Nebraska with a legit 10-man rotation next season?!

What do you guys think of this rotation for Nebraska next season?:

STARTERS:

PG: Webster                      6’3”, 185 lbs

SG: Shields                        6’6”, 215 lbs

SF: Petteway                     6’6”, 210 lbs

PF: Atewe*                        6’9”, 230 lbs

C: Pitchford                        6’10”, 230 lbs

1st OFF BENCH:

PG: Biggs                             6’0”, 175 lbs

SG: Gallegos                       6’2”, 185 lbs

SF: Fuller                              6’7”, 195 lbs

PF: Rivers                            6’7”, 195 lbs

C: Vucetic                            7’1”, 240 lbs

*Atewe is obviously not committed to Nebraska, but since all of this is hypothetical anyway, I figured I would add him in there, because it seems that Nebraska has a decent shot to land him.

---This starting rotation would be SICK and would be filled with incredibly long players, which would be just as advantageous on the defensive side of the court as it would be on offense.  A defense that starts 6’3”, 6’6”, 6’6”, 6’9”, and 6’10” could cause nightmares for opposing offenses.  Also, few teams have SG that is as active rebounding as Shields has been for Nebraska.  I think this would be another HUGE advantage for the Huskers defensively by limiting the opportunity of second chance points for opposing offenses.  I think Shields would also cause problems for players trying to guard him on the other end of the floor, because he is also much more active in the paint offensively than most SG are.

---In this scenario, I could also see Gallegos starting in place of Webster, because he has more in-game experience, so Webster would then take his spot in the second unit.  Either way, this would be a LEGIT 10-man rotation for the Huskers.  I could see Nebraska jumping from #10 or #11 in the Big Ten conference this season up to  the top half of the Big Ten conference as soon as next season. It’s crazy to think that Nebraska will go from being a team with no depth and a shortage of scholarship players to a team with a legitimate 10-man rotation in the span of only one season.

---I would not be surprised to see Parker transfer after this season.  He doesn’t seem to be getting it on either the offensive or defensive side of the ball.  I can’t imagine that he would stick around if he didn’t find himself in Nebraska’s top-10 player rotation and with as heavy as this team is at the guard position, there are only so many minutes to go around…Not saying that I want this to happen, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

I don't see Vucetic in any 10 man rotation - especially if we get Atewe.  Also would not envision both Atewe and Pitchford starting -likely they would be in a rotation at the post. 

You left out Hawkins - maybe assuming he would redshirt. 

I also would not eliminate Parker from consideration.  He needs to develop confidence in his shot and comfort at this level - but he has shown a few productive flashes in some areas this year.

I don't see Atewe as a starter in his freshman year. I also don't know why Petteway would start over Gallegos, Rivers, Fuller. He did not do much at Texas Tech.

Webster, Gallegos, Shields, and Pitchford seem like locks to start next year.

There will be a battle for that last forward spot between petteway, fuller, and rivers. I'm pretty high on Fuller, so I could see him starting next year. Biggs, Petteway, Hawkins, Rivers, Atewe, Vucetic, Parker is a solid bench though.

I don't see Atewe as a starter in his freshman year. I also don't know why Petteway would start over Gallegos, Rivers, Fuller. He did not do much at Texas Tech.

There will be a battle for that last forward spot between petteway, fuller, and rivers. I'm pretty high on Fuller, so I could see him starting next year. Biggs, Petteway, Hawkins, Rivers, Atewe, Vucetic, Parker is a solid bench though.

Neither did Pitchford, for that matter and Webster has even less experience at this level than either of those two.  

The best five will work itself out.  We've even see that happen this season.  As the season has progressed, the best five, as health has allowed, have found their way onto the floor.

The rotation will start big and contract and work itself down by the time we get to conference play.  By then, we should know who the best five are and that's who will start.

