New Mexico a landing spot for Miles?

GATA

6 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

The only way Miles is going anywhere is if he gets canned. He's not just going to pick up and go to New Mexico (New Mexico? for Christs sakes) and Crean AINT comin to Nebraska, no way, no how. It all strikes me as "fake newsish" or the wild rantings of a "D" list scribe. 

I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!

The only way Miles is going anywhere is if he gets canned. He's not just going to pick up and go to New Mexico (New Mexico? for Christs sakes) and Crean AINT comin to Nebraska, no way, no how. It all strikes me as "fake newsish" or the wild rantings of a "D" list scribe. 

Why wouldn't miles go to New Mexico and get a fresh start. If he thinks he is going to get fired next year than it's a no brainer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Why wouldn't miles go to New Mexico and get a fresh start. If he thinks he is going to get fired next year than it's a no brainer

I don't believe Tim is operating under the assumption that he is going to get fired, either next week or next year.

6 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Agree. I think this is the only way Miles is not Nebraska's coach next year, he will not be fired. New Mexico is a good job too - top 25 in attendance, easier conf to win in and they were a #3 seed in the 2010 tournament. 

Edited by The Polish Rifle

I don't believe Tim is operating under the assumption that he is going to get fired, either next week or next year.

So he hasn't got an extension 2 straight years and legacy recruits are leaving his program and you don't think he is thinking about his future or whether or not he will have a job here in long term. I mean ya sure everyone wants to be confident that they can turn it around and be able to get a long extension but man it's gonna be tough.

47 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

It's certainly not the best possible outcome for me. I'm not getting any younger. Starting over with a new coach doesn't guarantee success and puts the timetable for when we can expect that new coach to succeed that many more years down the road. 

I am led to understand that no further transfers are anticipated. That would obviously change if there is a coaching change here. If there is no coaching change and if there are no further transfers, which is what I understand the case to be, then I think this is a tournament team that we will have next year. 

It would have been better with Ed Morrow, but I still think it is a tournament team even without him. If that turns out not to be the case, and we don't make the dance, then Miles will almost certainly be gone. But I'd like to have an opportunity to see what this team would do with the pieces we will have next year.

Norm, my only "inside information" comes from this board (which tells you what it's worth)... but it seems like more than a few people think there could be more attrition (obviously the fire-Miles-now crowd thinks this, but I've seen some more level-headed posters say the same).  

So I have two questions... 1. Why are you led to understand there will be no more transfers? (That would be welcome news, if it were the case); and 2. If there were more transfers (say Watson was one of them), would you change your mind?

I think I'm decidedly on the fence... I'm not a fan of starting over, but there are numerous reasons why my confidence in Miles is waning. I'm all for one more year (assuming we keep and add to the rest of our current roster), but would need to see a GOOD year next year. 

FWIW... I was one of "those" people who fought for Doc, (to a lesser extent) Collier, and Nee to the bitter end... I'm typically a "support who's here" kind of guy. 

Edited by nebrasketball10

12 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

So he hasn't got an extension 2 straight years and legacy recruits are leaving his program and you don't think he is thinking about his future or whether or not he will have a job here in long term. I mean ya sure everyone wants to be confident that they can turn it around and be able to get a long extension but man it's gonna be tough.

I dont disagree with your general premise (he might see New Mexico as a "chance out"), but I don't think Eichorst has commented on whether Miles will be extended this year or not, and we've had one legacy recruit transfer out. 

There's already a blueprint of this exact situation at New Mexico under the same leadership. Steve Alford resigned at Iowa, turned New Mexico into a contender, and parlayed it into one of the highest profile jobs in the country.

It's not hard to figure out why Miles would be intrigued by this opportunity.

57 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

It's certainly not the best possible outcome for me. I'm not getting any younger. Starting over with a new coach doesn't guarantee success and puts the timetable for when we can expect that new coach to succeed that many more years down the road. 

