Rack & Stack: Rank Miles' Rosters at NU

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this topic. Miles is into his sixth year at Nebraska and has been through five rosters at this point (the sixth is still shaping up so we'll leave 2017-2018 out of the conversation for now).

Regardless of win/loss record, how would you rank Miles' last five rosters (1 = best, 5 = worst)? "Best" might be subjective, so try to explain what you define as best (e.g. "most talented," "strongest lineup," "most balanced," "best starters," etc.) when giving your rankings.

2016-2017:

Tai Webster, Anton Gill, Jeriah Horne, Jason Shultis, Glynn Watson Jr., Jack McVeigh, Evan Taylor, Michael Jacobson, Malcolm Laws, Isaac Copeland, Isaiah Roby, Mohammad Elradi, Nick Fuller, James Palmer Jr., Ed Morrow, Jordy Tshimanga, Tanner Borchardt

2015-2016:

Tai Webster, Anton Gill, Andrew White III, Johnny Trueblood, Glynn Watson Jr., Jack McVeigh, Bakari Evelyn, Michael Jacobson, Malcolm Laws, Tanner Borchardt, Nick Fuller, Jake Hammond, Ed Morrow, Shavon Shields, Benny Parker

2014-2015:

Tai Webster, Andrew White III, David Rivers, Benny Parker, Terran Petteway, Trevor Menke, Tarin Smith, Moses Abraham, Leslee Smith, Nick Fuller, Jake Hammond, B.J. Day, Shavon Shields, Walter Pitchford, Kye Kurkowski

2013-2014:

Tai Webster, David Rivers, Benny Parker, Nathan Hawkins, Terran Petteway, Trevor Menke, Mike Peltz, Sergej Vucetic, Ray Gallegos, Leslee Smith, Nick Fuller, Shavon Shields, Tim Wagner, Walter Pitchford, Kye Kurkowski

2012-2013:

Deverell Biggs, David Rivers, Benny Parker, Max Ritchie, Terran Petteway, Trevor Menke, Jordan Tyrance, Mike Peltz, Brandon Ubel, Sergej Vucetic, Ray Gallegos, Dylan Talley, Shavon Shields, Andre Almeida, Walter Pitchford, Kye Kurkowski

Edited by HuskerFever

This was difficult, but I think I'm going to settle with this:

2016-2017: 4th

2015-2016: 1st

2014-2015: 3rd

2013-2014: 2nd

2012-2013: 5th

I'm kind of surprised, because I thought highly of the roster we had set up at the beginning of the 2016-2017 season, but I guess the absence of team leaders like Shavon Shields and Benny Parker really tipped the scales. My rationale was based on strong leaders/players who have solid guard play and defense.

5 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

This was difficult, but I think I'm going to settle with this:

2016-2017: 4th

2015-2016: 1st

2014-2015: 3rd

2013-2014: 2nd

2012-2013: 5th

I'm kind of surprised, because I thought highly of the roster we had set up at the beginning of the 2016-2017 season, but I guess the absence of team leaders like Shavon Shields and Benny Parker really tipped the scales. My rationale was based on strong leaders/players who have solid guard play and defense.

16-17 would have been #1 if Benedict Arnold III hadn't left.  That would have been a lot of firepower on that roster.

1 hour ago, TimSmiles said:

15-16 had pitchford and petteway stayed:

pg. glynn/benny

sg petteway/ tai

sf white/shields

pf pitchford/morrow

c jacobson/hammond

Starters would have been Pitchford, Shields, White, Petteway, Webster; it would have taken some extreme chemistry problems to make that lineup not work. But extreme chemistry problems are why that lineup didn't happen in the first place.

3 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

15-16 had pitchford and petteway stayed:

pg. glynn/benny

sg petteway/ tai

sf white/shields

pf pitchford/morrow

c jacobson/hammond

What's interesting in that lineup, which you're saying would have probably been Miles' best here, is that you still have Jacobson as a starter at the 5, where he didn't want to be and where he was frankly ill-suited.  And where he was a freshman at the time.  So, in 15-16, even with Pitchford and Petteway, you still have a weak spot at the 5.

Let's take a quick glimpse at 17-18 even without the guys who left:

pg  Watson as a junior; Evan Taylor as his backup.

sg. Either James Palmer or Nana Akenten, most likely.  Anton Gill, if he regains form, could challenge.  Maybe a player-to-be-named-later.

sf  Isaiah Roby/Isaac Copeland/Jack McVeigh/Nana/James/Evan

pf. Isaac Copeland/Jack McVeigh

c. Jordy Tschimanga

I think 2017-2018 is better in 3 out of 5 positions than Miles' mythical best roster in 2015-2016, which assumed Pitchford and Petteway had stayed.

The core group of wings in the mythical 15-16 season would have been pretty solid, no doubt.  But I think the wings we'll put on the floor this year will still be competent  and solid players.  

