Jacobson Gone?

hskr4life

We're 9 deep right now and actively recruiting.  Our starting front court center is back and prepped for a breakout season.  Our PF position was always going to be a logjam, and we have a player coming in who is better than either of the guys who left.  

Now we lose Watson?  Fire Miles.  That would be inexcusable because of the playing time he's going to garner.  

Losing Morrow (and his usage when he was here) was a big enough mistake.  I'm not really worried about MJ though.  Both of those guys were going to have trouble with sharing minutes next year due to newcomers (Jordy, Copeland).  

Also, I thought Roby was every bit as good as Jacobson at the 4 last year.  They are different players, but it was only a matter of time before Roby was going to be seeing the court with big minutes.  It probably happens next year for him as a utility player.  But yeah, we're 9 deep.  

I'm all for positivity as I like to think I am one of the more optimistic ppl on this board but you can't have it both ways. It's the same thing we've done with AW3, Terran, and Walt. When they leave it's for the better of the team bc you don't want someone who is selfish or doesn't want to be here or is a ball hog. But then when we go on to fail the following season what is our first excuse? Well we lost so and so blah blah blah. If we could be had them we would've been a lot better. BUT JUST MONTHS AGO WE WERE BETTER WITHOUT THEM. 

I'm willing to bet the same thing will happen with Ed and MJ.

12 minutes ago, LK1 said:

6pts, 6rebs per game.  17% 3pt shooting.  65% FT shooting.  Not quick enough to guard stretch 4s.  Too small to guard the 5.  Couldn't make a shot from 5 feet.

I'm a little baffled by everyone freaking out on this one.  The kid wasn't even going to start next year.  

Compare it to a healthy Copeland during his sophomore campaign at GTown:  6'9", 11pts, 5rebs, 30% 3pt shooting, 80%FT.  

I loved Jacobson's contributions, but I don't remember a more Role Player! role player than him in recent memory.  He's getting replaced by a 5*.  Relax.

The more I think about MJ and Ed, the more I think they both might be transferring because they weren't going to get minutes because of the way the roster is shaking out.  Ed's made a lot less sense to me because he was always going to be good enough to get on the court.  But Jacobson?  He's going to be behind a guy who can score 15-25 points on any given night at the 4 and a true center at the 5.   

Again, it still shakes out well, imo:

Watson/Taylor

Akenten/Gill

McVeigh/Palmer

Copeland/Roby

Tshimanga/?? 

Again, 1-4 can shoot the ball.  I'm sorry.  That matters.  

It's not because MJ was some great player.   It's all the other factors.   We have 9 scholarship guys.   9.   And that's if everything else goes according to plan.   Copeland is still waiting for the waiver and is coming off surgery.   Gill is coming off a very serious surgery.   There are the grade issues with Palmer.   The rumors on Watson have already been discussed.   

Maybe he wouldn't have started....but this was still a two-year starter and a guy who was going to play 20mpg for us and a likely captain.   He was one of the hardest workers in the offseason.   He may struggle a tad on offense at times but he defends and rebounds.   I'll take those things over the 3-4 open scholarships or reaches will end up with.

Edited by nustudent

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I wasn't targeting anyone... but if the shoe fits........

How do you honestly expect people to view the ongoings of this program?   Seriously.   You've lost two starters, have major questions on returning players...not many real options on the recruiting trail and are coming off a 12-19 season where you've lost 3 starters.   Whether it's me or anyone else....no one is trying to view that negatively.   It is negative.

I'm also concerned about Jordys development. I'm sure he's a hard working kid with a great work ethic but it's not science to know that better players make you better. There's a good chance Jordys was starting regardless of if Ed or MJ left. But at least he would've had to earn it. Now it's his with real no competition in sight and nobody to really push him in practice.

Just now, nustudent said:

It's not because MJ was some great player.   It's all the other factors.   We have 8 scholarship guys.   8.   And that's if everything else goes according to plan.   Copeland is still waiting for the waiver and is coming off surgery.   Gill is coming off a very serious surgery.   There are the grade issues with Palmer.   The rumors on Watson have already been discussed.   

Maybe he wouldn't have started....but this was still a two-year starter and a guy who was going to play 20mpg for us and a likely captain.   He was one of the hardest workers in the offseason.   He may struggle a tad on offense at times but he defends and rebounds.   I'll take those things over the 3-4 open scholarships or reaches will end up with.

Am I crazy that I keep counting 9, man?  Which one is the walkon I am unaware of?  

