Maryland & OSU transfers

Row6Seat10

Maryland women’s basketball head coach Brenda Frese announced Tuesday that Destiny Slocum, Kiah Gillespie and Jenna Staiti all have been granted permission to transfer.

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=211546991

Big chunk of good players leaving Maryland.

Very interesting that the B1G Freshman of the year Slocum and Gillespie asked for a transfer. Unless homesickness came into play for Slocum. She is originally from Boise Idaho. My guess she'll end up somewhere in the northwest. Gillespie was figured into the starting line-up by some next year so that's sort of strange twist too. She's from Connecticut.

Staiti mentioned she is somewhat homesick. She didn't see that much playing time. She's from Georgia.

Edited by Row6Seat10

McCoy and Kiara Lewis also leaving Ohio State. Mass exodus of top players from the Big Ten.

Transferring seems to be at epidemic proportions. Doesn't appear to be much dedication to a program or other players. Grass is greener elsewhere instead of trying to work things out or build a program together. Times have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, redsteve said:

Wasn't McCoy interested in NU at one time? She's a 6-4 big as I recall...if she's the one I'm remembering

I can't recall that she had any interest from Nebraska, redsteve. When she signed with OSU in 2015 she said she also considered Baylor, Illinois, Marquette, South Carolina and Tennesse. It's sort of questionable that she would transfer after all the playing time she received as a freshman last season especially with what OSU had coming back from the year previous. Some school is going to get a fairly good big girl in a few weeks.

McCoy came off the bench and played 24 minutes against NU last February and scored 9 points and grabbed 6 rebounds. Kiara Lewis on the other hand started for O-State in half their games. One of her starts for OSU came against the Huskers when we played them last February also and scored 8 points. I don't believe right now anyway that homesickness played a part in either of these two transfers. 

Tim McCoy, Tory McCoy's dad speaks out.

The 6-foot-4 freshman and her family envisioned that she’d play on the perimeter in college. After turning down schools because of their desire to play her in the post, she chose Ohio State, envisioning she’d play a versatile role.

She has elected to have calls from coaches directed to her parents, Tim said, and they have been flooded with calls and texts from coaches, including Baylor, Kansas State, Maryland, Louisville and others, and he received correspondence from Marquette during his interview with The News-Gazette. Illinois was not one of those schools, and Tim said the Illini won’t be in the running.

“That’s the thing about the recruiting process, is you never really know what coaches’ true intentions are, which is why you get so many transfers,” Tim said. “We have learned throughout this whole process what new questions we need to ask, but at the same time, you really never know what a coaches’ true intentions are until you get to that program. It’s like a shot in the dark, a role of the dice. Either way, we’re just going to have to sit down, we’re going to do our due diligence.”

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/prep-sports/girls-basketball/2017-04-05/update-illini-not-among-mccoys-options.html

Not to sure how many teams want a 6'4 kid playing on the perimeter.

7 hours ago, Row6Seat10 said:

Tim McCoy, Tory McCoy's dad speaks out.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/prep-sports/girls-basketball/2017-04-05/update-illini-not-among-mccoys-options.html

Not to sure how many teams want a 6'4 kid playing on the perimeter.

Yeah, We had two last year. And that didn't work so well.

14 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

We need to get back to the day when Coaches made personnel and position decisions and not players and parents.  Team before self or am I being too old fashioned?  

It seems according to a lot of the world you are.  But I find nothing wrong with it!;)

15 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

We need to get back to the day when Coaches made personnel and position decisions and not players and parents.  Team before self or am I being too old fashioned?  

I like it!  Happens on both sides of the game (men and women).  Sad thing is... this is starting to make it down to the high school ranks.