I am led to understand that no further transfers are anticipated. That would obviously change if there is a coaching change here. If there is no coaching change and if there are no further transfers, which is what I understand the case to be, then I think this is a tournament team that we will have next year. 

It would have been better with Ed Morrow, but I still think it is a tournament team even without him. If that turns out not to be the case, and we don't make the dance, then Miles will almost certainly be gone. But I'd like to have an opportunity to see what this team would do with the pieces we will have next year.

Wont disagree that a change restarts the cycle of rebuilding

the difference between us is you still have hope for next year where as I see it as a foregone conclusion and only delaying that cycle 

I hope there are no more transfers.  Of course, that was said last year in the spring and this year after Horne too.    

Edited by nustudent

45 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I have been hearing that 2 more players are looking at transferring. Also think this New Mexico job is a real possibility for miles...

If the two players that are thinking about transferring actually pull the trigger it would be very hard for Eichorst to keep Miles.

I'm confused how the "fire Miles now camp" aren't viewed as the level-headed ones.  I'd say a more realistic way of looking at it is the "keep Miles camp" are living with false hope while we watch the program crumble before our eyes.  I appreciate the great run in Miles' second season.  I also appreciate the great strides the staff has taken to improve the talent-level on the roster.  But at this rate, keeping Miles around for another year appears to only be handicapping his eventual replacement.  I for one would prefer to turn the reigns over to a new coach while there's still some talent for the new guy to work with.

22 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I'm confused how the "fire Miles now camp" aren't viewed as the level-headed ones.  I'd say a more realistic way of looking at it is the "keep Miles camp" are living with false hope while we watch the program crumble before our eyes.  I appreciate the great run in Miles' second season.  I also appreciate the great strides the staff has taken to improve the talent-level on the roster.  But at this rate, keeping Miles around for another year appears to only be handicapping his eventual replacement.  I for one would prefer to turn the reigns over to a new coach while there's still some talent for the new guy to work with.

Ya - I failed to phrase that properly. I did not mean to say that everyone in the fire-Miles-now camp isn't level headed. There are extremists and pragmatists in both camps. 

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm afraid I can't be more specific.  I wish I could.  But it isn't a guess on my part or a gut feeling.  If Glynn left, it would be a big effin deal.  But I'm not going to worry about it unless it actually happens.

To show how big an effin deal it would be here's Glynn's stats from last year - for the 9-6 start, for the 3-13 finish, in all the wins, in all the losses, in the 7 biggest wins (conference wins + Dayton), in the 7 worst losses by point total.

mpg ppg rpg apg spg bpg topg fg% 3p% ft%
All Games 31.6 13.0 3.0 2.6 1.6 0.1 1.5 41.7% 39.7% 81.0%
First 15 Games 31.6 15.2 3.1 2.9 2.3 0.1 1.9 44.9% 46.4% 84.0%
Last 16 Games 31.6 11.0 2.9 2.4 1.0 0.1 1.3 38.3% 33.8% 76.5%
All 12 Wins 30.2 16.0 3.1 2.9 2.2 0.1 1.5 47.4% 57.1% 85.7%
All 19 Losses 32.5 11.2 2.9 2.4 1.3 0.2 1.6 38.2% 30.4% 74.3%
7 Best Wins 32.1 19.7 3.6 3.0 2.7 0.0 1.4 47.3% 67.7% 83.8%
7 Losses > 12 points 30.9 6.4 2.9 2.1 1.4 0.1 2.0 26.6% 24.0% 100.0%

Yes, we won games where he had 2 (La Tech) and lost games where he had 20+ (UCLA, Michigan), but - to beat somebody good or just be competitive with them, he had to be on fire; if he was having an off night against somebody good, there was no chance.

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I've thought this before, too.  A couple more five year plans and a lot of us will be too dead to care.

4 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Steve Alford went there.  They have a lot of tradition that we don't.