Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Now, I don't profess to know a ton about Marquette basketball, but I question how well Ed scouted out his options before choosing them as his transfer destination.

 

This year, when Ed will be eligible as a junior, Marquette returns 7 of its top 8 players.  These include the following players potentially competing against him for minutes:

 

Jr Sam Hauser, G/F, 6'8", 220 (returning starter)

Jr Sacar Anim, G/F, 6'5", 210 (returning starter)

Sr Matt Heldt, C, 6'10", 240 (22 min/game)

So Jamal Cain, F, 6'7", 195 (17 min/game)

So Theo John, PF, 6'9", 240 (49 min, 18 pts, 13 bds as a true frosh in 3 NIT games to end the season)

(plus two guards who combined to average nearly 60 minutes and 26 points/game on the season)

 

In addition, besides Ed, they add the following:

 

RFr Joey Hauser, 4-star PF, 6'9", 230

RFr Ike Eke, 3-star PF, 6'9", 220

Fr Brendan Bailey, 4-star (Rivals #54) G/F, 6'8", 190

 

So, if Ed sees himself as more of a big (PF/C), he has plenty of competition; if he sees himself as a wing, he has even more competition.

 

If he wants to start, I don't see it happening.  Not at Marquette.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, it's like he transferred into exactly the same situation he wanted to get away from. Marquette plays soft, so he'll bring toughness to the table, but both Hausers are really good and he won't start ahead of either. A head scratcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Now, I don't profess to know a ton about Marquette basketball, but I question how well Ed scouted out his options before choosing them as his transfer destination.

 

This year, when Ed will be eligible as a junior, Marquette returns 7 of its top 8 players.  These include the following players potentially competing against him for minutes:

 

Jr Sam Hauser, G/F, 6'8", 220 (returning starter)

Jr Sacar Anim, G/F, 6'5", 210 (returning starter)

Sr Matt Heldt, C, 6'10", 240 (22 min/game)

So Jamal Cain, F, 6'7", 195 (17 min/game)

So Theo John, PF, 6'9", 240 (49 min, 18 pts, 13 bds as a true frosh in 3 NIT games to end the season)

(plus two guards who combined to average nearly 60 minutes and 26 points/game on the season)

 

In addition, besides Ed, they add the following:

 

RFr Joey Hauser, 4-star PF, 6'9", 230

RFr Ike Eke, 3-star PF, 6'9", 220

Fr Brendan Bailey, 4-star (Rivals #54) G/F, 6'8", 190

 

So, if Ed sees himself as more of a big (PF/C), he has plenty of competition; if he sees himself as a wing, he has even more competition.

 

If he wants to start, I don't see it happening.  Not at Marquette.

Hmmm...maybe point guard?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it will also be interesting what Ed did with his year without playing...Did he find a Jump shot?  Nobody redshirts (almost nobody) unless they transfer and what you do during that year off can pay off big time if a player develops a weakness into a skill.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hal9000 said:

Hmmm...maybe point guard?  

 

19 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

it will also be interesting what Ed did with his year without playing...Did he find a Jump shot?  Nobody redshirts (almost nobody) unless they transfer and what you do during that year off can pay off big time if a player develops a weakness into a skill.

 

He'd need a 2nd redshirt year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marquette folks seem to see Ed as starting at the 4 position next year: one even calls him a “prototype Big East 4.”

My perception is that Ed has, throughout his career, always played the 5–and he is often a dominating force there.

The problem for Ed, that I’ve observed, is a lack of hand quickness and agility—something that’s hard to remedy and is a problem at the 4.  Ball-handling deficiencies are hard to overcome outside the 5.

But . . . he’ll probably prove me wrong.

Edited by Swan88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, can't even imagine how much better we'd be with Morrow...assuming he stayed healthy which is a BIG "if".

 

A big time piece we missed last year and most likely will miss again baring some unforeseen addition.  Some of those games his sophomore year before his foot went bad again were incredible.  I recall him just willing us to victory in @Indiana and looking like an absolute stud in November/December.  He really looked like a potential all-conference type player at his best, and at his worst was still a solid starter.

 

He had his holes for sure, but was trending up.  Both he and MJ will assuredly be much improved after a year off to develop their games.  

 

I don't have any regrets with MJ leaving...not a high ceiling player who really didn't do much of anything all that well.  Seemed to just be a starter by default.  And no matter what Boyd's testing system said, he was a sub-par game athlete who literally was what, 25% on converting dunks in his career? 

 

Ed on the other hand - man what could have been...IF healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, LK1 said:

He should've been a 4 the entire time he was here, and he would've been a great one.

If this were accurate, he’d have played the 4 here.

But he didn’t.  And he wasn’t going to.  And the coaches weren’t just being stubborn.  

But time and a new opportunity will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why should he have been a four? i may not know what im talking about, but I never saw ed flash any legit offensive skills. He had an average face up game, to me that was it. Obviously his contributions on defense were a lot more evident. But when someone is so raw offensively, it only makes sense you want to hide them under the basket. Ed's problem is that he's closer to a small forward than a center in terms of size - even for the modern college game. He reminds me of Cliff Alexander of KU from a few years ago. Very strong, athletic big man who is giving up 2-3+ inches at the position that most matches their skillset.

 

I will be interested to see his game at Marquette.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were literally the worst rebounding team in the league the second MJ and Ed transferred.  I will never understand how so many fans continue to say they weren't missed. 

 

Rebounding Margin G Team Avg. Opponent Avg. Margin
1. Michigan State 35 1439 41.1 1063 30.4 +10.7
2. Iowa 33 1258 38.1 1092 33.1 +5.0
3. Ohio State 34 1244 36.6 1079 31.7 +4.9
4. Maryland 32 1149 35.9 994 31.1 +4.8
5. Rutgers 34 1316 38.7 1221 35.9 +2.8
6. Purdue 37 1295 35.0 1200 32.4 +2.6
7. Penn State 39 1386 35.5 1286 33.0 +2.6
8. Indiana 31 1099 35.5 1054 34.0 +1.5
9. Northwestern 32 1059 33.1 1042 32.6 +0.5
10. Michigan 41 1365 33.3 1354 33.0 +0.3
11. Minnesota 32 1221 38.2 1222 38.2 -0.0
12. Illinois 32 1053 32.9 1063 33.2 -0.3
13. Wisconsin 33 1008 30.5 1023 31.0 -0.5
14. Nebraska 33 1191 36.1 1257 38.1 -2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bleujay said:

why should he have been a four? i may not know what im talking about, but I never saw ed flash any legit offensive skills. He had an average face up game, to me that was it. Obviously his contributions on defense were a lot more evident. But when someone is so raw offensively, it only makes sense you want to hide them under the basket. Ed's problem is that he's closer to a small forward than a center in terms of size - even for the modern college game. He reminds me of Cliff Alexander of KU from a few years ago. Very strong, athletic big man who is giving up 2-3+ inches at the position that most matches their skillset.

 

I will be interested to see his game at Marquette.

Well it depends on match-ups since you are who you guard.  Against a big bruising lineup he's a 4, and can create mismatches with his athleticism and strong pick-and-roll game.  Against a small ball lineup he's clearly a rim-protecting/rebounding 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×