OT: Now that it's officially the off-season ...

Now that it's the off-season and we can apparently relax a little bit, this came on my radar.  My wife was reading about some list of 25 classic songs that still give you the chills.

I thought I was had pretty eclectic musical tastes, but there were some songs on there I wasn't familiar with including a Billy Joel song ("All for Leyna") that I had honestly never heard before.  And some others that never gave me chills at all, let alone still give them to me.

"Tears in Heaven" was a good example.  You know Eric Clapton is singing about his toddler son who fell of a balcony and died.  It's a real dirge to a real person.  Legit chills when you hear it.  I can go with that one.  But "All for Leyna" didn't chill me when I listened to it.

Here's the Billy Joel song that still gives me chills:

18 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Like Custer and his men, I know I'm going to take "down" arrows in every part of my body, but so be it.  In my humble music opinion, Jimi Hendrix' music is some of the most overrated in the rock 'n' roll era.  Hey, that's what my musical taste buds tell me.  Let the arrows fly.....

3 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Like Custer and his men, I know I'm going to take "down" arrows in every part of my body, but so be it.  In my humble music opinion, Jimi Hendrix' music is some of the most overrated in the rock 'n' roll era.  Hey, that's what my musical taste buds tell me.  Let the arrows fly.....

I won't down arrow you, but the dude is perhaps the most gifted guitar player ever.  He backed up some great musicians before he broke out.  He backed up Little Richard, B.B. King, Sam Cooke and the Isley Brothers among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht7mxF9XZiA

I always love Johnny but this was done so differetly because he knew he was at the end of his life and he went back to his roots of growing up in Arkansas sining gospel.

I like the old school country and the outlaw stuff today.

Edited by Silverbacked1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYGwxf1gCC4

This could almost be my own Grandpas on my Dad's side theme song.  

Growing wild as a March hare in Southern Illinois.  He got my Grandma pragent when he was 21 and she was 16, so his wedding day would have been sweaty.  They didn't tell anybody for a month till Grandma started to show. Stayed married for 62 years.  He was drafted into WWII at 30 years old.  Was just a mechanic but if he hadn't hurt his back and had to stay in Florida when the rest of the camp shipped out to Omaha Beach.  He and the other 6 guys who were hurt and didn't go.  If you don't count them then there was only like 24 GI's that made it from that camp of 600.  So I most likely would not have ever met my Grandpa.  My Dad was 9 when he was drafted so I still would have been here.:blink:

Edited by Silverbacked1