hskr4life

Jacobson Gone?

314 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

FYI - you show Jeriah Horne transferring back for a senior season in 2019-20.  And I don't think there's any possible way of that happening!

 

@hhcdimes Are we able to copy and paste a few players? It seems Miles got a little delete happy lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to bring this up but what I heard is that Jacobson and maybe Horne arent leaving here for basketball related reasons..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Sorry to bring this up but what I heard is that Jacobson and maybe Horne arent leaving here for basketball related reasons..

 

Don't leave us hanging man, dish!!!!

Edited by Silverbacked1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Sorry to bring this up but what I heard is that Jacobson and maybe Horne arent leaving here for basketball related reasons..

Do tell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldnt say anything if i didnt think there was some truth to it, but ive heard from more than a couple people that Jacobson and Horne were involved in a large fight or even a brawl situation and they were both pretty shaken up and they did not want to be here anymore.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, noahjb24 said:

I wouldnt say anything if i didnt think there was some truth to it, but ive heard from more than a couple people that Jacobson and Horne were involved in a large fight or even a brawl situation and they were both pretty shaken up and they did not want to be here anymore.. 

 

wait I didn't know they were at Peru State.   And that is interesting if true.  Also might make more of a reason with MJ to leave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

I wouldnt say anything if i didnt think there was some truth to it, but ive heard from more than a couple people that Jacobson and Horne were involved in a large fight or even a brawl situation and they were both pretty shaken up and they did not want to be here anymore.. 

Needless to say (but I am), interesting and relevant stuff if true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

I wouldnt say anything if i didnt think there was some truth to it, but ive heard from more than a couple people that Jacobson and Horne were involved in a large fight or even a brawl situation and they were both pretty shaken up and they did not want to be here anymore.. 

That doesn't sound like a reason for BOTH to leave... unless very poorly handled by staff and teammates, I suppose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

I wouldnt say anything if i didnt think there was some truth to it, but ive heard from more than a couple people that Jacobson and Horne were involved in a large fight or even a brawl situation and they were both pretty shaken up and they did not want to be here anymore.. 

 

Approximately when?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

That doesn't sound like a reason for BOTH to leave... unless very poorly handled by staff and teammates, I suppose. 

True, but it really would fit into the karma that seems to hang over our program over the years.  I'm waiting for a toenail fungus epidemic to decimate our roster.  Pretty much everything else has happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

True, but it really would fit into the karma that seems to hang over our program over the years.  I'm waiting for a toenail fungus epidemic to decimate our roster.  Pretty much everything else has happened.

 

Well, we're going to nip that in the bud, then.  Start having the players soak their feat in a solution of apple cider vinegar and black tea every day and keep the toenail fungus away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

Sorry to bring this up but what I heard is that Jacobson and maybe Horne arent leaving here for basketball related reasons..

 

Decisions are rarely made in such simplistic terms. Life is more complex than that. When players leave, it's usually due to combination of different factors. I'm not saying all of those factors have equal weight in the decision, but when players leave, it's rarely for just one reason. 

 

Role concerns were surely a factor for both players. However, dislike for the head coach also played a role. The problem is that, in the absence of a strong bond with the head coach and true buy in, the other factors are more likely to cause a player to pull the trigger on transferring when a stronger bond might have resulted in retaining the player despite his concerns about his role.

 

 

Edited by Hooper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Timforthewin said:

From what I've heard, this has no impact at all because it occurred recently. 

Thanks   Was this amongst the team...  a couple players involved or what

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hooper said:

 

Decisions are rarely made in such simplistic terms. Life is more complex than that. When players leave, it's usually due to combination of different factors. I'm not saying all of those factors have equal weight in the decision, but when players leave, it's rarely for just one reason. 

 

Role concerns were surely a factor for both players. However, dislike for the head coach also played a role. The problem is that, in the absence of a strong bond with the head coach and true buy in, the other factors are more likely to cause a player to pull the trigger on transferring when a stronger bond might have resulted in retaining the player despite his concerns about his role.

