells me you can have a ten player rotation like Coach Williams wants and has used in the past with your starters averaging 30 minutes and the next five 10.  That is plenty for the starters especially if you are a running team.  You also have many variables about who plays how much with injuries, foul trouble, someone having a hot hand or someone else having an off night.  The biggest of all may be match ups against our opposition that night.

34 minutes ago, HUD said:

Simple math tells me you can have a ten player rotation like Coach Williams wants and has used in the past with your starters averaging 30 minutes and the next five 10.  That is plenty for the starters especially if you are a running team.  You also have many variables about who plays how much with injuries, foul trouble, someone having a hot hand or someone else having an off night.  The biggest of all may be match ups against our opposition that night.

Not to quibble too much, because 10 deep I could see, but the averages would probably be more like 25 minutes for the 5 starters and 15 minutes for the next 5 off the bench.

Amy's last team at SD was weird.  She only had 4 players going more than 20 min/game.  She had 8 others who got at least 8 min/game.  So, that's 12 deep.  And now you're into the territory of the hypothetical I posed above, which was playing Hannah Tvrdy 12 minutes and Emily Cady 20.  Hey, if player #12 is that good, do it.  But I think it's generally unlikely.

It's more likely you'd see something like her 2nd to last team at SD, where the starters averaged roughly 25 min/game and the next 5 reserves about 15.

Style of play and quality of bench are the big factors in this discussion.