Morrow leaving

3 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Maybe because it's fair to point out that TOs hires haven't exactly set the world on fire   You can perceive it as being shoved in your face.    It can also be perceived as a valid talking point. 

The same people who bash Eichorst for hiring Amy Williams and Riley are the same people who will defend AD Tom Osborne to the death. Yet, his hires haven't exactly worked out. And that's why it's a talking point and they get REALLY upset over it. To be fair, I don't know enough about Eichorst to say he's fit to hire our next coach. If he's not..I hope he leaves before it comes down to it. This program has been In the cellar long enough. 

16 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Maybe because it's fair to point out that TOs hires haven't exactly set the world on fire   You can perceive it as being shoved in your face.    It can also be perceived as a valid talking point. 

It it also gets brought up because there is clear animosity directed towards SE when he wasn't the guy who hired the guy to put us in this situation 

To borrow a phrase from Hillary Clinton, what difference, at this point, does it make?

I can't disagree with anyone who thinks Miles' tenure is toast, whether that's next week or next year.  But really, does anyone here think there is a coach on this planet that is going to get us back to the NCAA?  This program is a ship wreck.

One step forward, two steps back..... one step forward, two steps back.....one step forward, two steps back.....

Gawd, what a waste, spending 47 years saying "next year".....:angry:

Sorry folks.  Had to vent.

1 hour ago, rr52 said:

Guessing there are people here that may have an idea on this. If more transfers were to happen would some boosters come forward and have SE drop the axe? Thus making SE eat his words but make getting rid of Miles easier since boosters are pushing for it. And maybe that was part of the reason Miles was retained was because of the amount of players and talent for next year and he would be given the chance to prove his worth.

if glynn transfers within the next week, they'd have to seriously consider letting miles go.

yes, eichorst said miles will be back but that was before potentially our 2 best players left the team.

2 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

I can't disagree with anyone who thinks Miles' tenure is toast, whether that's next week or next year.  But really, does anyone here think there is a coach on this planet that is going to get us back to the NCAA?  This program is a ship wreck.

One step forward, two steps back..... one step forward, two steps back.....one step forward, two steps back.....

Miles did pull a rabbit out of the hat with the quick fix in year two, so it's actually not impossible.  Copeland is the most talented player they've had in at least 20 years, so there's that.

20 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Lee B reported that sources say Morrow wanted more time at the wing to help develop his pro potential. 

Morrow at the wing?

In a round-a-bout way he's not wrong: he has zero shot in the NBA as a big. However, it's sad when a player can't realize that just because they're ball screening or posting - doesn't mean they can pop, get the ball on the perimeter, drive, etc... basketball is positionless these days. When we got motion with ball screens and mover/blocker principles, we're basically a 4-out 1-in offense anyways - zero reason why he couldn't shot fake, blow buy, and look like a guard.

If he wasn't allowed to shoot 3's - that's on him. TM has never blown me away with much, but even I don't think he's dumb enough to stop a guy who's proved he can hit the 3. So obviously he hasn't shown the ability to knock them down in practice or workouts. 

Morrow's best-case-scenario of ever playing in the NBA is being a Draymond Green. As much as I shake my head when we have the ball, there was nothing holding EM back from doing DG types of things but skill and health. 

Edited by basketballjones

4 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

Couple things...

1.  6 Years ago we were wondering the same thing.  We did find a coach who got us there.  There just hasn't been diddly squat since which is unfortunate.

2.  I do believe that there are multiple coaches that can get us to the tourney.  However, one must realize that there are coaches who just are not an option.  Realistic options are much more of a few and far in-between.

Before I rant, I want you all to know that I tend to be one of the biggest sunshine pumpers, always backing Miles, always thinking "next year's our year". Every person i talked to this year, i told them Miles deserves next year.  I even stayed after the Michigan game debacle to shake Miles' hand and told him I hope they give him another year. I still love Miles, and I will back him if he's still here obviously.

But something is definitely wrong. I could accept Petteway (mom/NBA dreams), Pitch (off court issues, lack of motivation Jr year), Benedict Arnold III (selfish, family), and all the other transfers. But Ed is different. Both of his parents played sports at Nebraska. He should be a lock to stay. On top of it all, we have lost arguably our best player, scorer, or all-around guy the last 3 years to transfer/early departure, and all of those teams were below .500.  It's one thing if you are a blueblood or a team who consistently makes the Dance. A team like us can't afford this. I am running out of excuses.

1 minute ago, TimSmiles said:

if glynn transfers within the next week, they'd have to seriously consider letting miles go.

yes, eichorst said miles will be back but that was before potentially our 2 best players left the team.

If that were to happen, Miles would almost immediately have to have a quality replacement in place in order to keep the heat down.  You couldn't have a situation similar to replacing Tyronn Lue with Joe Holmes without having a coaching search in the near future.

3 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

In a round-a-bout way he's not wrong: he has zero shot in the NBA as a big. However, it's sad when a player can't realize that just because they're ball screening or posting - doesn't mean they can pop, get the ball on the perimeter, drive, etc... basketball is positionless these days. When we got motion with ball screens and mover/blocker principles, we're basically a 4-out 1-in offense anyways - zero reason why he couldn't shot fake, blow buy, and look like a guard.

If he wasn't allowed to shoot 3's - that's on him. TM has never blown me away with much, but even I don't think he's dumb enough to stop a guy who's proved he can hit the 3. So obviously he hasn't shown the ability to knock them down in practice or workouts. 

It would be a lot easier for somebody like him to show perimeter skills if he's guarded by a center than if he was guarded by a wing.

9 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

The kid also has to have the skills to be in position to do so. It's definitely on Ed to recognize double teams, be able to dribble, be a better passer, be a better shooter, et al.

I agree with you. Ed has no perimeter game.

I was just pointing out that I think when TM recruited Morrow he told Ed that and that was a mistake. 

Edited by imnothipp
make point clearer

1 minute ago, imnothipp said:

I agree with you. Ed has no perimeter game.

I was just pointing out that I think when TM recruited Morrow he told Ed that.  Miles mistake was telling Ed that when he recruited him. 

Well, the coaches can only do so much as far as development. It's on the kid to do it. And, yes, I realize Eddie has suffered through a few foot injuries that have hampered his development. I hope it works out for Eddie, I'll always hold his tough play as an example of the type of hard-nosed guy that Nebrasketball needs down low.

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

This along with having a year to not injury his feet seem about right?

To put some more explanation into this post. I don't think anyone here thinks we're better off without Ed. Any sort of knock on his game is basically coming from a place of disagreement on where he should play.  Padilla's thoughts were echoed in LeeBo's story and you could hear the same sentiment in various Morrow interviews over the last year.

Ed doesn't want to play center; he wants to play forward. With our roster, this isn't necessarily optimal (it's fine to disagree with that). Putting Morrow and Jordy on the court at the same time basically clogs up the lane, which we are trying to drive into. 

In some regards we have failed Ed because we didn't put the right players around him that complemented his strengths and weaknesses. In some regards he's failed us because he doesn't want to play in the spot that is beneficial to the rest of the team.

At the end of the day this seems like a business decision by him.. It's especially hard to hear this sort of modern day phenomenon coming from the one guy you'd expect to care about wearing the N.