 

 

 

I think more specifically the bond that has to be developed is *trust*: the player has to trust that the coach is looking out for their interests and development, too. Coaches that become too instrumental--and I don't know if this describes Miles or not--will have difficulty in obtaining the kind of loyalty you're referring to.

 

Hopefully the seismic events are over with for now and there's no more losses. But I think many of us are going to have to start adjusting our expectations as fans that this is slowly becoming the new normal: that higher end college sports are going to be more mercenary in nature for the foreseeable future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tcp said:

 

I think more specifically the bond that has to be developed is *trust*: the player has to trust that the coach is looking out for their interests and development, too. Coaches that become too instrumental--and I don't know if this describes Miles or not--will have difficulty in obtaining the kind of loyalty you're referring to.

 

Hopefully the seismic events are over with for now and there's no more losses. But I think many of us are going to have to start adjusting our expectations as fans that this is slowly becoming the new normal: that higher end college sports are going to be more mercenary in nature for the foreseeable future.

 

Of the 14 players recruited by Miles since he arrived, nine have transferred. That's more transfers than the football team has had! Yes, a program with 13 scholarship slots (and Miles rarely even filled them all) has had more transfers than a team with 85 scholarship slots. That's profoundly disturbing to me.

 

Get a coach who inspires his players and is a true leader of men and watch the transfers drop dramatically. I know I'm virtually alone in the wilderness on that view here, as almost everyone else here seems to be convinced that all of these transfers are mostly attributable to millennial culture or the mercenary nature of college basketball, but as long as we have a coach that players don't like playing for, who can't inspire young men to believe in something bigger than themselves, they will continue to happen at an alarming rate. 

 

I joked with another board member recently that, for most of the posters here to sour on Miles, they'd literally need to come home and find him in bed with their wives, and, even then, some would give him a mulligan if he washed the sheets before he left. I'm not putting you in that category, but that seems to be the prevailing mindset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Get a coach who inspires his players and is a true leader of men and watch the transfers drop dramatically. I know I'm virtually alone in the wilderness on that view here, as almost everyone else here seems to be convinced that all of these transfers are mostly attributable to millennial culture or the mercenary nature of college basketball, but as long as we have a coach that players don't like playing for, who can't inspire young men to believe in something bigger than themselves, they will continue to happen at an alarming rate.

No you're not. That thought might be more prevalent here than in other places, but you're far from alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Hooper said:

 

Of the 14 players recruited by Miles since he arrived, nine have transferred. That's more transfers than the football team has had! Yes, a program with 13 scholarship slots (and Miles rarely even filled them all) has had more transfers than a team with 85 scholarship slots. That's profoundly disturbing to me.

 

Get a coach who inspires his players and is a true leader of men and watch the transfers drop dramatically. I know I'm virtually alone in the wilderness on that view here, as almost everyone else here seems to be convinced that all of these transfers are mostly attributable to millennial culture or the mercenary nature of college basketball, but as long as we have a coach that players don't like playing for, who can't inspire young men to believe in something bigger than themselves, they will continue to happen at an alarming rate. 

 

I joked with another board member recently that, for most of the posters here to sour on Miles, they'd literally need to come home and find him in bed with their wives, and, even then, some would give him a mulligan if he washed the sheets before he left. I'm not putting you in that category, but that seems to be the prevailing mindset.

This question has to be asked, do you have supporting information that confirms that the players didn't like playing for Coach Miles?  I am not being argumentative.  My issue is that there are a number of rumors and/or innuendo being tossed about.  I am simply attempting to sort out facts from fiction.  One of the confusing parts of MJ's departure is approximately 30 days before leaving, he was interviewed and was extremely supportive of Coach Miles.  He had somewhat similar comments about Miles after Andrew White left. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

This question has to be asked, do you have supporting information that confirms that the players didn't like playing for Coach Miles?  I am not being argumentative.  My issue is that there are a number of rumors and/or innuendo being tossed about.  I am simply attempting to sort out facts from fiction.  One of the confusing parts of MJ's departure is approximately 30 days before leaving, he was interviewed and was extremely supportive of Coach Miles.  He had somewhat similar comments about Miles after Andrew White left. 

