Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huskercwg

Football

10 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Hope we win this game today.  It would be a good springboard into next fall.B)

You got your wish.

And I agree.  Good springboard into next season.  Now, let's go get the next one, boys.

So, kinda surprised by the lack of buzz over on the other board I sometimes lurk at.

I was really jazzed by the spring game.  I was figuring we might get a better idea of what the offense is supposed to look like with a passing QB.

Lee throws a really good ball.  Lotta zip and tight spiral and he gets it out quickly.  And you could see, especially on replays, that he's checking down multiple different reads while the play is in motion.  And the guy he ends up throwing to was typically pretty open.  

I really liked what I saw today even considering it's a lot of pageantry for the benefit of recruits.  Vanilla defense designed to make the offense look at least competent.  I thought they showed well.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, kinda surprised by the lack of buzz over on the other board I sometimes lurk at.

I was really jazzed by the spring game.  I was figuring we might get a better idea of what the offense is supposed to look like with a passing QB.

Lee throws a really good ball.  Lotta zip and tight spiral and he gets it out quickly.  And you could see, especially on replays, that he's checking down multiple different reads while the play is in motion.  And the guy he ends up throwing to was typically pretty open.  

I really liked what I saw today even considering it's a lot of pageantry for the benefit of recruits.  Vanilla defense designed to make the offense look at least competent.  I thought they showed well.

I agree. Lee makes throws that Tommy (who I loved watching play) couldn't even dream of throwing.

The defense was extremely basic.  If I had one negative take-away about the defense were the missed tackles.  Honestly, that has been going on for some time and needs to be fixed.  The offensive line played better than expected, that is a huge plus.  But the primary take-away, we have four QB's that can throw the ball.  There were a number of touch passes and more than a few throws that were put into extremely tight windows.  Good to see. 

All said, we look decent, but have a long way to go.  By the way, I have no life, so I watched quite a bit of the Minnesota and Michigan spring flings, and I thought we looked better than both of them. 

My big takeaway is that the passing game is going to open up the running game.  Guarantee they won't be able to stack the box and dare us to throw the ball like in year's past.  Opposing Ds will have to respect our ability to throw the ball.  And the O-line seemed to be able to run and pass block equally effectively, which was a welcome development.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:04 PM, huskercwg said:

Hope we win this game today.  It would be a good springboard into next fall.B)

NFL draft has been a big eye opener the past few years....just goes to show how down our talent level has been.  This staff is kicking ass and taking names on the recruiting trail right now...if anything else, I think we can expect them to replenish our roster with talent across the board.