1.  Watson

2.  Akenten

3.  Copeland

4.  Roby

5.  Tshimanga

6.  Gill

7.  Palmer

8.  Taylor

9.  McVeigh

As for Jacobson, I've always said I liked the kid, and I still do, but I think we all wanted him to be better than he was because he was such a hard worker.  He didn't just struggle a tad on offense--he was a bonafide liability.  He just had decent shooting form and good footwork, so it didn't look as bad when the ball clanked off the front of the rim.  But he was a worse shooter than Morrow--even from midrange--and shared his FT percentage.  

12 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Let's face it.  We've been through this before... Certain posters are going to try their hardest to freak out.  I have just come to the conclusion that these posters just cannot be happy at all.  They are negative during these stretches.  They were negative during our winning streaks (or dormant).  Some people just have to take the negative approach to life which is really sad.  I feel for them.

Thanks for feeling for the realistic fans. Much appreciated.

Just now, LK1 said:

Am I crazy that I keep counting 9, man?  Which one is the walkon I am unaware of?  

1.  Watson

2.  Akenten

3.  Copeland

4.  Roby

5.  Tshimanga

6.  Gill

7.  Palmer

8.  Taylor

9.  McVeigh

As for Jacobson, I've always said I liked the kid, and I still do, but I think we all wanted him to be better than he was because he was such a hard worker.  He didn't just struggle a tad on offense--he was a bonafide liability.  He just had decent shooting form and good footwork, so it didn't look as bad when the ball clanked off the front of the rim.  But he was a worse shooter than Morrow--even from midrange--and shared his FT percentage.  

I miscounted on that.

If everyone else was returning and it was just MJ transferring...this isn't as big of a deal.   His transfer is compounded by all the other departures we've had.  He's not a star.  He's not an all conference guy.   He's a grinder.  A good role guy.   A guy who started for two years.   He's experienced.   We are now razor thin in the front court.   

3 minutes ago, nustudent said:

How do you honestly expect people to view the ongoings of this program?   Seriously.   You've lost two starters, have major questions on returning players...not many real options on the recruiting trail and are coming off a 12-19 season where you've lost 3 starters.   Whether it's me or anyone else....no one is trying to view that negatively.   It is negative.

It isn't just the current situation that I was referring to first off.  Secondly, I do not think the Jacobson loss is nearly as big as the Morrow loss.  I look at what we still have returning and see the positive.  There are certain pieces we absolutely cannot afford to lose.  Jacobson was not one of those pieces in my opinion.  Not many real options on the recruiting trail is laughable.  There are plenty of options right now if you'd visit the recruiting board.

I miscounted on that.

If everyone else was returning and it was just MJ transferring...this isn't as big of a deal.   His transfer is compounded by all the other departures we've had.  He's not a star.  He's not an all conference guy.   He's a grinder.  A good role guy.   A guy who started for two years.   He's experienced.   We are now razor thin in the front court.   

OK.  I think your concerns are valid, but we had 100 power forwards on the roster for next year.  We need a backup center and a backup PG.  Nothing really changes from a recruiting perspective with these losses.  If Miles fills those two spots, we're a better team than last year because we can actually score with the newcomers and put out a roster who can spread the floor offensively.  We'll be better at the 4 defensively because Roby and Copeland can both switch on the perimeter.  

Just now, hskr4life said:

It isn't just the current situation that I was referring to first off.  Secondly, I do not think the Jacobson loss is nearly as big as the Morrow loss.  I look at what we still have returning and see the positive.  There are certain pieces we absolutely cannot afford to lose.  Jacobson was not one of those pieces in my opinion.  Not many real options on the recruiting trail is laughable.  There are plenty of options right now if you'd visit the recruiting board.

I think Morrow is likely a better player...but the impact of MJ transferring is compounded by the fact that we also already lost Morrow.   And yes...considering the pieces on our roster, I don't think we can afford to lose MJ.   Doesn't mean he was even going to start....but there's no depth.  Not good when your frontcourt is set to consist of a guy who isn't yet eligible for the first semester and a guy who likes to foul alot.   

How is it laughable.   We have 4 open spots.   Who are we all in on?   Allen, maybe?   He's legit.   I'll give you that.   Do you like our odds of getting him?   I don't.   Maybe a JUCO guy with mid major offers...or a reserve at WInthrop who makes Jacobson look like Reggie Miller?

