Morrow leaving

I really liked Ed's effort on the boards, something we have not had a lot of over the years but going forward I was concerned that his foot injury would be constant and he would never be the player we hoped for.  I really wonder where he will end up and if it is true he wants to play the wing I don't see a coach in the nation that will watch film of him and say I want that guy to by my 3 man.  Hope it works out for him, but I don't see a program, big or small that will have him play outside.

Manning the 5 didn't seem to inhibit Pitchford from playing on the perimeter on offense. Just saying.

if Ed wants to improve those skills the redshirt year is more important than where he goes. He is so far behind the curve though that it would take an incredible amount of effort. I hope it works out for him, and appreciate what he did here.

If Ed had Horne's perimeter skills he'd be a first rounder. If Horne had Ed's perimeter skills he'd be an NAIA player.

1 hour ago, big red22 said:

If Morrow isn't the last, Miles needs to be let go ASAP.  If it is Glynn Watson you are talking about, he needs to have his contract burned.  Morrow and Watson are (were) the Face of Nebraska basketball and losing Morrow means all what I was defending Miles for is out the window!

Who knows what all the cause and effect things are going on.   But there is dismal leadership out of Eichorst and Boehm.  Eichorst makes no public statements due to his "policy" of not talking during the season (a policy which he selectively follows), while there is a lot of drama, pressure, and season-ending implosion.   Then, he sends out one concise tweet saying the coach will be back.   Then he says he won't make any public statements for 3 weeks, until after the final 4.  Nothing about a contract extension, active or demonstrated support, why he made the decision, reasons for  optimism in the program; nothing.

So we have tepid support at best, and with no comment on Miles' contract, the feeling that Miles will be one and done with Eichorst (similar to how he retained Bo for one more year; if anyone believed he really supported Bo as a long-term coach at that time contact me for some oceanfront property in the Salt Valley) is pervasive, and rats might want to leave the sinking ship.  Despite extremely active recruiting, we get no commitments.  Not making excuses but I can't imagine that bizarre way of functioning out of the AD's office hasn't hurt.   I have no idea whether any of this caused Ed to transfer, or Glynn to get shopped by his AAU coach per rumors, and if assistants are polishing off their resumes.  But Rome has been burning for at least 2 months and all we have is a 3 line tweet from the leader.

Now I suppose SE can claim that things have changed since the tweet and he has to make a move.  Gets more clout and public support for the move than he would have had at season end.    But his weirdness could have caused some of the doom and gloom and further swirling down the drain. Hard to understand this guy.  But to me he needed to either make a change (which I would have been fine with), or understand that you have to provide a lot more support than some months old statements and a tweet, which most people don't believe anyway.   

Edited by HB

5 minutes ago, HB said:

Who knows what all the cause and effect things are going on.   But there is dismal leadership out of Eichorst and Boehm.  Eichorst makes no public statements due to his "policy" of not talking during the season (a policy which he selectively follows), while there is a lot of drama, pressure, and season-ending implosion.   Then, he sends out one concise tweet saying the coach will be back.   Then he says he won't make any public statements for 3 weeks, until after the final 4.  Nothing about a contract extension, active or demonstrated support, why he made the decision, reasons for  optimism in the program; nothing.

So we have tepid support at best, and with no comment on Miles' contract, the feeling that Miles will be one and done with Eichorst (similar to how he retained Bo for one more year; if anyone believed he really supported Bo as a long-term coach at that time contact me for some oceanfront property in the Salt Valley) is pervasive, and rats might want to leave the sinking ship.  Despite extremely active recruiting, we get no commitments.  Not making excuses but I can't imagine that bizarre way of functioning out of the AD's office hasn't hurt.   I have no idea whether any of this caused Ed to transfer, or Glynn to get shopped by his AAU coach per rumors, and if assistants are polishing off their resumes.  But Rome has been burning for at least 2 months and all we have is a 3 line tweet from the leader.

