Jacobson Gone?

hskr4life

13 minutes ago, colhusker said:

He said this what 2 weeks ago? Also stable and lacking players but hey it's stable.

Gee birds and hsker4life down arrows because I pointed out Miles said no one was transferring two weeks ago?  He did make that statement.  We have 9 bodies now and two may or may not be healthy and one may have grade issues.  I want Miles to fix this as bad as anyone if he is still our coach next season.

5 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Gee birds and hsker4life down arrows because I pointed out Miles said no one was transferring two weeks ago?  He did make that statement.  We have 9 bodies now and two may or may not be healthy and one may have grade issues.  I want Miles to fix this as bad as anyone if he is still our coach next season.

I wouldn't let it get to you. Unless you are claiming we will be final four bound next year some will look down at you. Some prefer to keep their head in the sand....and that's fine. May be best way to go about being a Nebrasketball fan. 

1 minute ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I wouldn't let it get to you. Unless you are claiming we will be final four bound next year some will look down at you. Some prefer to keep their head in the sand....and that's fine. May be best way to go about being a Nebrasketball fan. 

Oh it didn't get me down, I would buy them both a beer if possible.

Just now, huskerbaseball13 said:

Yep... and unless you claim that Miles will never succeed here, he should be fired, every coach we want to hire is a pipe dream, and every coach at the University is crap... some will look down on you too.  See... I can do it too.  Would rather have my head in the sand than where some people have them.

1 minute ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I've exhausted most of my Netflix reserve, so this drama is filling a hole for me right now.  

I love you no matter what, nebrasketball.

I know everyone here cares what I have to say, so...

I like miles.  I lucked my way into an extended visit with him.  But if this burning poo cart doesn't put itself out I think all grown ups understand what will need to be done.

At the same time I look at it this way... We can at least talk about Glynn and Roby and Jordy rather than cookie, Toney, and bjd.  (apologies if I'm off some seasons with the three)

7 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Yep... and unless you claim that Miles will never succeed here, he should be fired, every coach we want to hire is a pipe dream, and every coach at the University is crap... some will look down on you too.  See... I can do it too.  Would rather have my head in the sand than where some people have them.

:lol:

47 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I saw this post and went to my Twitter feed - wondered how I missed it. After a little investigation, I discovered that I had been blocked by Lee. I have no idea why, as I don't engage him or many others for that matter. But I think I feel really good about it!

35 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

A. The overwhelming odds are that Miles won't succeed here.  We're not talking about Tom Osborne "not being able to win the big one" and just needing a little patience to get over the hump. No, instead we're talking about a guy who has a miserable conference record through 5 seasons (a record that isn't getting any better, I might add) but somehow manages to bamboozle the fan base by telling funny jokes and smiling big.  He used to at least be able sell hope for the future, because there was always one or two big-time transfers or recruits on the horizon.  But now the number of big time recruits leaving is far outpacing the number coming in, and he couldn't even win with a roster full of talented players.

B. He should be fired.  See Point A.

C. It will be difficult to land a top-notch coach at this point of the coaching carousel.  Had we started a coaching search at the correct time (the day after the season ended), then we absolutely should have been able to attract a great coach.

D. No, not every coach.  Among the sports that I follow, only Miles fits that category.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Swanigan was a beast that absolutely dominated teams inside.  The vast majority of his points came in the paint and at the free throw line (which was a direct result of bruising inside rather than jacking up shots from the perimeter).  The fact that he also made a single three pointer per game doesn't negate the fact that he is a dominant traditional PF.

Those are not good 3pt percentages for Wisconsin.  Also, tell me with a straight face that Nigel Hayes scares you more shooting from the outside than he does when catching the ball in the low post.  You can't.

Minnesota looks pretty traditional to me, but I'll admit I only watched them when they were playing Nebraska.

I agree with you on Justin Jackson and Maryland.  That's one team that legitimately uses their 4 as a perimeter-oriented player.  And Michigan uses all five players more on the perimeter, especially since Wagner logs more minutes at the 5 than the 4.  So there's two teams.

You stopped listing teams at an awfully convenient time though, since the other three B1G teams with winning conference records (Northwestern, Iowa, and MSU) all roll out a starting lineup with two post players.  So out of the 8 teams with a winning record, 6 of them play a traditional PF.  That's 75%.  And one of the only two teams that truly relied on a stretch 4 was in the ACC when most of its roster was recruited.  So yeah, I'd "seriously" say that the B1G remains a bruising league.

I stopped at the top 5... but here are a couple more:

Iowa = 40% (Baer)

Northwestern = 47% (Taphorn), 40% (Law) ... No. 1 and 2 on the team

So, what are you talking about?  7 of the top 9 teams have at least one forward who is a three point threat.  77%.  

MSU and Minnesota are your outliers, big time.  

Lastly, just because two of those players can also bang inside does not negate the fact that they have to be guarded at the 3 point line.  A 30+% 3pt shooter has to be guarded on the perimeter whether you personally think those are good percentages or not.  Swanigan and Hayes are unicorns because they can play inside or outside.  They are also future NBA players.  

4 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

C. It will be difficult to land a top-notch coach at this point of the coaching carousel.  Had we started a coaching search at the correct time (the day after the season ended), then we absolutely should have been able to attract a great coach.

This falls right on the million dollar AD. I can't wait until his tenure is over here.

4 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I stopped at the top 5... but here are a couple more:

Iowa = 40% (Baer)

Northwestern = 47% (Taphorn), 40% (Law) ... No. 1 and 2 on the team

So, what are you talking about?  7 of the top 9 teams have at least one forward who is a three point threat.  77%.  

MSU and Minnesota are your outliers, big time.  

Lastly, just because two of those players can also bang inside does not negate the fact that they have to be guarded at the 3 point line.  A 30+% 3pt shooter has to be guarded on the perimeter whether you personally think those are good percentages or not.  Swanigan and Hayes are unicorns because they can play inside or outside.  They are also future NBA players.  

Baer wasn't a starter, nor was he a 4.  He primarily played the 3 when coming in as their 6th man.  Iowa played Wagner, Cook, Pencel, Uhl, and even sometimes Kriener between their 4 & 5 positions.  When Baer did slide down to the 4, it was more a result of Fran intentionally playing small ball than anything else.  LeBron played at the 5 a bunch a couple years ago in the playoffs when they wanted to go small, but that certainly doesn't make him a Center.  Same situation with Baer.  The dude is a 3, and a pretty traditional one at that.

Law really wasn't Northwestern's starting 4 either, he was more of their 3.  Lumpkin was the guy usually assigned to guard the other team's 4, with Law covering the opposing team's wing.  And as for Taphorn.....who?  I seriously had to look that guy up because I couldn't even remember him.  I don't know what point you're trying to make when you're talking about guys who only score 4 points a game in 12 minutes of PT.  Maybe he did play the 4, I honestly don't know.  Because again, the guy rode the bench most of the time.  He literally played 4 minutes in the last game against us.

Yes, both Hayes and Swanigan are monsters with long NBA careers in front of them.  But they are both absolutely inside players first, who happen to be able to hit from outside.  Not the other way around.  If you happen to have some defensive stalwart on your team that can both guard the perimeter and the post, then great.  But odds are you're going to have to either put a big guy on him who's uncomfortable covering the perimeter, or a small guy on him who will get abused inside.  The correct call on both of those guys is to take away their points in the paint and just live with them getting a couple open looks from deep.