I think Morrow is likely a better player...but the impact of MJ transferring is compounded by the fact that we also already lost Morrow.   And yes...considering the pieces on our roster, I don't think we can afford to lose MJ.   Doesn't mean he was even going to start....but there's no depth.  Not good when your frontcourt is set to consist of a guy who isn't yet eligible for the first semester and a guy who likes to foul alot.   

How is it laughable.   We have 4 open spots.   Who are we all in on?   Allen, maybe?   He's legit.   I'll give you that.   Do you like our odds of getting him?   I don't.   Maybe a JUCO guy with mid major offers...or a reserve at WInthrop who makes Jacobson look like Reggie Miller?

As I have said before there are different ways to look at things.  Everything in bold can be looked at 2 ways.  Some just choose the negative route, and some choose the positive route.

2 minutes ago, LK1 said:

OK.  I think your concerns are valid, but we had 100 power forwards on the roster for next year.  We need a backup center and a backup PG.  Nothing really changes from a recruiting perspective with these losses.  If Miles fills those two spots, we're a better team than last year because we can actually score with the newcomers and put out a roster who can spread the floor offensively.  We'll be better at the 4 defensively because Roby and Copeland can both switch on the perimeter.  

Yeah, because the B1G is known for it's stretch 4's way more than it's tradional PF's.  No reputation at all as a bruiser league.  Oh wait...

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

As I have said before there are different ways to look at things.  Everything in bold can be looked at 2 ways.  Some just choose the negative route, and some choose the positive route.

But that's not negative though.   It's just reality.   It's okay to be objective.

20 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I'm a little baffled by everyone freaking out on this one.  The kid wasn't even going to start next year.  

Jacobson I think grew up in a pro-Nebraska family. He was a team leader. Morrow grew up in Lincoln.

In some regards people are right that maybe these guys weren't going to start and that basically we need to fill depth here.

On the other hand we're talking about losing two guys that were the backbone of the entire team. We're losing two guys that most fit the bill of players that would stick with Nebraska through thick and thin.

The problem with these transfers is that they reveal the ugly truth that Miles is good at building a program from the ruins but not necessarily good at building a culture that will get guys to believe in things above themselves. There's always the possibility that this allows us to bring in complementary pieces to the guys we have now....something that might actually allow us to put a team that fits together as opposed to a collection of talent. It's also possible it will be another basement year or even Miles getting axed/outta Dodge before that.  Regardless, once again there is a hard limit to the Miles era without him winning next year so it's not like we are doomed to repeat this same thing again next year (knock on wood) 

33 minutes ago, LK1 said:

We're 9 deep right now and actively recruiting.  Our starting front court center is back and prepped for a breakout season.  Our PF position was always going to be a logjam, and we have a player coming in who is better than either of the guys who left.  

Now we lose Watson?  Fire Miles.  That would be inexcusable because of the playing time he's going to garner.  

Losing Morrow (and his usage when he was here) was a big enough mistake.  I'm not really worried about MJ though.  Both of those guys were going to have trouble with sharing minutes next year due to newcomers (Jordy, Copeland).  

Also, I thought Roby was every bit as good as Jacobson at the 4 last year.  They are different players, but it was only a matter of time before Roby was going to be seeing the court with big minutes.  It probably happens next year for him as a utility player.  But yeah, we're 9 deep.  

Whose gonna want to come here though? As far as we know, Miles is on a one year deal coming off a losing season whose transfers have amassed so much that we have now lost over half of our scoring and rebounding from a team that, once again, had a losing record.

That's a tough act for anybody to sell, no matter who you are.

The problem with these transfers is that we will, once again, have one or two players who have to carry the whole team after having had average at best seasons before. Watson, Roby and Tshimanga will have to be at least second team all-conference performers to make Nebraska competitive. Everyone else is injured, unproven and learning to play within this team.

Every year we have  Webster, White, or Petteway, or Ubel, or Maric, or Dagunduro, who reaches previously unmatched levels of scoring and leadership and becomes the focus of the program...but the lack of a wingman or wingmen makes us too easy to stop. 

Jacobson and Morrow were Big 10 caliber players. They weren't all-conference, but over the next two years they could have established bedrock depth and been starters/contributors. Remember that when we made the tournament tournament we had:

Shields/Petteway/Pitchford,

Chubick/Piatkowski/Badgett,

King/Reid/Hayes/Scales/Farmer

Strickland/Boone/Lue/Hamilton

Our transfers may come in with tremendous effort and skill and turn this thing around, our freshman and any additional recruits may be diamonds that others missed, but this pattern, and it isn't exclusive to Miles, is just too familiar.