Now I suppose SE can claim that things have changed since the tweet and he has to make a move.  Gets more clout and public support for the move than he would have had at season end.    But his weirdness could have caused some of the doom and gloom and further swirling down the drain. Hard to understand this guy.  But to me he needed to either make a change (which I would have been fine with), or understand that you have to provide a lot more support than some month old statements and a tweet, which most people don't believe anyway.   

The "no public statements" have proven to be false. And yes, I know, the public statements that HAS been made you believe Eichorst is lying.  Which he may be...but again, damned if you do...damned if you don't type of deal.  But, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that Morrow was gone regardless of what Eichorst did or didn't say.  There were many rumors leading up to the end of the season of key transfers IF Miles was retained.  And that wasn't because Eichorst wasn't making a statement after each blowout loss but more so due to a few players believing Miles will not fully develop them(again rumor.) 

3 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

The "no public statements" have proven to be false. And yes, I know, the public statements that HAS been made you believe Eichorst is lying.  Which he may be...but again, damned if you do...damned if you don't type of deal.  But, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that Morrow was gone regardless of what Eichorst did or didn't say.  There were many rumors leading up to the end of the season of key transfers IF Miles was retained.  And that wasn't because Eichorst wasn't making a statement after each blowout loss but more so due to a few players believing Miles will not fully develop them(again rumor.) 

So 13, do you think sending a short tweet and then going silent for 3 weeks is smart?   Good leadership?  Even if you say you're not going to comment during the season, is there a reason to delay public comment 3 weeks after the season?  Do you think any recruits just might be getting told "careful, don't go there, that guy hasn't' been extended for 2 years and will be gone in one at the latest"?   Think the assistants would feel secure?   Is Miles Eichort's guy, or is he just cutting his nuts off and letting him twist in the wind?

19 minutes ago, HB said:

So 13, do you think sending a short tweet and then going silent for 3 weeks is smart?   Good leadership?  Even if you say you're not going to comment during the season, is there a reason to delay public comment 3 weeks after the season?  Do you think any recruits just might be getting told "careful, don't go there, that guy hasn't' been extended for 2 years and will be gone in one at the latest"?   Think the assistants would feel secure?   Is Miles Eichort's guy, or is he just cutting his nuts off and letting him twist in the wind?

I honestly don't know.  He did say he would address the program after the final four...no? Why would the assistants feel secure? I think just about everybody knows Miles is likely gone next year if they don't produce. I don't know what Eichorst could say at this point to make people feel all warm and fuzzy because apparently when he does speak it's a lie anyways.  I'm really curious to see what he does say though...I really don't know how I feel about the contract situation.  If Eichorst extends Miles are you going to bash the decision? If he doesn't, are you going to bash him? I'm sure coaches are negatively recruiting against us.  That's the name of the game it seems.  I'm sure recruits also recognize how awful we have been the past three years as well.  You don't think other coaches are pointing out the results on the court?  I just don't buy that a recruit or current player is going to base a big decision on what Eichorst does, or does not say.   

Edited by huskerbaseball13

3 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I honestly don't know.  He did say he would address the program after the final four...no?  I don't know what Eichorst could say at this point to make people feel all warm and fuzzy because apparently when he does speak it's a lie anyways.  I'm really curious to see what he does say though...I really don't know how I feel about the contract situation.  If Eichorst extends Miles are you going to bash the decision? If he doesn't, are you going to bash him? I'm sure coaches are negatively recruiting against us.  That's the name of the game it seems.  I'm sure recruits also recognize how awful we have been the past three years as well.  I just don't buy that a recruit or current player is going to base a big decision on what Eichorst does, or does not say.   

My point is his sending a pithy tweet and then going radio silence for 3 weeks makes zero sense, and a lot of bad stuff can happen this time of year absent some leadership.  No one has set forth a rational reason for that delay.   At this point none of it may matter as things looks extremely bleak.  And maybe that's what Steve Pedersen Jr. really wanted in the first place.   