I think there will be two different starting groups. One at the beginning of the season and one mid season. Here is how I see it playing out:

Beginning of the season

pg  Parker                   TM will favor ball security early. Webster won't have the handles early & Biggs has a sg mentality 

sg  Gallegos                Rey will improve and plays good defense

sf   Petteway               Scoring threat and excellent slasher

pf   Shields                  Fits at one of the wings and is becomes an even more accomplished scorer

c    Pitchford                More of a face up 4 but will understand TMs offense

first off the bench: Webster at pg, biggs at sg, fuller & rivers at wing and atewe/serbian cigar in the middle

2nd half of season

pg  Webster               Better knowledge of the offense and better handles allow him to start

sg  Gallegos              I don't see anyone unseating him

sf   Petteway/fuller     Can't predict this one

pf   Shields                He'll be difficult to unseat

c    Pitchford              Still the best option

first off the bench: parker at pg, biggs at sg, rivers at wing and atewe/serbian cigar in the middle

Tim, I'm also high on Fuller but it's going to be a pitched battle for getting the best spots on the rotation.  That's a good problem to have.

I agree with whoever said that Gallegos, Shields and Pitchford seem like locks to start.  Pitchford by default for not having another big.  And even if we bring in Atewe, he seems like he needs to develop before he's beating out experienced returning players for a spot in the starting lineup.

So, who will the next two starters be?  You have to say Webster has a good shot at point just because of what we've been told about him.  We've also heard some very good things about Petteway.  I don't think I see Shields as a SG, though.  More of a PF, actually.  Just in terms of the type of game he has.

Next year's starting lineup might look something like:

PG  Webster

SG  Gallegos )

SF  Petteway ) wings, if you will

PF  Shields    )

PF  Pitchford

These might be backed up by:

PG  Parker or Biggs

SG  Hawkins  )

SF   Fuller      ) wings, if you will

SF   Rivers     )

PF   Atewe (we're making an assumption on signing another guy, so I'll go with this one.)

I also don't know why Petteway would start over Gallegos, Rivers, Fuller. He did not do much at Texas Tech.

Lots of guys dont do well as freshmen that go on to have big careers.  Jared Berggren at Wisconsin averaged 1.2 and 2.4 points his first two years before blowing up last season.  Some guys need an adjustment period from being the man to being a team player.  They also have to adjust to strength and a tougher daily schedule.  I think with a grooming year for Petteway and Pitchford i think you will see much better products than they were as freshmen elsewhere.

Neither did Pitchford, for that matter and Webster has even less experience at this level than either of those two.  

The best five will work itself out.  We've even see that happen this season.  As the season has progressed, the best five, as health has allowed, have found their way onto the floor.

The rotation will start big and contract and work itself down by the time we get to conference play.  By then, we should know who the best five are and that's who will start.

Pitchford played on a much better team than Petteway, and Pitchford had a lot better college offers than Petteway. I'm not saying Petteway won't start, but I don't think you can put him ahead of Fuller and Rivers right now.

Webster scored 21 points in 24 minutes in an olympic qualifier game at age 17. I would say that is enough to put him ahead of Biggs and Parker.

MandR that was a good post and what you say has a lot of merit.

No matter how you slice it, though, this team is going to be full of freshmen and sophomores taking up most of the spots in the rotation.  And really, as you look at things now, there might only be one upper classman (junior or senior) in the starting lineup and maybe only 1 in the top 7 players.  I think it's inevitable next year that we're going to have a very young team.  Extremely young.  Because I just don't see Biggs, Gallegos and Rivers all starting.  Maybe only one of them.

I also don't know why Petteway would start over Gallegos, Rivers, Fuller. He did not do much at Texas Tech.

Lots of guys dont do well as freshmen that go on to have big careers.  Jared Berggren at Wisconsin averaged 1.2 and 2.4 points his first two years before blowing up last season.  Some guys need an adjustment period from being the man to being a team player.  They also have to adjust to strength and a tougher daily schedule.  I think with a grooming year for Petteway and Pitchford i think you will see much better products than they were as freshmen elsewhere.

Yea. I just didn't think it made sense to move our leading scorer (Gallegos) to the bench in favor of Petteway.

Pitchford played on a much better team than Petteway, and Pitchford had a lot better college offers than Petteway. I'm not saying Petteway won't start, but I don't think you can put him ahead of Fuller and Rivers right now.