Depth at the 5 is crucial for us this year and if Miles can close on the one big kid we're apparently going after, it would have huge implications for this season, because I think we're pretty competitive everywhere else.

2012-2013 was by far the worst.

I think 13-14 was the best simply because of how good everyone worked together. I think Gallegos leaving and that is why things fell apart is a fairly overrated take but can't argue that team had talent.

Last years team had talent but was all over the place and inconsistent.

Really miss Shavon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Injuries derailed last season. Which is a chance you take every season and a risk every team goes through. But with a healthy Gill, Morrow,and Roby all off season and regular season we are an NIT team last season. Easily. Don't think we were quite NCAA worthy last year tho.

7 hours ago, khoock said:

Let's mix it up and throw out an "Miles tenure starting 5".  Who ya got?

I'm going with:

Watson

Webster 

Petteway 

Shields

Morrow

If I'm allowed to take a forward-looking risk on a player, here's how my lineup would shake up:

Terran Petteway

Tai Webster

Ed Morrow

Thomas Allen

Jordy Tshimanga

Otherwise, I would likely sub Andrew White III in for Thomas Allen. This would help provide us with some inside/outside presence on offense and draw out our opponent's defense more than we have been able to in the past. We also need the height down low, otherwise I would likely put another guard in like Benny Parker who can provide some good minutes in terms of defense and assists.

Base on the most talent on the roster

1. 2015-2016

2. 2016-2017

3. 2013-2014

4. 2014-2015

5. 2012-2013

Most talented Miles players... Shavon is not in the Top 5 sorry guys... If it was most heart he would be.

1. Terran Petteway

2. Glynn Watson

3. Andrew White III

4. Tai Webster

5. Ed Morrow

Players that have potential to make the Top 5 list above on our current roster

Thomas Allen

Isaiah Roby

Jordy Tshimanga

Isaac Copeland

Nana Akanten

^^^ These guys have potential through the roof 

I am very excited to see them play

Edited by big red22

Let's mix it up and throw out a "Miles tenure starting 5".  Who ya got?

I'm going with:
Watson (SO yr)
Webster (SR yr)
Petteway (JR yr)
Shields (SR yr)
Morrow (SO yr)

Watson
Petteway
White
Shields
Pitchford

No idea how they share the ball but whatever... so much talent let's see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, big red22 said:

Most talented Miles players... Shavon is not in the Top 5 sorry guys... If it was most heart he would be.

1. Terran Petteway

2. Glynn Watson

3. Andrew White III

4. Tai Webster

5. Ed Morrow

Whoa, wait.  You don't have Shavon in your top 5 most talented Miles players, but you have Ed Morrow there?  Boy, I can't agree with you on that one.

17 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Whoa, wait.  You don't have Shavon in your top 5 most talented Miles players, but you have Ed Morrow there?  Boy, I can't agree with you on that one.

Yeah..... My thoughts as well.  Shavon had a lot of heart yes, but you have to have some talent to do what he did.  

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Yes, I truly felt Shields lacked athletic ability and that is what held him back.  Morrow is explosive, athletic and a physical presence... I would pick Morrow over Shields in a game of pick up if I had Webster and Watson on my team.  Shields could get to the rack, but his lack of athleticism made it tough for him to score.

If I had to put in a line up Morrow misses the cut, because of his size and Jordy takes his spot

G - Watson

G - Webster

G - Petteway

G - White

F - Morrow

My gut is telling me in 2 years the line up will be

G - Allen (I just have a feeling him and Watson are going to be special)

G - Watson (Could be the best Guard since Lue)

G - Petteway (Best scorer at Nebraska since the 90's)

F - Roby (If this kid gets confidence he will be in the draft, and will have a banner hung in PBA)

C - Jordy (True Center with NBA potential)

or

G - Watson

G - Petteway

F - Roby

F - Copeland (Like Allen jury is out with him, but I have feeling we are going to be impressed)

C - Jordy

Edited by big red22

Roby could be an NBA player.  He has the length and the athleticism.

But NBA wings have NBA 3-point range.  Right now, Roby doesn't.

If he wants to be an NBA player, he needs to be able to knock it down from deep.  Reliably.  (40%+ as a college player)

Edited by Norm Peterson
for clarity of meaning

1 hour ago, big red22 said:

Yes, I truly felt Shields lacked athletic ability and that is what held him back.  Morrow is explosive, athletic and a physical presence... I would pick Morrow over Shields in a game of pick up if I had Webster and Watson on my team.  Shields could get to the rack, but his lack of athleticism made it tough for him to score.

I don't disagree that Shields wasn't overly athletic (though at times he showed flashes that surprised me), but to say you'd rather take Morrow over Shields strikes me as, well, silly.  Ed may be explosive, but the fact he's undersized gives him a disadvantage considerably larger than Shields' was in his lack of elite athleticism. 

Shields proved capable of scoring 30+ in a game.  Ed will never do such a thing, nor will he ever come close.