Impact of winning (or lack thereof)...

khoock

Would Ed and MJ have stayed had we won more games?

Let's go hypothetical and throw out the best case scenario for last season with all the same injuries occurring. Were 12-19 now add the following victories:

-We sneak out a W @ Clemson as we're able to capitalize on some of our missed opportunities.

-There's no dud against Gardner-Webb and we take care of business.

-Even with Ed down, we are able to squeeze out W's over Rutgers and Ohio State. Glynn doesn't fall down and we box out Rutgers so Sanders doesn't even get to attempt the game winner.

-We shock Wisconsin as they miss one or two of those miraculous threes they nailed.

Now we're 17-13 (9-9) with a Big Ten tourney opponent TBD. I think under this scenario MJ and Ed return next year. It's easier to sell kids on doing things they don't want to do (aka playing out of position) when you have results to back it up. In this case we would've put up a decent record with a tough schedule and an abundance of talent returning/ coming in. But instead we had the season we had and I think MJ and Ed found themselves asking is it really worth it? And we obviously found out the answer to the question.

Answer:  yes.

Also, AWIII would likely have stayed if we had won more two years ago.  And probably WP and maybe even TP stick around for another year if 2015 doesn't go down the toilet. Then 2016 looks a lot different, and maybe AWIII stays and 2017 looks a lot different.  But --- that's not what actually happened.

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Hell... If we are winning a lot of games 3-4 years ago, Jahlil Okafor probably takes his visit here and we probably land him.  If we're dreaming.  Might as well dream big.

It's ok to not be threatened by everything that isn't rah-rah coach.

Do you really think Jacobson is gone if we made the tourney this year?

1 minute ago, hhcdimes said:

It's ok to not be threatened by everything that isn't rah-rah coach.

Do you really think Jacobson is gone if we made the tourney this year?

:lol: Far from threatened.  Everything happens for a reason.  I would say there is probably a 50/50 shot that he is gone.  I would say Ed might of been more likely to stay because he would have still gotten the same minutes.  Probably not though because he wanted to play a different position.  Jacobson might of went from 2 year starter to role player off the bench.  I don't know if that sat well with him.  

However, unless you are actually him, you will never know the real reason.

I feel it would have made a huge difference. We all experienced the misery of last season's grind as fans. Imagine experiencing it as a player. It had to have been a very difficult ride, and there's a domino effect there too. More losses equal frustrated coaches in perpetually-bad moods, which equals more negativity, more criticism, more finger pointing, tougher practices, and an overall dark cloud over the program that I'm sure impacted the psyche of the players. By the end of the season, it was obvious that they checked out emotionally. Winning cures a lot of ills.

Serious question: where did the whole Ed-wants-to-be-a-wing "fact" come from?  I don't recall reading it anywhere other than on this message board.  Did someone with inside info leak it?  And if so, was the info from Ed's camp or Miles'?  Because I still have a hard time believing that things went down the way that people in the Pro Miles Camp say it did.  Morrow seemed to be a high character kid cut from the same cloth as Tai, Shavon, etc.

As for the OP - Yes, at least 2 of the 4 transfers would still be here if we had won more.  Look at our transfer history under Miles, and compare that with our record during that same span of time.  The outlier year for wins was followed by the one year where we didn't lose significant players via transfer. 

10 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Serious question: where did the whole Ed-wants-to-be-a-wing "fact" come from?  I don't recall reading it anywhere other than on this message board.  Did someone with inside info leak it?  And if so, was the info from Ed's camp or Miles'?  Because I still have a hard time believing that things went down the way that people in the Pro Miles Camp say it did.  Morrow seemed to be a high character kid cut from the same cloth as Tai, Shavon, etc.

As for the OP - Yes, at least 2 of the 4 transfers would still be here if we had won more.  Look at our transfer history under Miles, and compare that with our record during that same span of time.  The outlier year for wins was followed by the one year where we didn't lose significant players via transfer. 

