Just what the doctor ordered...

Huskerpapa

I was pretty sure that SE was going to come out next week and tell us that Miles was going to be back year but TBH I wasn't 100% sure until about two hours ago. Huge signing that sort of stabilizes the part of the fan base that needs stabilizing + more importantly lands us our guard of the future. 

If we can come out of this somehow with Ernst and some combination of the two graduate bigs and Chandler(or one more scorer if we have one in mind) we can come out of this in better position than we were before all of these transfers.  That would be one hell of a Houdini act by Miles and his staff. 

2 hours ago, khoock said:

Wish list as of now (being realistic):

-Scholarship 1= One of the two grad transfers

-Scholarship 2= Ernst or Chandler or another big with more than 1 yr of elegibility

-Scholarship 3= Mayes or Darrington

Yes, we need one more guard.  I'd prefer a freshman over a junior just looking at the roster.  All depends on whether the rumors about Palmer (academic casualty) are true or not.  If Palmer is out, we need Darrington in.

7 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I was pretty sure that SE was going to come out next week and tell us that Miles was going to be back year but TBH I wasn't 100% sure until about two hours ago. Huge signing that sort of stabilizes the part of the fan base that needs stabilizing + more importantly lands us our guard of the future. 

The sky is falling fan base.

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Yes, we need one more guard.  I'd prefer a freshman over a junior just looking at the roster.  All depends on whether the rumors about Palmer (academic casualty) are true or not.  If Palmer is out, we need Darrington in.

If I'm going super best case scenario (in my opinion):

-Duby, just bc I think his injury history is less severe. And which ever big body we get has to be reliable and be able to play.

-Ernst bc he's got good height and can space the floor. Does he have 3 to play anyone know?

-Darrington bc he can score and shoot at a high rate and you can never have to much of that especially if you're us.

Plus I like how that balances out the classes. 

SR: Taylor, Gill, and Oweke

JR: McVeigh, Watson, Copeland, Palmer, Darrington

SO: Roby, Tshimanga, Ernst

FR: Nana, Allen

JR class is still a little heavy but I'd like what Darrington can provide over Tyler Mayes.

I think Ernst has 3 yrs left but I definitely could be wrong. Plus Chandler probs needs a RS year and I want as many good bodies as possible to really ratchet up competition for PT.

I believe someone on here said Palmer would make grades and it was just a scare.

Definitely a big pickup.  I was out of town this week without my computer, so was anxious to see if there were any additional  changes to our roster.  Very pleasantly surprised to see that the change was a major addition, rather than a major subtraction.  It also seems that with the season further and further in our rear window, that hopefully that means we will be keeping the rest of the band together.  

I still have reservations about this coming year, which honestly will only be sated with wins.  But if the coaches can re-tool our offense and defense around the talent we have, and if they can find a way to get buy-in from the players for a full season, then we've at least got a chance at a good year.  And that's far more optimistic than I felt a week ago.  If nothing else, this shows that Miles and Hunter can recruit in any situation, even when handicapped by a lame-duck contract.  My concerns about Miles remain, but I'm happy to see us land a major piece to next year's (and hopefully the following three years') puzzle.

Listen, aphilso, I feel your pain.

But there were really only a couple of pieces we needed and we just got a big half of those pieces with Thomas Allen.

The other piece is another big to make up for the loss of either Ed or Michael.  With the emergence of Jordy at the end of the season, I didn't think we had room for both MJ and Ed in the starting lineup anyway.  And, with the addition of Isaac Copeland, I wasn't sure we had room in the starting lineup for either one of them.  What we needed or or the other for was depth in the front line.  

At this point, IMO, we just need one more guy.

I feel good about our starting rotation and I feel good about our depth except in one area.

I agree that we have most of the pieces in place, especially with the addition of Allen.  It certainly makes it easier to be more optimistic about next season.  That being said, I don't think our post problem automatically gets fixed by adding a backup for Jordy.  A few of the concerns I still have for next year:

1. Who's going to rebound?  That was one of the few things we actually did well last season, and the two biggest reasons why just left.  Also, Jordy was much more effective in this area when playing alongside either Ed or Michael.  Can Copeland be an above average rebounder at the 4?  Can Roby?  We know Jack isn't.  So if we're not getting boards from our 4, then either

A. our 5 has to be a beast on the glass, or

B. our guards need to give serious production.  Not sure we're really built for either of those things.

2. Will the team gel?  Yes, we've added some players that, on paper, appear to be good.  We've heard that story before, but unfortunately increases in talent haven't resulted in more wins.  Gotta play better as a team.

3. Will our most important players come back for the '18-'19 season? Every team has transfers.  I'm OK losing young guys that don't want to wait for more PT (Horne in '17, Bakari in '16, etc).  Those transfers are a part of today's environment.  But we can't keep losing guys with 30+ games of starting experience and remaining eligibility.  Teams that do this usually either are sending guys to the NBA (good thing), or are a dumpster fire (bad thing).  

4.  Can we shoot?  It sure seems like we've added the necessary pieces to be significantly better from deep.  This is probably the question I feel most confident that we'll be able to adequately answer.

5. Can we defend the three point line? Yeah...about that...

6. Will the guys we're expecting to play be able to do so?  Copeland (health & first semester eligibility), Palmer (academics), and Gill (health) are all expected to be key pieces of the rotation.  With the addition of Allen, it makes a potential blow like Gill not fully recovering or Palmer being ineligible easier to recover from.  But what if Copeland can't play until January?  Who get minutes at the 4 then? 

7. What do we do if we can't sign a backup for Jordy?  Play Copeland at the 5?  Roby?  Both seem like nightmare scenarios.

aphilso1 your questions cannot be answered until the roster is set and practices start.  As much as we can project our "expertise" or feelings, there are unknowns.  Yet there are not many college programs across the country that can accurately answer many of their own questions either.  We still could add three more players to a pretty solid core of current players.  Who are those three players, and what will be there strengths?  It remains a mystery; yet the player that we picked up yesterday will likely help...a lot.