Morrow leaving

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Judging Eichorst when neither of his hires have had more than full two seasons is outrageous. Just like judging a coaches success after two seasons is down right stupid. That goes for any coach or AD, not just saying that to protect SE. 

Back to the topic at hand - what are the odds Copeland gets to play the full season next year? I think that is huge now. 

I would say nearly 100%.  He'll get his waiver.  Not worried.

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Judging Eichorst when neither of his hires have had more than full two seasons is outrageous. Just like judging a coaches success after two seasons is down right stupid. That goes for any coach or AD, not just saying that to protect SE. 

Back to the topic at hand - what are the odds Copeland gets to play the full season next year? I think that is huge now. 

I thought I last read that they feel pretty good about Copeland getting a full year next year.  Hopefully that's the case.  We are going to need him.  I'm more concerned about finding a serviceable big now that can provide 10-15 minutes.  I like the thought of reaching out to Donnal. 

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well, it's Eichorst's baby now.  He had the chance to fire Miles and didn't.  So, whatever happens, it's on Eichorst from here on out. 

I'm hoping that means I won't have to hear any more stuff about the relative success of Osborne hires.

I want to make sure I understand you correctly.  Are you saying that four years into things that this is eichorsts athletic department and not Osbornes?  That's crazy talk.

8 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I think that you have posted this on the wrong guy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is about the fifteenth thread that has veered off the rails because someone is still upset about Pelini getting the axe, and another someone is okay with it.  I get that the Athletic Director's track record on hiring and firing is relevant, obviously.

There were legitimate arguments to keep Bo - we always won at least nine, somehow, with about 3 crazy miracle comeback wins a year it seems; the graduation rate was better than ever; there was not an inordinate amount of players getting in trouble (with exceptions like Randy Gregory of course). There were legitimate reasons to get rid of him too, with the blowout losses, giving up 400+ yards to one guy who had about 10 yards total after contact in that game; the sideline antics; the halftime interviews that were unprofessional; the George Costanza act during the Iowa game when he was basically trying to get fired; and reports of questionable off-field behavior.  Nobody's completely right; nobody's completely wrong; constantly rehashing the argument leads to nothing but a pissing match.  And it doesn't matter much, since it was apparent to most people that he didn't want to be here any longer anyway.

So, enough of my hypocrisy about complaining about a thread getting hijacked into talking about the Pelini firing and then talking about the Pelini firing myself.

8 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I would say nearly 100%.  He'll get his waiver.  Not worried.

I think it's 100% that he gets the medical redshirt to repeat the year of eligibility, but that doesn't usually mean that a midseason transfer doesn't still have to sit out a semester. At least it hasn't in the past (cf. Echinique at Unmentionable U.).

3 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

I think it's 100% that he gets the medical redshirt to repeat the year of eligibility, but that doesn't usually mean that a midseason transfer doesn't still have to sit out a semester. At least it hasn't in the past (cf. Echinique at Unmentionable U.).

If he has to sit out a semester, then it's like not getting a medical at all.

8 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

You wanted Miles to return, yes?

Sam - mildly off topic. But a buddy of mine who I respect quite a bit once said to me, "Most ADs only gets to fire two big program coaches and they're gone when it comes to the third." 

Agree....? Disagree...? Does Yori count towards his second (Bo being first)? 

4 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

There were legitimate arguments to keep Bo - we always won at least nine, somehow, with about 3 crazy miracle comeback wins a year it seems; the graduation rate was better than ever; there was not an inordinate amount of players getting in trouble (with exceptions like Randy Gregory of course).

The only way it would have been palatable for Pelini to stay - IMO - is for the AD, and by proxy the fan base, to basically tell Pelini 9 wins, a good graduation rate and a lack of players getting in trouble became the standard of success. And by that I'm serious: Pelini chafed under expectations that were higher than that. He did - look at 2010, when a 12-win potential team devolved into drama by the time Big 12 play rolled around.

He thrived this year at YSU as the underdog. Pelini was comfortable making miracle comebacks. It fit his personality - back against the wall, hope lost. He couldn't play with house money. So, you basically would have had to tell him "Hey, 9 wins are great, top 30 recruiting classes are great, the graduation rate is great, do your thing." 

The question is whether Nebraska fans really want that. 

Miles, conversely, has standards perhaps higher than fans have asked of him. He schedules like it, and he accepts transfers who used to be top-end recruits like it. His teams wear down at season's end because he schedules tough and the Big Ten is tough, and his teams, IMO, have more athleticism than they do skill and grit. But when Miles schedules the way he does, the opponents don't lack for athletes. 

10 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Sam - mildly off topic. But a buddy of mine who I respect quite a bit once said to me, "Most ADs only gets to fire two big program coaches and they're gone when it comes to the third." 

Agree....? Disagree...? Does Yori count towards his second (Bo being first)? 

Not Sam but damn right Yori counts as his second. 

9 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

Miles is bad but it's not just a Miles problem with the athletic program. When schools with much smaller budgets such as Baylor and KSU are doing better than you in both major sports on a consistent basis it's time to evaluate how things are being ran at the top. 

I think we should avoid being Baylor. 

37 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

The only way it would have been palatable for Pelini to stay - IMO - is for the AD, and by proxy the fan base, to basically tell Pelini 9 wins, a good graduation rate and a lack of players getting in trouble became the standard of success. And by that I'm serious: Pelini chafed under expectations that were higher than that. He did - look at 2010, when a 12-win potential team devolved into drama by the time Big 12 play rolled around.

He thrived this year at YSU as the underdog. Pelini was comfortable making miracle comebacks. It fit his personality - back against the wall, hope lost. He couldn't play with house money. So, you basically would have had to tell him "Hey, 9 wins are great, top 30 recruiting classes are great, the graduation rate is great, do your thing." 

The question is whether Nebraska fans really want that. 

Miles, conversely, has standards perhaps higher than fans have asked of him. He schedules like it, and he accepts transfers who used to be top-end recruits like it. His teams wear down at season's end because he schedules tough and the Big Ten is tough, and his teams, IMO, have more athleticism than they do skill and grit. But when Miles schedules the way he does, the opponents don't lack for athletes. 

The Nebraska fans are an entirely entitled lot. Sore losers. The greatest fans moniker has been proven to be a lie as big as the sellout streak. 

The Nebraska fans wanted more, with no idea how difficult of a job it is maintain the minimum standard of excellence that the majority of schools in D1 would love to have.

The marketing department formerly known as the Nebraska football program will soon choke on it's on vomit. This is Bill Callahan all over again except with a bigger budget and a better marketing department. 

21 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

The Nebraska fans are an entirely entitled lot. Sore losers. The greatest fans moniker has been proven to be a lie as big as the sellout streak. 

The Nebraska fans wanted more, with no idea how difficult of a job it is maintain the minimum standard of excellence that the majority of schools in D1 would love to have.

The marketing department formerly known as the Nebraska football program will soon choke on it's on vomit. This is Bill Callahan all over again except with a bigger budget and a better marketing department. 

Yikes, I didn't think I was that bad of a fan :)

On 3/29/2017 at 8:05 PM, SkerBall said:

Correct

If Morrow isn't the last, Miles needs to be let go ASAP.  If it is Glynn Watson you are talking about, he needs to have his contract burned.  Morrow and Watson are (were) the Face of Nebraska basketball and losing Morrow means all what I was defending Miles for is out the window!

Edited by big red22