Crying time is over

Huskerpapa

4 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Don't some of the best teams churn through guys too though?

I get what you're saying though because it is troubling if you lose guys who are starters. I also get we don't have the talent level on this team where big replacement is better than stability.

At the end of the day, who will be the replacements?  I can handle losing guys if we're getting guys back at the same or higher level.

Your last paragraph is absolutely correct and trumps anything I'll say...

But it doesn't seem like the "good teams" have starters or really high-value players leaving. It seems like the players they have leaving are easily replaced by players on their rosters. Obviously I have no facts to back this. 

1 minute ago, nebrasketball10 said:

Your last paragraph is absolutely correct and trumps anything I'll say...

But it doesn't seem like the "good teams" have starters or really high-value players leaving. It seems like the players they have leaving are easily replaced by players on their rosters. Obviously I have no facts to back this. 

You hit the nail on the head, "good teams" have depth to fill holes that arise or can fill it recruiting.  We just have not got to the point we have that kind of depth.  I think had Morrow and whomever else goes at this point had stayed we would have started to have that kind of depth.  Another reason losing guys of this caliber hurts us more.

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

They do.   But most don't lose like we lose.  

And it's safe to say we were going to struggle to fill Horne and Fuller's spots with quality players.   It's very easy to say that we are going to have a near impossible time breaking even at this point in replacing Jacobson and Morrow.

Teams that lose like we lose also lose guys though.

The point to Miles is that he recruit so hopefully he can do that. You're probably right...we probably won't replace them with similar talent. Hopefully we can at least get guys who fit in to complement the talent that we have. 

On the bright side we don't have to worry about a future coach being saddled with unwanted players because they'll all just peace out anyway, right?

Morrow didn't worry me as much as losing Jacobson would.  Ed brought toughness to the front court, but not a lot else, frankly.

I felt like we could survive that hit and still be OK as long as the rest of the squad returned intact.  That, apparently, is not going to happen.

So, now we have to hope for a juco kid or an immediately-eligible graduate transfer like the big man from Michigan.

I think our starting 5 will still be really good and all hope is not yet lost.  But now the pressure is on to pull a rabbit out of the hat and find another couple of contributors for this season.

Ok, I am beginning to believe this rumor now. But what is the point on waiting until Monday or Tuesday to make it official? Is MJ still pondering, or does he enjoy filling up message boards or what? And why haven't the local media chimed in yet? I would think the Omaha guys would be all over this one.

46 minutes ago, nebrasketball10 said:

I agree with what you're saying, Norm - each transfer should be looked at on an individual basis. But we also need to consider the aggregate sum. 

We can probably explain away each individual transfer situation in a way that absolves the program of blame (or at least puts the majority of the blame on the player). 

But the frequency of high-value players transferring isn't acceptable or sustainable. And when the problem is chronic, isn't the leader is ultimately accountable?

Thank God I don't manage/lead 18-year-olds... and I feel for Miles and all coaches that have to deal with the egos... but that's kind of the nature of the beast. 

I think there's a lot of myth involved in this thought process.  Not specifically from you, nebrasketball10, but I keep on reading from various people how our best player transfers away every year.  That simply isn't true.

This year, we lose 4 guys prematurely.  Not one of them was our best player.  Two major contributors, though, and double figure starters, both.  That's a big deal.  But all of them are leaving for reasons that don't necessarily point fingers of blame at the coaches, if what we're hearing is correct.  Ed, for example, is not a wing.  Wanting to be a wing won't make him a wing.  And transferring to another school isn't going to make him a wing, either.  How's that on coach?  Michael wants to shoot the 3-ball.  He was 4 of 23 this year and two of his makes came against South Dakota.  So, outside of the So Dak game, he made 2 treys all year long.  WTF?  Can't talk sense into some people, apparently.

Last year it was Andrew White.  He was hoping to burnish NBA credentials but the switch didn't really help him at all.  Could have done here what he ended up doing at Syracuse. He was being led astray by people with their own agendas.  Oh well.  Again, not on coach.

Year before that, Terran Petteway turned pro.  Everybody gets that.  Walter Pitchford quit.  If you read his tweets, you know he was a little self-absorbed and liked to throw pitty parties with himself as the only guest.  Tarrin Smith quit.  Daddy issue there.  But who came back?  Shavon Shields and Benny Parker stuck it out all 4 years.

The year before that, the only ones I can think of off the top of my head were Sergej Vucetic and Nathan Hawkins.  Not losses at all.  And the Omaha kid was kicked off the team mid-season.

The year before that, I don't think there was anyone.

That is NOT the same thing as "losing our best players every year" which is what many of the people who echo the kinds of thoughts quoted above continue to contend.

I just don't think it's true.

45 minutes ago, 49r said:

LOL, There really is No Place Like Nebraska.  We even lose more, and in more spectacular fashion than most.

@nustudent has got to be the most "you're okay, I'm not okay" person in Nebraska.

