New Mexico a landing spot for Miles?

GATA

20 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Washut just tweeted an article saying UNM has reached out to Miles. First legitimate contact that I've seen. 

It doesn't appear that he's their first choice but I don't understand why some would be shocked if he left for New Mexico?  Sure, it's a downgrade in terms on conference and pay but it's a good job.  And, I'm sure he knows he's on thin ice here going into next year. 

12 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

It doesn't appear that he's their first choice but I don't understand why some would be shocked if he left for New Mexico?  Sure, it's a downgrade in terms on conference and pay but it's a good job.  And, I'm sure he knows he's on thin ice here going into next year. 

I agree.  My memory may be fuzzy, but isn't that what Alford did when going from Iowa to UNM?  And he was able to parlay success at UNM into a top-tier gig at UCLA.  It's also similar to McDermott leaving ISU for creighton a year before he would've got the boot, and now he's also back in a decent conference.  Voluntarily dropping down to a lower-level conference doesn't have to be a career-killer. 

1 minute ago, imnothipp said:

Just cause was probably a poor choice of words. I guess what I am trying to say, is if Miles shows genuine interest in the job and does not get it, do you want him coaching NU next year? I would not. 

Do you realize how many coaches show genuine interest in different jobs every year and don't get them? 

3 minutes ago, imnothipp said:

Just cause was probably a poor choice of words. I guess what I am trying to say, is if Miles shows genuine interest in the job and does not get it, do you want him coaching NU next year? I would not. 

Thats a better question, but I want a coach who is being actively pursued by other teams.  That means they want what we have. That's good to me.

2 minutes ago, imnothipp said:

Some people don't want him coaching here next year regardless.  So, you wouldn't be unique in that regard.  You'd just have a slightly different reason.

Big difference is that everyone else who doesn't want him coaching here next year really hope he not only shows genuine interest in the UNM job, but actually gets it.

Coach Miles has every right to show interest in this job, it's a school with recent success and in a conference he's been successful in. I wouldn't hold it against him if he interviewed. He also has every right to get year 6 here at Nebraska and prove his worth. Whatever happens, i hope it's definite soon. Kinda a huge time for recruiting. 

17 minutes ago, imnothipp said:

I think that moving on from Miles would've been the best decision, especially now in light of the transfers after the season. 

Him expressing interest in the NM job is the last reason why I wouldn't want him coaching here next year.   He's just looking for an out.   I just hope it happens soon so we can try to recover from it yet this cycle.

15 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Thats a better question, but I want a coach who is being actively pursued by other teams.  That means they want what we have. That's good to me.

I think your point stands because it appears that New Mexico reached out to Miles. That is certainly no fault of Miles and a compliment that he is still hightly rgearded by others who do the hiring. 

3 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Coach Miles has every right to show interest in this job, it's a school with recent success and in a conference he's been successful in. I wouldn't hold it against him if he interviewed. He also has every right to get year 6 here at Nebraska and prove his worth. Whatever happens, i hope it's definite soon. Kinda a huge time for recruiting. 

If see what you are saying. But if you are Eichorst would you be so understanding? Eichorst made a decision that was not too popular to retain you. You turn around and start interviewing for other jobs? Not sure how Eichorst will respond. 

3 minutes ago, imnothipp said:

If see what you are saying. But if you are Eichorst would you be so understanding? Eichorst made a decision that was not too popular to retain you. You turn around and start interviewing for other jobs? Not sure how Eichorst will respond. 

It is all part of the game.  Usually the AD will ask permission from the other AD to talk to a coach under contract.  I wonder if that has happened here.