New Mexico a landing spot for Miles?

GATA

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

I agree.  My memory may be fuzzy, but isn't that what Alford did when going from Iowa to UNM?  And he was able to parlay success at UNM into a top-tier gig at UCLA.  It's also similar to McDermott leaving ISU for creighton a year before he would've got the boot, and now he's also back in a decent conference.  Voluntarily dropping down to a lower-level conference doesn't have to be a career-killer. 

With McDermott it is a circumstance of CU changing conferences.  A better example (like Alford) would be Dana Altman who left K-State for Creighton (at a point where Creighton was very clearly a lower level job than K-State) and then parlayed that into the Oregon job.

28 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

Unpopular? Most media openly and vigorously supported his return. Fans packed the place until the end of the regular season. 

The guy won 12 games in his 5th year. Him getting fired would have been more then justified. A lot of people wanted that. I don't have a number. Filling the arena has as much to do with the venue as it does with people liking Tim Miles.  I would say this site definitely supported Tims return. Red Sea Scrolls seemed much more in favor of letting him go. Lee B wanted him retained but that was before the end of the year disaster. I don't know if that changed his mind. 

7 minutes ago, imnothipp said:

The guy won 12 games in his 5th year. Him getting fired would have been more then justified. A lot of people wanted that. I don't have a number. Filling the arena has as much to do with the venue as it does with people liking Tim Miles.  I would say this site definitely supported Tims return. Red Sea Scrolls seemed much more in favor of letting him go. Lee B wanted him retained but that was before the end of the year disaster. I don't know if that changed his mind. 

Here's my take, FWIW.

Even w/o Ed Morrow, next year's roster is pretty good.  You have a 5-star PF coming in who will be eligible.  You have a guy in Jordy Tshimanga who many people are projecting as a break-out player in the league.  You have a top 100 shooting guard transfer who will be eligible.  You're going to have solid players in every position.  This looks like a competitive roster -- a group that could do some damage in the conference next year.

If too many players transfer, that obviously blows that scenario up, but if you fire the coach, you definitely blow that scenario up and you basically start over with a reclamation project for the next guy you bring in.

What's the harm to the program in waiting a year? 

If the coach stays and the roster returns pretty much intact (other than the guys already announced as leaving, for reasons most of us can understand) you have a chance to do something special.  If the coach is fired, you blow up the roster and next year, you're just hoping to finish ahead of Rutgers in conference.

If things don't pan out as hoped, you can always make the change after next year.  What's the rush?

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Here's my take, FWIW.

Even w/o Ed Morrow, next year's roster is pretty good.  You have a 5-star PF coming in who will be eligible.  You have a guy in Jordy Tshimanga who many people are projecting as a break-out player in the league.  You have a top 100 shooting guard transfer who will be eligible.  You're going to have solid players in every position.  This looks like a competitive roster -- a group that could do some damage in the conference next year.

If too many players transfer, that obviously blows that scenario up, but if you fire the coach, you definitely blow that scenario up and you basically start over with a reclamation project for the next guy you bring in.

What's the harm to the program in waiting a year? 

If the coach stays and the roster returns pretty much intact (other than the guys already announced as leaving, for reasons most of us can understand) you have a chance to do something special.  If the coach is fired, you blow up the roster and next year, you're just hoping to finish ahead of Rutgers in conference.

If things don't pan out as hoped, you can always make the change after next year.  What's the rush?

I can't really disagree with this, but my gut feeling is next year is a death march. 

What would it take for Miles to save his job? Anything short of dancing?

I still like next year's potential. But we definitely have some glaring holes to fill. And I think Miles is set up to fail. How do you expect him to get anyone to sign with us this spring when there is so much talk about him maybe getting fired or leaving (idk how much truth there is to any of it).

GATA, maybe it's a death march next year, but maybe the players rise to the occasion and win.

I think this is a roster that can do it.  Talking about youth last year wasn't an excuse; it was reality.  It won't be the reality next year.  Think about it.

We have a center with NBA potential; we have a 5-star PF who was 2-year starter at G'town before transferring here; we have a long kid who's an explosive athlete whose strengths are ball handling, driving and passing; we have a former top 100 recruit who started as a freshman at Miami who can light it up from deep; and we have a PG who will be a third-year starter.  We'll have Michael (hopefully) and Jack who aren't going to just sit there and let Isaac and Isaiah take their spots in the lineup.  And we'll have some decent guard depth, provided Anton Gill comes back from his injury.

I don't care what anybody says.  We were a good team last year, better than the final record -- a fact I think resulted from some untimely injuries and a grueling non-conference schedule.  I picked a win against Dayton when most people were saying we'd lose.  I picked a road win against Maryland prior to our win at Indiana.  We lost our mojo when Ed and Anton went down and we basically didn't get it back except for a last gasp against Purdue.  Too many disappointing, close losses to really good teams and then we got demoralized and laid an egg for the last 10 or so games of the season.

That doesn't have to happen next year.  We're not going to be playing quite the meat-grinder of a non-conference schedule.  I think we're going to hit the conference part of the schedule next year on a wave of positive momentum. 

But the team and staff have to hold together between now and then for that to have a chance to happen.

I love some of the individual pieces on next year's team.   I still struggle seeing it be a complete team.  I still struggle seeing our defense improve.  I still struggle with the trend that we are seeing guys who have been major factors leave.   I struggle seeing the team gel for the entire year.    I hope I'm wrong.  And I hope we don't lose anyone else.  But something tells me we are just delaying the inevitable here.