I know right.   I mean...I'm way off base.  5 losing seasons in the last 6.   1 tournament appearance in the last 20 years.   Only P5 team never to win a tourney game.   It's almost like I'm making it up.  And if  this is true...it's the 3rd starter in 8 months to transfer out.  

Edited by nustudent

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

I know right.   I mean...I'm way off base.  5 losing seasons in the last 6.   1 tournament appearance in the last 20 years.   Only P5 team never to win a tourney game.   It's almost like I'm making it up.  And if  this is true...it's the 3rd starter in 8 months to transfer out.  

And we want to fire the one guy who got us there in the last 20 years.  :huh:

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think there's a lot of myth involved in this thought process.  Not specifically from you, nebrasketball10, but I keep on reading from various people how our best player transfers away every year.  That simply isn't true.

This year, we lose 4 guys prematurely.  Not one of them was our best player.  Two major contributors, though, and double figure starters, both.  That's a big deal.  But all of them are leaving for reasons that don't necessarily point fingers of blame at the coaches, if what we're hearing is correct.  Ed, for example, is not a wing.  Wanting to be a wing won't make him a wing.  And transferring to another school isn't going to make him a wing, either.  How's that on coach?  Michael wants to shoot the 3-ball.  He was 4 of 23 this year and two of his makes came against South Dakota.  So, outside of the So Dak game, he made 2 treys all year long.  WTF?  Can't talk sense into some people, apparently.

Last year it was Andrew White.  He was hoping to burnish NBA credentials but the switch didn't really help him at all.  Could have done here what he ended up doing at Syracuse. He was being led astray by people with their own agendas.  Oh well.  Again, not on coach.

Year before that, Terran Petteway turned pro.  Everybody gets that.  Walter Pitchford quit.  If you read his tweets, you know he was a little self-absorbed and liked to throw pitty parties with himself as the only guest.  Tarrin Smith quit.  Daddy issue there.  But who came back?  Shavon Shields and Benny Parker stuck it out all 4 years.

The year before that, the only ones I can think of off the top of my head were Sergej Vucetic and Nathan Hawkins.  Not losses at all.  And the Omaha kid was kicked off the team mid-season.

The year before that, I don't think there was anyone.

That is NOT the same thing as "losing our best players every year" which is what many of the people who echo the kinds of thoughts quoted above continue to contend.

I just don't think it's true.

I don't think we're continuously losing our best players... just high-value players. I agree some have overstated that we are continuously losing our best player(s). 

And I agree you can explain each one individually, but the aggregate isn't acceptable. Fair or not, the coach is ultimately responsible for it. 

Also, when explaining each one individually, there might be more to the story than MJ wanted to shoot 3's and we wouldn't let him... Morrow wanted to be a wing, and we couldn't give him the opportunity... etc. Again, if it was a single case and not a chronic problem, I wouldn't think anything of it. 

I've been Team Tim Miles since the day he was hired. But at what point do we stop blaming the kids and maybe consider that something is seriously wrong within our program. Both Ed and MJ are two of the last players I would've expected (along with Glynn) to transfer. 

If the MJ rumors are true I'm gonna be a lot less skeptical of the kids and have to take a hard look and Tim and Co.

Just now, khoock said:

I've been Team Tim Miles since the day he was hired. But at what point do we stop blaming the kids and maybe consider that something is seriously wrong within our program. Both Ed and MJ are two of the last players I would've expected (along with Glynn) to transfer. 

If the MJ rumors are true I'm gonna be a lot less skeptical of the kids and have to take a hard look and Tim and Co.

Bingo

Xavier, huh?

This is interesting because, did you know, Jacobson only had one Power 5 offer for hoops coming out of HS? 

Besides us, I think he had offers from places like Northern Iowa and Drake.  Iowa State apparently offered for football, but their football program has been about as successful over the years as our basketball program.

Yeah, anyway, Miles saw something and gave the kid a chance. 

And then played him as a freshman.  A lot.  Like 623 minutes on a 34 game season.  That's more than most freshmen get.

He's probably not getting noticed by a program like Xavier if he's not getting a ton of minutes as a freshman and sophomore on a Power 5 conference team.

He should probably thank Tim Miles for this opportunity.

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

Xavier, huh?

This is interesting because, did you know, Jacobson only had one Power 5 offer for hoops coming out of HS? 

Besides us, I think he had offers from places like Northern Iowa and Drake.  Iowa State apparently offered for football, but their football program has been about as successful over the years as our basketball program.

Yeah, anyway, Miles saw something and gave the kid a chance. 

And then played him as a freshman.  A lot.  Like 623 minutes on a 34 game season.  That's more than most freshmen get.

He's probably not getting noticed by a program like Xavier if he's not getting a ton of minutes as a freshman and sophomore on a Power 5 conference team.

He should probably thank Tim Miles for this opportunity.

Xavier is for Morrow, more specifically

5 hours ago, khoock said:

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. To comment on millennial issues and transfer epidemics across our land isn't saying Miles is  blameworthy or has done a great job.  And having a strong desire to see him gone would't require kids and parents to be blameless.  Everything doesn't have to be about taking sides.  

Edited by HB