Jump to content

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

 

Yeah, because the B1G is known for it's stretch 4's way more than it's tradional PF's.  No reputation at all as a bruiser league.  Oh wait...

 

Seriously?  If we're defining B1G stretch 4s as 3pt threats who stretch the defense?  Here are your top 5 teams' forwards 3pt shooting percentages.  All of these guys logged significant minutes:

 

Purdue = 45% 3pt shooter (Swanigan)

Wisconsin = 31% (Hayes), 31% (Brown), 33% (Thomas)

Maryland = 44% (Jackson)

Minnesota = 34% (Coffey)

Michigan = 50% (Donnal), 42% (Robinson), 40% (Wagner), 37% (Wilson)

 

----

 

That's just the top 5, but pretending this is the B1G from 1988 is silly.  We need a stretch 4 to open up driving lanes and isolate the post.  We also need one who can guard and switch on the perimeter.  The only team that looks like a "traditional" B1G is Minnesota.  Most of the other teams' best 3pt shooters are forwards.  

 

 

Edited by LK1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, khoock said:

Whose gonna want to come here though? As far as we know, Miles is on a one year deal coming off a losing season whose transfers have amassed so much that we have now lost over half of our scoring and rebounding from a team that, once again, had a losing record.

 

That's a tough act for anybody to sell, no matter who you are.

 

No doubt about that.  Losing makes recruiting a hell of a lot harder.  

 

I look at more as "...coming off a losing season" would be an indicator that our talent needs to be upgraded.  That's pretty easy to do with Jacobson's departure and, in the right system, Ed's departure, but I say that hesitantly because I loved Ed and I believe his usage was a shitshow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of this may mean much if we can land some real solid recruits to replace our losses.  Granted, that's a big IF at this time of year.  I had hopes that MJ would find his shot next year, because otherwise he didn't bring us much.  Solid role player, but it's only good to have a role player like that if he's surrounded by a lot better talent.  We need shooters, and we need depth up front.  If SE sticks with Miles, I really hope he can get it done.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hal9000 said:

None of this may mean much if we can land some real solid recruits to replace our losses.  Granted, that's a big IF at this time of year.  I had hopes that MJ would find his shot next year, because otherwise he didn't bring us much.  Solid role player, but it's only good to have a role player like that if he's surrounded by a lot better talent.  We need shooters, and we need depth up front.  If SE sticks with Miles, I really hope he can get it done.  

Solid recruits at this point as few and far between and will be gobbled up by others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MJ would have been a solid role player.  Sucks to see him go.

 

Ed is the bigger loss.  But it is only a loss if he would have done what we needed him to do.  If he wanted to be something we do not need, then that is a different story.

 

Horne is the same story as MJ.

 

Fuller was to be expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

 

Jacobson I think grew up in a pro-Nebraska family. He was a team leader. Morrow grew up in Lincoln.

In some regards people are right that maybe these guys weren't going to start and that basically we need to fill depth here.

On the other hand we're talking about losing two guys that were the backbone of the entire team. We're losing two guys that most fit the bill of players that would stick with Nebraska through thick and thin.

 

I don't think we can lump these two losses at all.  Morrow is a true loss.  He was a game changer when healthy and a true enforcer.  Jacobson was a body that we all wanted to be better than he was, but he's easily replaceable.  Having said this, neither of them are good perimeter defenders, and both of them were offensive liabilities because Miles' offense relies on open driving lanes and neither player could stretch the court.  Morrow is a very good finisher and such a general disrupter on both ends of the court that he made up for it, but Jacobson simply missed jumpers all over the place.  

 

23 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

 

The problem with these transfers is that they reveal the ugly truth that Miles is good at building a program from the ruins but not necessarily good at building a culture that will get guys to believe in things above themselves. There's always the possibility that this allows us to bring in complementary pieces to the guys we have now....something that might actually allow us to put a team that fits together as opposed to a collection of talent. It's also possible it will be another basement year or even Miles getting axed/outta Dodge before that.  Regardless, once again there is a hard limit to the Miles era without him winning next year so it's not like we are doomed to repeat this same thing again next year (knock on wood) 

 

The jury is definitely out.  No question about that.  But I think it actually is out.  I don't look at the current returning players and pieces and panic.  I'm still pretty optimistic about it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, colhusker said:

At this point we will really have to hope, given our luck look for 3 warm bodies and an open scholarship.

We have to hope we get lucky. With just 9 scholarship players, and 2 coming off surgery, the picture isn't bright. But hoping against hope is what we do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chuck Taylor said:

We have to hope we get lucky. With just 9 scholarship players, and 2 coming off surgery, the picture isn't bright. But hoping against hope is what we do.

 

Sounds like the opening scene to one of those inspirational sports movies...I'm hoping for a slow clap at some point...maybe a good montage or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

MJ would have been a solid role player.  Sucks to see him go.

 

Ed is the bigger loss.  But it is only a loss if he would have done what we needed him to do.  If he wanted to be something we do not need, then that is a different story.

 

Horne is the same story as MJ.

 

Fuller was to be expected.

 

Think Fuller is going "Damn" right now.B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea what is going on in Lincoln.   It is discouraging that these players are leaving and I doubt, at this late stage, they can be replaced with better warm bodies.  I can only take a wait and see position until next season begins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, LK1 said:

 

Seriously?  If we're defining B1G stretch 4s as 3pt threats who stretch the defense?  Here are your top 5 teams' forwards 3pt shooting percentages.  All of these guys logged significant minutes:

 

Purdue = 45% 3pt shooter (Swanigan)

Wisconsin = 31% (Hayes), 31% (Brown), 33% (Thomas)

Maryland = 44% (Jackson)

Minnesota = 34% (Coffey)

Michigan = 50% (Donnal), 42% (Robinson), 40% (Wagner), 37% (Wilson)

 

----

 

That's just the top 5, but pretending this is the B1G from 1988 is silly.  We need a stretch 4 to open up driving lanes and isolate the post.  We also need one who can guard and switch on the perimeter.  The only team that looks like a "traditional" B1G is Minnesota.  Most of the other teams' best 3pt shooters are forwards.  

 

 

 

Swanigan was a beast that absolutely dominated teams inside.  The vast majority of his points came in the paint and at the free throw line (which was a direct result of bruising inside rather than jacking up shots from the perimeter).  The fact that he also made a single three pointer per game doesn't negate the fact that he is a dominant traditional PF.

 

Those are not good 3pt percentages for Wisconsin.  Also, tell me with a straight face that Nigel Hayes scares you more shooting from the outside than he does when catching the ball in the low post.  You can't.

 

Minnesota looks pretty traditional to me, but I'll admit I only watched them when they were playing Nebraska.

 

I agree with you on Justin Jackson and Maryland.  That's one team that legitimately uses their 4 as a perimeter-oriented player.  And Michigan uses all five players more on the perimeter, especially since Wagner logs more minutes at the 5 than the 4.  So there's two teams.

 

You stopped listing teams at an awfully convenient time though, since the other three B1G teams with winning conference records (Northwestern, Iowa, and MSU) all roll out a starting lineup with two post players.  So out of the 8 teams with a winning record, 6 of them play a traditional PF.  That's 75%.  And one of the only two teams that truly relied on a stretch 4 was in the ACC when most of its roster was recruited.  So yeah, I'd "seriously" say that the B1G remains a bruising league.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×