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

GATA, maybe it's a death march next year, but maybe the players rise to the occasion and win.

I think this is a roster that can do it.  Talking about youth last year wasn't an excuse; it was reality.  It won't be the reality next year.  Think about it.

We have a center with NBA potential; we have a 5-star PF who was 2-year starter at G'town before transferring here; we have a long kid who's an explosive athlete whose strengths are ball handling, driving and passing; we have a former top 100 recruit who started as a freshman at Miami who can light it up from deep; and we have a PG who will be a third-year starter.  We'll have Michael (hopefully) and Jack who aren't going to just sit there and let Isaac and Isaiah take their spots in the lineup.  And we'll have some decent guard depth, provided Anton Gill comes back from his injury.

I don't care what anybody says.  We were a good team last year, better than the final record -- a fact I think resulted from some untimely injuries and a grueling non-conference schedule.  I picked a win against Dayton when most people were saying we'd lose.  I picked a road win against Maryland prior to our win at Indiana.  We lost our mojo when Ed and Anton went down and we basically didn't get it back except for a last gasp against Purdue.  Too many disappointing, close losses to really good teams and then we got demoralized and laid an egg for the last 10 or so games of the season.

That doesn't have to happen next year.  We're not going to be playing quite the meat-grinder of a non-conference schedule.  I think we're going to hit the conference part of the schedule next year on a wave of positive momentum. 

But the team and staff have to hold together between now and then for that to have a chance to happen.

I love it!  I see it.  Problem is that some people on this board just do not want to see it.  

I pretty much agree with Norm.  This should be Miles' best roster talent and experience wise top to bottom.

One thing I am not crazy about with Miles is him enrolling in the Darin Erstad school of schedule making.  When you are trying to build a program, you should be using the Bill Snyder scheduling method to build confidence in your players, kind of like the Gophers this year.  He threw a young team into a wood chipper this year.  They fought admirably early on but just got wore down.  Andrew White would not have been enough to get us over 500 in my opinion.

Edited by busticket

7 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I love some of the individual pieces on next year's team.   I still struggle seeing it be a complete team.  I still struggle seeing our defense improve.  I still struggle with the trend that we are seeing guys who have been major factors leave.   I struggle seeing the team gel for the entire year.    I hope I'm wrong.  And I hope we don't lose anyone else.  But something tells me we are just delaying the inevitable here.

Three point defense.  When we struggled with it last year -- at least from my observations -- it was when we threw a double-team at the opposing post and couldn't recover to close out on the ball was kicked back out and reversed.  With Jordy coming back, I expect less need to double the post.  He's going to be able to do to his body what Ed and Michael did to theirs last year.  Jordy already has quick feet.  He's already a big kid with a lot of mass for an opposing player to try to push around.  By next season, I don't think it's any stretch at all to expect that Jordy is going to be bigger, stronger and more explosive. 

I don't think we'll have to double the post nearly as much next year and, if we don't, we won't have as many problems with 3-point defense.  JMOO.

5 minutes ago, busticket said:

I pretty much agree with Norm.  This should be Miles' best roster talent and experience wise top to bottom.

One thing I am not crazy about with Miles is him enrolling in the Darin Erstad school of schedule making.  When you are trying to build a program, you should be using the Bill Snyder scheduling method to build confidence in your players, kind of like the Gophers this year.  He threw a young team into a wood chipper this year.  They fought admirably early on but just got wore down.  Andrew White would not have been enough to get us over 500 in my opinion.

I disagree.  You put a 40% 3-point shooter on this team and if he just puts up the same stats for us that he did the year before for us or that he did this year for Syracuse, and this is a team that would have danced.  I really believe that.

The thing about Miles or any coach taking another job (if he were to take it)....it resets the clock for him...now he gets another 4 years of being a head coach....

If he stays at Nebraska...he is only guaranteed next year (he might get paid, but that doesn't mean he will be coaching.

Resetting the clock allows coach time to continue as a head coach as long as possible.

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

I disagree.  You put a 40% 3-point shooter on this team and if he just puts up the same stats for us that he did the year before for us or that he did this year for Syracuse, and this is a team that would have danced.  I really believe that.

Don't know if I can go to the dance standard yet...but I agree with you in that we are a different team with White and likely are a NIT team at worst.   Of course, that being said, you play the games with the players you have, not who you want to/think you will have.

1 minute ago, Blindcheck said:

The thing about Miles or any coach taking another job (if he were to take it)....it resets the clock for him...now he gets another 4 years of being a head coach....

If he stays at Nebraska...he is only guaranteed next year (he might get paid, but that doesn't mean he will be coaching.

Resetting the clock allows coach time to continue as a head coach as long as possible.

Yep.

Also have to think Miles has a pulse on the recruiting side of things and the existing players too.   If he's expecting another transfer or two or for us to miss on the bigger fish recruiting wise....even he may think the writing is on the wall.

Don't know if I can go to the dance standard yet...but I agree with you in that we are a different team with White and likely are a NIT team at worst.   Of course, that being said, you play the games with the players you have, not who you want to/think you will have.

Would Miles have scheduled up had he known that white was going to leave?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Would Miles have scheduled up had he known that white was going to leave?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My guess is he probably would've delayed the KU series a year.   The other games....were mandatory or scheduled long in advance