 

Yes, I do. I wouldn't throw that out here based on speculation. It comes from solid sources who speak to players. I routinely heard that the players don't like playing for Miles and to expect multiple transfers if he were retained. Based on how the second part of that played out, it gives me every reason to believe the first part, and it came from more than one source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hooper said:

 

Yes, I do. I wouldn't throw that out here based on speculation. It comes from solid sources who speak to players. I routinely heard that the players don't like playing for Miles and to expect multiple transfers if he were retained. Based on how the second part of that played out, it gives me every reason to believe the first part, and it came from more than one source.

 

What are their reasons for not wanting to play for Miles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

 

What are their reasons for not wanting to play for Miles?

 

In a nutshell, he's an asshole. The happy-go-lucky jokester persona he shows to the public is a bunch of BS. In private, he's very negative with the players, rides them very hard, is very critical without a lot of complementary positive encouragement and just wears guys down emotionally over time. Tough love is a great coaching style in my opinion, but tough without the love part burns players out and eventually causes them to check out mentally and disengage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hooper said:

 

In a nutshell, he's an asshole. The happy-go-lucky jokester persona he shows to the public is a bunch of BS. In private, he's very negative with the players, rides them very hard, is very critical without a lot of complementary positive encouragement and just wears guys down emotionally over time. Tough love is a great coaching style in my opinion, but tough without the love part burns players out and eventually causes them to check out mentally and disengage.

 

Considering MJ and Morrow are leaving for teams that more than likely can't promise them as much playing time as they were getting here, this makes a lot of sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Hooper said:

 

In a nutshell, he's an asshole. The happy-go-lucky jokester persona he shows to the public is a bunch of BS. In private, he's very negative with the players, rides them very hard, is very critical without a lot of complementary positive encouragement and just wears guys down emotionally over time. Tough love is a great coaching style in my opinion, but tough without the love part burns players out and eventually causes them to check out mentally and disengage.

 

If true, this has to change.  I think you hit the nail on the head that tough love is good, but tough without the love is rough.  Especially in today's day and age, you have to do a certain amount of coddling to go with critiquing.  That is just how it is these days with kids.  I can see it from Miles point of view that his back is probably against the wall and he needs to toughen up on the guys.  That is understandable, but if it isn't working and what you are saying is true, this has to change.  I do it all the time with young employees.  I'm not for players running the program how they want it, however, there comes a point where you have to get creative.  Plant an idea in their head, but find a way to make it seem as though they are the ones who came up with the idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

 

If true, this has to change.  I think you hit the nail on the head that tough love is good, but tough without the love is rough.  Especially in today's day and age, you have to do a certain amount of coddling to go with critiquing.  That is just how it is these days with kids.  I can see it from Miles point of view that his back is probably against the wall and he needs to toughen up on the guys.  That is understandable, but if it isn't working and what you are saying is true, this has to change.  I do it all the time with young employees.  I'm not for players running the program how they want it, however, there comes a point where you have to get creative.  Plant an idea in their head, but find a way to make it seem as though they are the ones who came up with the idea.

 

To me, it's really not about coddling, but rather about balance. Balance is a key element in any successful human relationship, whether it's at the parent-child level, coach-player, manager-employee, etc. If you're going to criticize the negative, you should likewise praise and reinforce the positive. That's the essential balance that governs most successful human relationships, and without that balance, most relationships will deteriorate. At least that's my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hooper said:

 

To me, it's really not about coddling, but rather about balance. Balance is a key element in any successful human relationship, whether it's at the parent-child level, coach-player, manager-employee, etc. If you're going to criticize the negative, you should likewise praise and reinforce the positive. That's the essential balance that governs most successful human relationships, and without that balance, most relationships will deteriorate. At least that's my opinion.

The best coaches I've ever had were the ones who would tear you up when you needed/deserved it and would be the first to praise you when you do something right. As you said Hooper, it has to be a balance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.