Crying time is over

Huskerpapa

"Oh it's Cryin Time again you're gonna leave me,  

I can see that far away look in your eyes,

I can tell by the way you hold me darlin,

that it won't be long before it's Cryin time"

Maybe Buck Owens had a premonition about our basketball situation way back in the 1960's!  

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/nebraska-sophomore-forward-michael-jacobson-becomes-fourth-husker-to-transfer/article_c70ab844-1e39-11e7-ac04-7f1d9ba80501.html

When talking with players and their parents about transferring, Miles said, he hears three common themes.

“Am I going to play? What position am I going to play? And how am I going to be featured?” he said. “It’s hard to make that happen for every player. And what you see as their best position for the team may not be in the big picture for them.

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

“Am I going to play? What position am I going to play? And how am I going to be featured?” he said. “It’s hard to make that happen for every player. And what you see as their best position for the team may not be in the big picture for them.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head. It's not all that complicated.

6 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/nebraska-sophomore-forward-michael-jacobson-becomes-fourth-husker-to-transfer/article_c70ab844-1e39-11e7-ac04-7f1d9ba80501.html

When talking with players and their parents about transferring, Miles said, he hears three common themes.

The fact that all four played essentially played the same position at 4  (too slow to play 3, not wanting to play 5) raised these questions. The bigger question is why Miles kept recruiting guys to play the same spot when he had holes at point and (earlier) at 5. I mean it was season 5 before we had a center and I'd argue Glynn is a terrific combo guard but we still don't have a true point guard as we head into season 6 of the Miles era.

That to me is the problem here. As much as people like to speculate about personality issues, I think it was, and has been, a problem of Miles not building a functional roster in 5 years. And that, to me, is the reason we didn't jell at the end of the season as we all expected. So now that 4 guys have left, I guess we're not overstocked at the 4 any more. :blink:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/miles-disappointed-in-jacobson-transfer-doesn-t-foresee-other-departures/article_4f25f1a5-823b-5039-bace-621b9afbfb1a.html

"We constantly evaluate. And if I thought that we were running guys off, or that our behavior as coaches or our interactions were untenable or demeaning, I think we would know that," Miles said. "Shawn (Eichorst, NU athletic director) is around all the time. Marc (Boehm, executive associate athletic director) is around all the time. Our young people are valued, and they have a voice.

"We have, I think, enough interaction where we usually know where guys are emotionally. So it's not always a huge surprise when guys transfer. That doesn't mean I'm not disappointed about it. I want everybody to stay. But that's the way it goes. That's the landscape (in college basketball)."

- The source also said Jacobson is considering Iowa State as a possible destination.

- Nebraska now has four open scholarships for the 2017-18 season.

- The spring signing period begins Wednesday and runs through May 17.

- "Specifically I want to add an outside shooter, and certainly we'll have to add a big," Miles said.

- With the defections and the graduation of Tai Webster, Nebraska has lost its top three rebounders and three of its top five scorers from the 2016-17 season.

21 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/miles-disappointed-in-jacobson-transfer-doesn-t-foresee-other-departures/article_4f25f1a5-823b-5039-bace-621b9afbfb1a.html

"We constantly evaluate. And if I thought that we were running guys off, or that our behavior as coaches or our interactions were untenable or demeaning, I think we would know that," Miles said. "Shawn (Eichorst, NU athletic director) is around all the time. Marc (Boehm, executive associate athletic director) is around all the time. Our young people are valued, and they have a voice.

"We have, I think, enough interaction where we usually know where guys are emotionally. So it's not always a huge surprise when guys transfer. That doesn't mean I'm not disappointed about it. I want everybody to stay. But that's the way it goes. That's the landscape (in college basketball)."

- The source also said Jacobson is considering Iowa State as a possible destination.

- "Specifically I want to add an outside shooter, and certainly we'll have to add a big," Miles said.

- With the defections and the graduation of Tai Webster, Nebraska has lost its top three rebounders and three of its top five scorers from the 2016-17 season.

19-same-page.gif

Edited by colhusker

8 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

"Oh it's Cryin Time again you're gonna leave me,  

I can see that far away look in your eyes,

I can tell by the way you hold me darlin,

that it won't be long before it's Cryin time"

Maybe Buck Owens had a premonition about our basketball situation way back in the 1960's!  

was thinking about that song. good catch Cazzie!

Edited by Silverbacked1

57 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

The fact that all four played essentially played the same position at 4  (too slow to play 3, not wanting to play 5) raised these questions. The bigger question is why Miles kept recruiting guys to play the same spot when he had holes at point and (earlier) at 5. I mean it was season 5 before we had a center and I'd argue Glynn is a terrific combo guard but we still don't have a true point guard as we head into season 6 of the Miles era.

That to me is the problem here. As much as people like to speculate about personality issues, I think it was, and has been, a problem of Miles not building a functional roster in 5 years. And that, to me, is the reason we didn't jell at the end of the season as we all expected. So now that 4 guys have left, I guess we're not overstocked at the 4 any more. :blink:

If you are Duke or NC, you get to pick and choose your recruits as you describe above.  So let's say Miles or any other NU coach that has been here decided to put a premium on recruiting a pure 5, pure 4, pure 3, etc. without regard to talent level.  Would we have a better roster?  I don't think it's a case where Miles' staff intentionally tried to overload a position or a niche.  He just tried to get the best available athletes who also happened to want to be here (or at least we thought).

Edited by HuskerCager

11 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

If you are Duke or NC, you get to pick and choose your recruits as you describe above.  So let's say Miles or any other NU coach that has been here decided to put a premium on recruiting a pure 5, pure 4, pure 3, etc. without regard to talent level.  Would we have a better roster?  I don't think it's a case where Miles' staff intentionally tried to overload a position or a niche.  He just tried to get the best available athletes who also happened to want to be here (or at least we thought).

I don't disagree with that. But at some point, he needed to take a look at the big picture: A lot of guys playing the same position, with no shooters, no backup guard and one guy who wants to play center. 

11 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Or Michael to not shoot threes... like he wanted to.

Please stop saying this every time about MJ because someone on here posted it once; if it's on his list of grievances at all it's down the list.  

We absolutely want MJ shooting 3s as a stretch 4 and if he was making them at the start of next season he'd have the green light.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

I hope he is planning on adding more than 2 players....

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

I posted the video with lyrics back on page 3 of this thread.  But it was the Ray Charles version.

Remember Norm I am not a smart man.  

I can only look for one artest sing a song at a time.  And that artest was Buck Owens.  Damn it, Norm I am only HUMAN!!;)