Jacobson Gone?

hskr4life

Just now, Hooper said:

To me, it's really not about coddling, but rather about balance. Balance is a key element in any successful human relationship, whether it's at the parent-child level, coach-player, manager-employee, etc. If you're going to criticize the negative, you should likewise praise and reinforce the positive. That's the essential balance that governs most successful human relationships, and without that balance, most relationships will deteriorate. At least that's my opinion.

I agree 100 percent!  However, I also know that it is getting tougher and tougher to get kids to see compliments and the positives.  I don't know how many players/employees that I have had that get upset you critique something, but brush off the positives as well.  I think we are both on the same track though that something needs to change in order for the positives to get seen.

7 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

The best coaches I've ever had were the ones who would tear you up when you needed/deserved it and would be the first to praise you when you do something right. As you said Hooper, it has to be a balance 

Reminds me of Charlie McBride. He'd raise hell on the field, then hug the players' necks on the way off of it.

Just now, AuroranHusker said:

Reminds me of Charlie McBride. He'd raise hell on the field, then hug the players' necks on the way off of it.

Yes, McBride was a master of tough love. He loved those guys like his children (and they knew it), so they accepted all of the ass chewings, knowing he always had their best interests at heart and had their backs. It's a delicate balance to master, but it's a critical component of being a great coach who inspires and motivates his players in a way that's meaningful and sustainable. That's why, decades later, many of those guys still consider him to be like a second father and speak to him regularly on the telephone. That's the type of bond successful coaches create, and it's lacking in our basketball program right now.

16 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Yes, McBride was a master of tough love. He loved those guys like his children (and they knew it), so they accepted all of the ass chewings, knowing he always had their best interests at heart and had their backs. It's a delicate balance to master, but it's a critical component of being a great coach who inspires and motivates his players in a way that's meaningful and sustainable. That's why, decades later, many of those guys still consider him to be like a second father and speak to him regularly on the telephone. That's the type of bond successful coaches create, and it's lacking in our basketball program right now.

You'd think of all people, Miles (education degree) would have a pretty solid idea of how to teach without being a dick, and praise without creating complacency 

2 hours ago, Hooper said:

Yes, I do. I wouldn't throw that out here based on speculation. It comes from solid sources who speak to players. I routinely heard that the players don't like playing for Miles and to expect multiple transfers if he were retained. Based on how the second part of that played out, it gives me every reason to believe the first part, and it came from more than one source.

Thank you.  Much appreciated.

12 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

I know it sort of defeats the purpose of a message board, and I'm not trying to call anyone out on anything -- so I hope no one posting takes this personally, because I don't mean it personally. I don't doubt that there are people posting here who do learn things that others may not be publicly privy to, and I don't doubt anyone would post something they knew to be untrue, just for the sake of posting it (as in, I assume they're posting something they heard from someone else, but in good faith that it's accurate). We're all here, presumably, because we love Nebraska Basketball.

But the rumor mill has been churning on overdrive around here the last couple weeks. So before we get too sold on any one narrative, whether that's one of Miles being an insufferable d-bag that players hate, or that Jacobson just wanted to shoot 3s, or that we're trading coaches with New Mexico, or any other stories yet to arise...I'm throwing out the suggestion that we take a second to realize that what we hear from the university probably won't match what we hear from "sources", and what "sources" have to say may or may not actually have any basis in reality (or may be hyperbole that has some roots in a fact somewhere, but just gets overblown as it passes from person to person). In other words, I'm just presenting the virtual salt shaker, and invite everyone to take a grain or handful.

A good reminder. I often imagine how quickly message boards would go out of fashion if everyone involved in sports would be honest and transparent. Or is that impossible because the truth is always a matter of perspective?

18 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

A good reminder. I often imagine how quickly message boards would go out of fashion if everyone involved in sports would be honest and transparent. Or is that impossible because the truth is always a matter of perspective?

There's just one whole truth. The truth is the truth. As to what it is, we can't always discern, in part because of differing perspectives. But the truth just...is. 

56 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

I'm just presenting the virtual salt shaker, and invite everyone to take a grain or handful.

We could use more of your level-headed posts around here.

I tend to refrain from commenting during these hysterical times myself, or at least I try.  You might be surprised at how many times in the past few weeks I've started typing something in the comment box just to say "nope" and then delete it.

1 hour ago, ladyhusker said:

But the rumor mill has been churning on overdrive around here the last couple weeks. So before we get too sold on any one narrative, whether that's one of Miles being an insufferable d-bag that players hate

Or the one that Shawn Eickhorst is the nozzle.   Just saying.  ;)

2 hours ago, ladyhusker said:

I know it sort of defeats the purpose of a message board, and I'm not trying to call anyone out on anything -- so I hope no one posting takes this personally, because I don't mean it personally. I don't doubt that there are people posting here who do learn things that others may not be publicly privy to, and I don't doubt anyone would post something they knew to be untrue, just for the sake of posting it (as in, I assume they're posting something they heard from someone else, but in good faith that it's accurate). We're all here, presumably, because we love Nebraska Basketball.

But the rumor mill has been churning on overdrive around here the last couple weeks. So before we get too sold on any one narrative, whether that's one of Miles being an insufferable d-bag that players hate, or that Jacobson just wanted to shoot 3s, or that we're trading coaches with New Mexico, or any other stories yet to arise...I'm throwing out the suggestion that we take a second to realize that what we hear from the university probably won't match what we hear from "sources", and what "sources" have to say may or may not actually have any basis in reality (or may be hyperbole that has some roots in a fact somewhere, but just gets overblown as it passes from person to person). In other words, I'm just presenting the virtual salt shaker, and invite everyone to take a grain or handful.

Finally, someone who really get it about message boards.  Unless it is an actual athlete, or coach directly involved in the situation, EVERYTHING else is 2nd, 3rd, or farther down the line had and all it is is someone believing something said that may, or more than likely, may not be true.  Nothing on a message board should ever be taken as gospel.

Edited by BirdsOnTheBat
didn't finish

3 hours ago, swmckewon said:

There's just one whole truth. The truth is the truth. As to what it is, we can't always discern, in part because of differing perspectives. But the truth just...is. 

This deserves an up arrow from everyone.  There is no such thing as your truth;  only your opinion.

Edited by jdw