Jacobson Gone?

hskr4life

41 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

C. Had we started a coaching search at the correct time (the day after the season ended), then we absolutely should have been able to attract a great coach.

I'm wrestling with this one... I'm not even entirely sure we would have "[absolutely] attract a great coach." Maybe that's just me though. With our administration, Nebraska's basketball history (let alone the past two decades), and being the only power conference team to not won an NCAA tournament game, our realistic prospects is smaller than a lot of other power conference schools. We've been taking the risks hiring the up-and-comers, many of which didn't seem to pan out, but at some point you either strike gold with an up-and-comer or pay the big bucks to hire a big name coach.

If you wanna save 5 minutes. Lee B's article was basically - Transfers happen everywhere else too and look over there, its Jordy and Copeland. 

What's frightening for me right now is our only true 5 is Jordy and the only guy were in on put up 3.5 pts and 3.5 rebs in the Big South last year. We could be eaten alive in the paint next year. 

Edited by The Polish Rifle

3 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Swanigan was a beast that absolutely dominated teams inside.  The vast majority of his points came in the paint and at the free throw line (which was a direct result of bruising inside rather than jacking up shots from the perimeter).  The fact that he also made a single three pointer per game doesn't negate the fact that he is a dominant traditional PF.

Those are not good 3pt percentages for Wisconsin.  Also, tell me with a straight face that Nigel Hayes scares you more shooting from the outside than he does when catching the ball in the low post.  You can't.

Minnesota looks pretty traditional to me, but I'll admit I only watched them when they were playing Nebraska.

I agree with you on Justin Jackson and Maryland.  That's one team that legitimately uses their 4 as a perimeter-oriented player.  And Michigan uses all five players more on the perimeter, especially since Wagner logs more minutes at the 5 than the 4.  So there's two teams.

You stopped listing teams at an awfully convenient time though, since the other three B1G teams with winning conference records (Northwestern, Iowa, and MSU) all roll out a starting lineup with two post players.  So out of the 8 teams with a winning record, 6 of them play a traditional PF.  That's 75%.  And one of the only two teams that truly relied on a stretch 4 was in the ACC when most of its roster was recruited.  So yeah, I'd "seriously" say that the B1G remains a bruising league.

NW and MSU definitely didn't start two post players this year. Lumpkin wasn't a great shooter but he was really a 6'6" wing, and if you think Bridges is a traditional post player, well, no.

9 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

somehow manages to bamboozle the fan base by telling funny jokes and smiling big.

Us schmucks also can see that he's brought in a higher level of player and knows that the goal is making the NCAA tourney. Heck, he even lucked into one.

But now the number of big time recruits leaving is far outpacing the number coming in

Crunch the numbers again.

B. He should be fired.  See Point A.

C. It will be difficult to land a top-notch coach at this point of the coaching carousel.

One of the big points to keeping Miles: Who do you have lined up? We have someone as good, better lined up?  See ya later Tim.
You can sit here all day and point fingers about how dumb it is for wanting to keep Miles around for another year but your plan now is to find someone who is not Miles to probably not do any better for the next 4-5 years. Let's look at which mid-major coaches made the tournament this year and just hope it works out, right?  YOLO!

9 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Transfers happen everywhere else too

We have guys on here lamenting about Fuller transferring. You cannot overemphasize the points that transfers happen and that not every single one from the team you follow is a personal rejection and not every single one is unhelpful.

Hard to do, but we have to move on and hope that someway, some how, some magic can happen.  Recruiting becomes paramount to any type of success for next year.  But hey, right now:

Post - Jordy

PF - Copeland, McVeigh, Roby

Wing - Roby McVeigh, Palmer, Nana

SG - Roby, Nana, Palmer, Gill, Evan

PG - GW, Evan, Roby.

We have a couple of walk-ons that could help a little...but we need some good recruiting news.

35 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

One of the big points to keeping Miles: Who do you have lined up? We have someone as good, better lined up?  See ya later Tim.
You can sit here all day and point fingers about how dumb it is for wanting to keep Miles around for another year but your plan now is to find someone who is not Miles to probably not do any better for the next 4-5 years. Let's look at which mid-major coaches made the tournament this year and just hope it works out, right?  YOLO!

Hey, you're overlooking the fact that this job has been a stepping stone for coaches to get prime gigs like Southern Miss and Duquesne. Who could pass on that?

We also have to worry that Palmer is eligible based upon unverified rumors on this board. So many of the rumors have been true this year that I am becoming paranoid. We need some good news on the transfer front to cheer folks up, continued development during the summer by the remaining players who want to be here, and an us-against-the world attitude on next year's team.

53 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Us schmucks also can see that he's brought in a higher level of player and knows that the goal is making the NCAA tourney. Heck, he even lucked into one.

Crunch the numbers again.

http://huskercorner.com/2017/04/10/nebraska-basketball-10-candidates-to-replace-tim-miles/

Granted half of those names are completely unrealistic, but not all. And for the third time I'll say why not just name Lewis an interim coach? I've yet to see a response. 

33 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

http://huskercorner.com/2017/04/10/nebraska-basketball-10-candidates-to-replace-tim-miles/

Granted half of those names are completely unrealistic, but not all. And for the third time I'll say why not just name Lewis an interim coach? I've yet to see a response. 

Sure.

If you made a list of potential head coaches for Nebraska that included Dana Altman you're a hack. If you've done so in the last two weeks you're a hack that writes about Nebraska basketball when you aren't musing about what Bob Diaco is going to do with the Blackshirts. I mean, seriously?  As I said before, you have someone else lined up I'm all over it.  Thus, if we had anyone on some hack's listicle lined up we already would have fired Miles and went through their press conference.

Lewis as the interim coach?  So let's take the instability of the current program and put the onus on a guy who also might not be here in a year .  We're going to fill 4 scholarships and/or recruits for 2018/2019 with a band-aid coach? Once again,YOLOFIRING the coach isn't a guaranteed panacea and is probably the recipe for 5 more years of the bottom of the B1G basement.

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

We also have to worry that Palmer is eligible based upon unverified rumors on this board. So many of the rumors have been true this year that I am becoming paranoid. We need some good news on the transfer front to cheer folks up, continued development during the summer by the remaining players who want to be here, and an us-against-the world attitude on next year's team.

Good news for you then jimmy, Kansas is getting a couple of big time transfers!

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

Is Lee the king of clickbait tweets at OWH?  I mean, some of his stuff is just short of "these two cute puppies find a kitty stranded in a burning tree...YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!"

Come on, man!

Nonononononono....    not a burning tree,,,,,      I hope those puppies are brave as well as cute.  As if I don't have enough to worry about with everybody leaving the team.  Now I gotta worry about a kitten and a burning tree!  Thanks 49r.:blink:

Edited by Silverbacked1