4 minutes ago, HB said:

My point is his sending a pithy tweet and then going radio silence for 3 weeks makes zero sense, and a lot of bad stuff can happen this time of year absent some leadership.  No one has set forth a rational reason for that delay.   At this point none of it may matter as things looks extremely bleak.  And maybe that's what Steve Pedersen Jr. really wanted in the first place.   

I highly doubt Eichorst wants the basketball program to fail.  His job would be much easier if Miles started to win games.  This is right along the lines of Barry Alvarez calling the shots in Lincoln for Eichorst.   

Just now, huskerbaseball13 said:

I highly doubt Eichorst wants the basketball program to fail.  His job would be much easier if Miles started to win games.  This is right along the lines of Barry Alvarez calling the shots in Lincoln for Eichorst.   

No, it's not close to some conspiracy theory.   I didn't say he wanted to have the program fail.  Those were your words.  But he may very well want to make his own hire.  If so, he should have done it.  If he decided not to, or someone else intervened and said he couldn't, than he should show some support and not go silent for 3 weeks.   If the problem is Miles not winning games, than do something about it.  But IMO this guy is adding to the problems, not helping any of them.  

I'm not ready to crucify Eichorst yet.

I will say the games he plays with support and comments aren't beneficial.   No comment while speculation is circling and less than 5 minutes after the season ends in embarrassing fashion you issue a tweet of support.   You didn't make the decision to keep Miles at that point.....why let things run rampant.   I get you don't want to comment on speculation, but in this day and age with social media and the way information travels and goes viral....you need to control the message.

Taking names out of it, the situation that the basketball coaching staff finds itself in is at least partially the A.D.’s fault.  The relevant timeline:

Spring 2016: AD doesn’t give basketball HC an industry-standard contract extension.  Also of note, the basketball HC was not hired by the current AD.  Calls into question whether the basketball HC is on the hot seat and results in negative recruiting against the basketball program. 

Fall 2016: AD holds press conference publicly supporting the football HC, which renders the AD’s “no comment during the season policy” null and void.  Perhaps most bewildering is that the comment came during a season in which the football team showed improvement, and the coaching staff was widely known to be the AD’s top choice.  As such, there was no real threat of the football coach being on a hot seat.

Winter 2016-2017: Basketball team’s win/loss record shows no improvement, and team marches toward third consecutive losing season.  Despite public support for the football HC three months prior, the AD remains silent regarding the basketball HC’s future.  Widespread speculation in the media erupts.

Spring 2017: Within seconds of basketball season’s conclusion, AD tweets that the basketball HC will be back.

Edited by aphilso1

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Taking names out of it, the situation that the basketball coaching staff finds itself in is at least partially the A.D.’s fault.  The relevant timeline:

Spring 2016: AD doesn’t give basketball HC an industry-standard contract extension.  Also of note, the basketball HC was not hired by the current AD.  Calls into question whether the basketball HC is on the hot seat and results in negative recruiting against the basketball program. 

Fall 2016: AD holds press conference publicly supporting the football HC, which renders the AD’s “no comment during the season policy” null and void.  Perhaps most bewildering is that the comment came during a season in which the football team showed improvement, and the coaching staff was widely known to be the AD’s top choice.  As such, there was no real threat of the football coach being on a hot seat.

Winter 2016-2017: Basketball team’s win/loss record shows no improvement, and team marches toward third consecutive losing season.  Despite public support for the football HC three months prior, the AD remains silent regarding the basketball HC’s future.  Widespread speculation in the media erupts.

Spring 2017: Within seconds of basketball season’s conclusion, AD tweets that the basketball HC will be back.

Yep that is it in a nut shell and it is kinda strange.

Oh well, come October I will be ready to cheer who, whom? ever is here and willing to don the Scarlet & Cream !:)

Not saying you are wrong...I just don't remember...when did Eichorst hold a press conference in the Fall of 2016 to show support of Mike Riley?

Also noticed that he went Jerry jones and hung out on football sideline and tried to encourage and congratulate players etc.

The only time I recall him mentioning anything during basketball season is when he tweeted a picture of practice during the high point of the season after Indiana and Maryland and right before Iowa.