Webster scored 21 points in 24 minutes in an olympic qualifier game at age 17. I would say that is enough to put him ahead of Biggs and Parker.

I don't think you can assume it.  It's possible, probable, perhaps, but until he gets here and we see how he fits the system and adapts to this level and style of play, because the style of play in the Big Ten is strikingly different from the international game, you can't assume he will be.  That leads to a bunch of disappointment based on premature conclusions.  We're making assumptions on Webster based on a couple of games.  I'm excited for the kid and think he'll be very good, but we're making assumptions to that end on about the same amount of info that we're making the assumptions that Shields will the next big thing.  

The thing between Petteway and Pitchford is that Petteway did actually play, 13 mins a game, in a big boy conference and held his own.  That's a lot more to go off of than who Pitchford was offered by out of high school.

Yea. I just didn't think it made sense to move our leading scorer (Gallegos) to the bench in favor of Petteway.

If Petteway's better than Gallegos, then he should be starting over him.  We just have no way of knowing that at this point.

If Petteway's better than Gallegos, then he should be starting over him.  We just have no way of knowing that at this point.

It depends on our needs. Petteways first step is pretty quick. He is not physically strong relying more on height, quickness and ball handling skills to facilitate his game. Is he quick enough to play sg in the B1G? I'm not sure. This is where Gallegos may have a leg up. Also perimeter shooting. Petteway is a slasher and looks to have a strong mid range game along with real skills getting to the hoop. I have heard he is not very good at the 3 point line. Gallegos can be very good at the 3 point line. I assume we will favor a 3 point shooter with superior quickness and start Gallegos at the 2g.

IDK, with as much as Miles has talked about our struggles to get to the line, that could be a place where that starts to happen.  Gallegos isn't anything special from the three.  Occasionally, he'll light it up, and he should be quick enough to get to the rim off the bounce, but if getting to the line is a focus for Miles, I could see someone like Petteway taking minutes from Gallegos if he can give him that.  I think there will be many times where they're both on the floor.  That's a tangible area where Gallegos can improve during the offseason.  When on the break, don't pull up, take it to the rim.

IDK, with as much as Miles has talked about our struggles to get to the line, that could be a place where that starts to happen.  Gallegos isn't anything special from the three.  Occasionally, he'll light it up, and he should be quick enough to get to the rim off the bounce, but if getting to the line is a focus for Miles, I could see someone like Petteway taking minutes from Gallegos if he can give him that.  I think there will be many times where they're both on the floor.  That's a tangible area where Gallegos can improve during the offseason.  When on the break, don't pull up, take it to the rim.

I agree but I see Petteway taking minutes from Rivers and not Gallegos. Petteway will play a wing, Shields will be pf and Rivers will lose minutes. We need some 3 point shooting. Who are the logical 3 pt guys next year? Shields, Webster, Gallegos and Fuller (I am assuming Hawkins either redshirts or plays sparingly). I think Webster and Fuller will need some time before they are ready to play extended minutes. Shields starts but TM will need more than one 3 pt guy on the floor so I see Gallegos playing the role of the 2nd 3 pt guy on the floor. That means Petteway takes Rivers minutes, not Gallegos minutes. All of this could change if either Webster or Fuller come to Lincoln ready to play from day one!!!

I agree but I see Petteway taking minutes from Rivers and not Gallegos. Petteway will play a wing, Shields will be pf and Rivers will lose minutes. We need some 3 point shooting. Who are the logical 3 pt guys next year? Shields, Webster, Gallegos and Fuller (I am assuming Hawkins either redshirts or plays sparingly). I think Webster and Fuller will need some time before they are ready to play extended minutes. Shields starts but TM will need more than one 3 pt guy on the floor so I see Gallegos playing the role of the 2nd 3 pt guy on the floor. That means Petteway takes Rivers minutes, not Gallegos minutes. All of this could change if either Webster or Fuller come to Lincoln ready to play from day one!!!

Frankly, just about everyone will see their minutes go down.