From the World Herald:

Sources with knowledge of the situation said Morrow had expressed frustration with being slotted at center to share time with freshman Jordy Tshimanga. Morrow told those close to him he had hoped to play more at wing or forward in the future to develop his professional prospects instead of continuing to operate inside.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/ed-morrow-s-decision-to-transfer-leaves-husker-coach-tim/article_7449afcc-14dc-11e7-94d1-df0c482dda4a.html

Winning always matters and with the lack of it, if what Hooper says is true, that environment becomes far less palatable if the wins don't accompany it. To imply winning wasn't a factor, I think its probably a little naive. Nick was the only one who I think would have left regardless. The other three, I think if the season had gone better, the conversation whether they would have left or not is a valid one.

Edited by uneblinstu

38 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Winning always matters and with the lack of it, if what Hooper says is true, that environment becomes far less palatable if the wins don't accompany it. To imply winning wasn't a factor, I think its probably a little naive. Nick was the only one who I think would have left regardless. The other three, I think if the season had gone better, the conversation whether they would have left or not is a valid one.

It was clear Horne was not happy mid-season.  Think I made reference then, then again I can't remember what I had for lunch so I might have just thought about it. Oh look something shiny!

1 hour ago, colhusker said:

It was clear Horne was not happy mid-season.  Think I made reference then, then again I can't remember what I had for lunch so I might have just thought about it. Oh look something shiny!

My son said with :38 left in like the third game of the year and Horne was just checking in that he would be leavinf by the end of the year.  Becasue you could see right then he wasn't happy about not seeing the floor earlier.

3 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

My son said with :38 left in like the third game of the year and Horne was just checking in that he would be leavinf by the end of the year.  Becasue you could see right then he wasn't happy about not seeing the floor earlier.

It was about the third time after one trip up and down floor that he missed an assignment and got yanked and yelled at I knew he was done.  Had to be hard to watch others mess up and stay on floor.

16 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Thanks.  That's certainly a better source than idle speculation.  Still a chance that things got lost in translation, but at least fans aren't blasting the kid based exclusively on message board fodder.  He still strikes me as a team-first high character kid though, so odds are I will never be one of the ones throwing shade at him.

14 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Thanks.  That's certainly a better source than idle speculation.  Still a chance that things got lost in translation, but at least fans aren't blasting the kid based exclusively on message board fodder.  He still strikes me as a team-first high character kid though, so odds are I will never be one of the ones throwing shade at him.

There's also been plenty of talk about him leaving because he's forced to play center because we couldn't land anyone else to play that role. It probably makes more sense for him to find a faster paced team where they can run slower big men off the court or else find a team with a 3pt shooting center that he can compliment.  I can empathize with Ed with the exception that I don't afford myself the luxury to transfer my loyalties to a new team.

4 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Except for the fact that he just left his team?

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

So it's safe to assume Gil, Copeland, Palmer and Taylor are not gonna be team guys? 

I don't know anything about them or their situation. Sometimes the best thing for everyone is to move on. And sometimes you can't worry about what's best for everyone and just need to do what's best for you. That's the truth in sports and life. I don't have any special insight into why these transfers took place at Nebraska. It just seemed odd to me to call someone who just left his team as a team first player.

23 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I don't know anything about them or their situation. Sometimes the best thing for everyone is to move on. And sometimes you can't worry about what's best for everyone and just need to do what's best for you. That's the truth in sports and life. I don't have any special insight into why these transfers took place at Nebraska. It just seemed odd to me to call someone who just left his team as a team first player.

Do we really know for sure that it was MJ's idea to leave the program?  For all I know, it's possible he wasn't given a choice...not sayin', but I'm just sayin'...

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Do we really know for sure that it was MJ's idea to leave the program?  For all I know, it's possible he wasn't given a choice...not sayin', but I'm just sayin'...

Absolutely MJ's choice. If he changed his mind I think we'd take him back in a heartbeat.