5 hours ago, HB said:

You may not like Shawn Eichorst. That's your prerogative.

He is frankly very little like Steve Pederson in personality or leadership style. Certainly not in communication style - Pederson never had any issues gabbing to the media. He showed off new toilets once, for goodness sakes.

I can imagine Eichorst is different from Tom Osborne in ways that some people don't appreciate. But different doesn't necessarily mean "wrong." It's just different. That's not to say I've agreed with everything Eichorst has done or not said. I don't. But I don't think he's held out on Miles.

Miles has enjoyed the best facilities in school history. He's had use of a private plane. He's treated unusually well by the press. It's simply hard to make the argument he hasn't been given everything to succeed. I don't believe miles himself would say so. 

4 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

He is frankly very little like Steve Pederson in personality or leadership style. Certainly not in communication style - Pederson never had any issues gabbing to the media. He showed off new toilets once, for goodness sakes.

I can imagine Eichorst is different from Tom Osborne in ways that some people don't appreciate. But different doesn't necessarily mean "wrong." It's just different. That's not to say I've agreed with everything Eichorst has done or not said. I don't. But I don't think he's held out on Miles.

Miles has enjoyed the best facilities in school history. He's had use of a private plane. He's treated unusually well by the press. It's simply hard to make the argument he hasn't been given everything to succeed. I don't believe miles himself would say so. 

Where he is similar to Steve Pederson is in results.  

16 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Not saying you are wrong...I just don't remember...when did Eichorst hold a press conference in the Fall of 2016 to show support of Mike Riley?

It may have happened in 2016 too, I don't honestly remember, but it would appear he first broke his rule in the fall of 2015, per Tom Shatel...

http://www.omaha.com/sports/shatel-what-s-this-shawn-eichorst-talks-about-his-guy/article_23e179c1-a67c-5c7f-9866-d0f52d42fbef.html

Not sure if that's better or worse for the context of the situation...on one hand, it was year 1 for Riley and people were already asking for a mulligan. On the other, it's when a coach was floundering and in need of public support, and he was willing to provide it then. It's also possibly a little telling when even Shatel ribs on it just being for his own guy.

aphilso could also be correct in Eichorst publicly supporting Mike Riley in 2016 too. But it looks like the rule first went out the door in 2015. I guess we'll all draw our own conclusions, but that's at least maybe a clarification of what otherwise appears to be a fairly accurate flyover of this whole mess.

39 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

Sam, why the little jab at the end of your article today at the men's basketball program?  

14 minutes ago, Jugular said:

Sam, why the little jab at the end of your article today at the men's basketball program?  

I believe Nebraska basketball has become a cautionary tale in recent years. While attrition has become common at almost all programs, Nebraska should try to have continuity as its advantage. 

But next year may prove me wrong. 

The results haven't been there for Husker Athletics since the turn of the century for ANY AD that sat in the North office.  Of course, that's still TBD on coaches like Miles, Riley, Williams, Erstad.  They haven't been canned yet. 

Butif you were AD Miles and Erstad would be gone. By going with your tone throughout the seasons.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Butif you were AD Miles and Erstad would be gone. By going with your tone throughout the seasons.

Actually no...I said even before Miles was retained that if we couldn't fine a viable candidate I'd rather keep Miles for 17-18. And no, I wouldn't fire Erstad. He hasn't been so bad that he needs fired. I just don't think he should have ever been in the running for the job. But, I have no idea what that has to do with my original post. I'm not the AD. 

You have said repeatedly that moles should be fired. And you have no love for Erstad, you bag on both when things don't go so well for them. You van denie all you want but it is in writing. And the point about the AD is that if you had any power in the athletic department those two would be gone.

13 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

You have said repeatedly that moles should be fired. And you have no love for Erstad, you bag on both when things don't go so well for them. You van denie all you want but it is in writing. And the point about the AD is that if you had any power in the athletic department those two would be gone.

:lol::lol::lol: