Jacobson Gone?

hskr4life

4 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Sorry...compelled to point out this metaphor was used on Good Friday

I had a farmer tell me the other night, the best way to keep rabbits, raccoons and deer out of your garden is to put a couple speakers out there and play Pink Floyd music.  I don't know, just might work.

Speaking of Good Friday, I might have posted this years ago, I don't remember.  For all new here, I think this is really cool!  Everyone have a blessed weekend!

2 hours ago, cipsucks said:

I had a farmer tell me the other night, the best way to keep rabbits, raccoons and deer out of your garden is to put a couple speakers out there and play Pink Floyd music.  I don't know, just might work.

Speaking of Good Friday, I might have posted this years ago, I don't remember.  For all new here, I think this is really cool!  Everyone have a blessed weekend!

Thanks for sharing, cip. Have a great Good Friday.

It really irks me that people are kind of writing off these two losses (Jacobsen and Morrow). Yes I don't think they were as great as we thought when they were recruited, but still this is HALF of the 4 players that are consistently brought up as a reason for optimism the past two years. When we were losing games after going 3-0 to start conference season Ed was held up as a difference maker and the difference ... and yes, we were much better when he was back. Then you have Jacobsen ... he started 50-some games in two years and still decides to leave. This doesn't happen a lot in many places - playing THAT much and also choosing to leave. Is Michael a difference maker in the B1G? Not really from what I've seen, but again he was a member of the 4 players from that class that are consistently held up over the past few years as reasons for optimism. Miles can't hold on to players and/or apparently can't evaluate players that well either.

9 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

It really irks me that people are kind of writing off these two losses (Jacobsen and Morrow). Yes I don't think they were as great as we thought when they were recruited, but still this is HALF of the 4 players that are consistently brought up as a reason for optimism the past two years. When we were losing games after going 3-0 to start conference season Ed was held up as a difference maker and the difference ... and yes, we were much better when he was back. Then you have Jacobsen ... he started 50-some games in two years and still decides to leave. This doesn't happen a lot in many places - playing THAT much and also choosing to leave. Is Michael a difference maker in the B1G? Not really from what I've seen, but again he was a member of the 4 players from that class that are consistently held up over the past few years as reasons for optimism. Miles can't hold on to players and/or apparently can't evaluate players that well either.

Well if you look at The 5 stages of grief and loss are: 1. Denial and isolation; 2. Anger; 3. Bargaining; 4. Depression; 5. Acceptance.  Most of us are in the bargaining stage.  And I think that is what you are seeing.

Just my $.02 worth.

4 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

My opinion on Jacobsen and Morrow...is that they will be darn good for the teams where they transfer...If Nebraska was to get two transfers of that quality with 2 years to play, we would be damn near Giddy.

Absolutely agree on Ed.  Jacobson, no.  He is a guy who is, IMO, a quality player at a Low Major or D-2 institution.  Not even close to the realm of guys you can have playing major minutes on a legit Big Ten team let alone starting.  If he would have been the first of the group to transfer I would have gotten a hearty laugh out of it, and would have been indifferent.  At this point it's just frustrating because he can breathe, walk, and is 6-8.

On 4/13/2017 at 0:06 PM, Hooper said:

Of the 14 players recruited by Miles since he arrived, nine have transferred. That's more transfers than the football team has had! Yes, a program with 13 scholarship slots (and Miles rarely even filled them all) has had more transfers than a team with 85 scholarship slots. That's profoundly disturbing to me.

Get a coach who inspires his players and is a true leader of men and watch the transfers drop dramatically. I know I'm virtually alone in the wilderness on that view here, as almost everyone else here seems to be convinced that all of these transfers are mostly attributable to millennial culture or the mercenary nature of college basketball, but as long as we have a coach that players don't like playing for, who can't inspire young men to believe in something bigger than themselves, they will continue to happen at an alarming rate. 

I joked with another board member recently that, for most of the posters here to sour on Miles, they'd literally need to come home and find him in bed with their wives, and, even then, some would give him a mulligan if he washed the sheets before he left. I'm not putting you in that category, but that seems to be the prevailing mindset.

It's fine if you did put me in that category. I'm really forgiving when an intruder does the laundry after banging the wife I don't actually have.

I'm unwilling to say players like or don't like someone on this basis, simply because there's more than one reason for a player to leave a place.

And we need to be clear about Mile's project from the beginning: he's been constantly "trading up" in talent most seasons (it might not have worked out, but that's been his intent). So a player he recruits one season might get supplanted by another he recruits the next. Players aren't the only ones that can be, well, mercenary.

But then again, we've lost key players who had playing time sewn up, so that excuse doesn't hold up as well as many would like it.

It's win or bust for Timmeh! next year anyway, so this is all academic to me. It's going to be a tough year because for what seems like the third straight year, Miles is going to be putting a pretty new team on the floor again. And you can only dodge that bullet so much.

1 hour ago, HF_ said:

Absolutely agree on Ed.  Jacobson, no.  He is a guy who is, IMO, a quality player at a Low Major or D-2 institution.  Not even close to the realm of guys you can have playing major minutes on a legit Big Ten team let alone starting.  If he would have been the first of the group to transfer I would have gotten a hearty laugh out of it, and would have been indifferent.  At this point it's just frustrating because he can breathe, walk, and is 6-8.

Low D1 or D2 is just laughable. MJ is a P5 Role player hands down. He can and should play with the big boys. Is he a star? Not by any means. But don't insult the kid by labeling him as D2 player type of talent.

6 hours ago, khoock said:

Low D1 or D2 is just laughable. MJ is a P5 Role player hands down. He can and should play with the big boys. Is he a star? Not by any means. But don't insult the kid by labeling him as D2 player type of talent.

I agree, in my opinion, Jacobsen might have been the bigger loss...for a couple of reasons, yes he was a role player that did the dirty work, he boxed out...which often led to rebounds for others.....and he seemed to be a leader on the team (now this is seen from afar and could be me misreading the situation).

Morrow was a beast and has much more talent than Jacobsen, but I think filling Morrow's role will be easier to replace than Jacobsen's role.

If he can get his feet right, Morrow is a guy who legitimately has the potential to be at an elite program, high level starter, consistent double double guy, with the occasional 20 and 10 type of game.  This guy looked like an All Big Ten caliber guy for much of November and December.  I have very little doubt that he is going to blow up at his next school and we are going really really regret that he got away.

In Jacobson I see a guy that showed barely any improvement from freshman to sophomore, other than putting on some mass.  In fact he regressed offensively.  

Yes he plays hard.  As he should.  I don't hold him on some Tyler Hansboro level of hustle, because he's just not that type of guy.  Nothing unusual in terms of effort.  Absolutely not a tone setter type, dogfight, "oh shit we are in for a battle tonight" type guy like Benny Parker or even Morrow.  And that's what you need to be if you are limited in so many areas like he is.

Unathletic.  Plays much smaller than his frame, specifically on offense.  Mediocre to awful at scoring from every spot on a basketball court.  Don't care how pretty his shot looks - it doesn't go in.  

We talk about expectations.  If THIS is the guy that is starting for us and THIS is the guy that people get the most worked up about leaving, I don't know what else to say.  Your expectations are much lower than mine.  

2 hours ago, HF_ said:

If he can get his feet right, Morrow is a guy who legitimately has the potential to be at an elite program, high level starter, consistent double double guy, with the occasional 20 and 10 type of game.  This guy looked like an All Big Ten caliber guy for much of November and December.  I have very little doubt that he is going to blow up at his next school and we are going really really regret that he got away.

In Jacobson I see a guy that showed barely any improvement from freshman to sophomore, other than putting on some mass.  In fact he regressed offensively.  

Yes he plays hard.  As he should.  I don't hold him on some Tyler Hansboro level of hustle, because he's just not that type of guy.  Nothing unusual in terms of effort.  Absolutely not a tone setter type, dogfight, "oh shit we are in for a battle tonight" type guy like Benny Parker or even Morrow.  And that's what you need to be if you are limited in so many areas like he is.

Unathletic.  Plays much smaller than his frame, specifically on offense.  Mediocre to awful at scoring from every spot on a basketball court.  Don't care how pretty his shot looks - it doesn't go in.  

We talk about expectations.  If THIS is the guy that is starting for us and THIS is the guy that people get the most worked up about leaving, I don't know what else to say.  Your expectations are much lower than mine.  

I wish Morrow were returning because I think we're a better team with him, but from what I saw over two years, can't agree he was an elite level program, high level starter. Objectively, he just has too many holes in his game. Once the ball went into the post, it was NEVER coming back out. He struggled to score against taller 4's and 5's, and his ball handling skills were simply poor. Not a mid-range level jump shooter either. He was a very good role player - gave us a rim protector, a tenacious rebounder, and a badass on the floor. 

That said, he may thrive at another school if the personnel around him so allows. Fact remains is that he's an undersized 4 who needs the correct mix of players around him for him to thrive and cover for his weaknesses. Jacobsen was a bit more versatile player, yet he failed to consistently produce. For some reason, from an offensive standpoint, it appeared to me that instead of reacting to the game situation in front of him, he overthought things and he played way slower than his abilities. He was at his best when he was at the 4 and did the dirty work on the offensive glass. 

As with Morrow, I wish Jacobsen was still here, as he provided depth and intangibles. I have resolved that being a life-long Nebrasketball fan will be a painful, heart-wrenching journey. On a positive note, have a great Easter!

Edited by Coaches kid

Each team, each year is different.  Last year I looked at our roster and thought our future looked bright; yet we finished with a 12-19 record.  We lost five players off of that team, one graduate and four transfers.  We already have three replacements - Copeland, Palmer and Nana.  We have open schollies and may get one or two more bigs, another PG and possible a sniper. 

As much as I am confused and upset by the departures, I am pretty sure we have a chance to be better, in fact we may be much better.

16 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Doesn't look like ISU is looking at MJ (unless he walks on) but it does look like Drake is looking at him...oh my!

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/basketball/2017/04/19/hoops-recruiting-notebook-updates-drake-iowa-state-and-some-new-rankings/305616001/

Don't be knocking Drake - outside of a 1-10 start last year and an 0-10 finish, they were a respectable 6-4.

• 2 weeks later...