Is UConn dominance good for Women's BB?

Cazzie22

I am watching UConn dismantle Oregon with ease (wondering why starters are in with a 35 point 4th qtr lead) and wondering why should I watch the Final Four.   South Carolina-FSU will be an interesting game, but UConn will dominate everyone.  They are a team of highly skilled greyhounds that are ruthless in their quest for victory.  Don't tell me others have to get better, there are not enough skilled players in the country who want to work that hard for anyone else.

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

I am watching UConn dismantle Oregon with ease (wondering why starters are in with a 35 point 4th qtr lead) and wondering why should I watch the Final Four.   South Carolina-FSU will be an interesting game, but UConn will dominate everyone.  They are a team of highly skilled greyhounds that are ruthless in their quest for victory.  Don't tell me others have to get better, there are not enough skilled players in the country who want to work that hard for anyone else.

Can't speak for others but outside of UCONN fans and the other 3 also rans, don't see how there can be much interest given the outcome is already known.  

8 hours ago, redsteve said:

She transferred there from ILL, and no I don't think she sat out.

i believe white averaged around 18 minutes a game and a little over 8 points. not exactly the white big ten fans were used to seeing. i tuned into an fsu game, oh, maybe late jan early feb to see how she was doing. i was a little surprised. she didn't get in much and when she did, she appeared to look healthy. so........

i guess when a team is winning and expectations are high, odds are players are a little more content. 

UCONN does for women's basketball for me the same thing Tiger Woods did for the PGA tour for a while: they make it boring. 

I will expect them to win the national championship every year Geno is on the sidelines.  And if they don't win it, they'll be playing for it, more than likely.  There's no drama there.

Saban is almost doing the same thing at Alabama.  I will expect them to win the championship (or at least play for it) every year he's got headsets on.

They're all great (Geno just may be the best coach the sport has ever seen), but they make things uninteresting.

If you talk to people that don't watch womens basketball on a regular basis like all of us on here the only reason they do watch womens basketball is to watch UCONN!! I am not sure if I believe its bad for womens basketball yet as so many womens teams are so damn boring because most teams cant play with out turning the ball over or just throwing up crap shot!! If UCONN was an average team I think there would be even less people watching womens basketball!!! I think its going to take more girl players that play like guys and a faster game as well to get more viewers!!!

Never have been sure what to think about this topic, but like others have said I do think it makes things generally uninteresting.  No drama, except to see if maybe someone plays UCONN close.  I don't know (I doubt) that it will even happen in the Final Four.  I'm sure that there are some that tune in just to see UCONN play, but then I think that just draws attention to them, not WBB in general so much.

I know that my family and both sides of my parents family love the men's tournament because of the upsets. Almost none of them watch the women's (unless Nebraska was playing) tournament because "it's boring and everyone is playing for second".  People who like to watch uconn like to watch them because they do play good fundamental basketball. However it seems to me that the gap between uconn and everyone else is only widening, not closing. There's getting to be more parity in the women's game outside if uconn, but teams still can't beat them (there have been teams this year that have been close but none could execute down the stretch against one of the worst uconn teams for some time).

51 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

How can one of the worst UCONN basketball teams have two first team and one second team all Americans.

Because the 3 are that good....just not as deep a team as they have been. Pretty sure the top 2018 player in USA just committed...so on it goes. 

I, for one, am a big fan of UCONN women'a basketball.  They play the game at a high level and the way it is meant to be played.   To me they play the most entertaining form of basketball to be seen on TV.  I  am not a fan of basketball played above the rim.  I am far too short to play that way.  If I was a foot taller I might feel differently.  I also stopped watching NBA ball a long time ago when it became a big man's one-on-one game.