Shepard Transferring

hhcmatt

6 hours ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

I honestly don't think she was a "big enough name" hire for Nebraska. I think its going to take a few years for her to get some people into the program like Page, Hooper, and Griffin that make people want to come to Nebraska to play!! I hope it turns around for her in the future!! I liked what we had going for us next year with Shepard on the team. Now that she is transferring I think we will have another year like this year which sucks. I thought with what we had coming in and what was already here we were going to be a middle of the pack team but we will be bottom end again I think.

I hope Nicea doesn't transfer out or Whittish!!!

Agree I hope Nicea & Whittish don't transfer!....

5 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Thought I last week that no one was transferring, as everyone was on board

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Number6 said:

This should come as no surprise to absolutely anyone.

This is a girl that went to two high schools and had agreed to attend a third.  She was going to attend Lincoln Southwest, then switched to Lincoln Southeast a month before her Freshman year and then went to Fremont.  Now while the Fremont move was related to a parent getting a new job, there's still that history.

She was one of the least in shape players I had ever seen play at Nebraska and we will be ultimately much better off without.  And doesn't anyone figure she was behind Yori getting the door?

Heard during the season she was transferring....

6 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

She can't get into good enough shape to play for UCONN.

5 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Sam brings up a point that I had not heard. He said that there were rumblings at mid season about her wanting out. Jess is not the one I had heard that might transfer.

some of us heard it during the seaons

My two cents worth on Jess' decision to transfer.  I have mixed feelings about her decision. As skilled as she is, I never fell in love with her game.  She could have done so much better if she would not have tried to force the issue on many occasions.  She was the worst post player defensively that I can remember.  Her bonehead decisions to force the ball, Make silly passes and/or her mental lapses when she did not hustle or catch the ball when open for shots underneath basket plus the number of blown shots drove me crazy.  My expectations of her were considerably higher. I expected her to work on her jump shot from the key area and 15-20 feet out to the point that she would hit it consistently.  She had much more work to do inside than to try to become a 3-point threat, in my opinion.  She should have left the three point shooting to the guards while stationing herself under the basket for rebounding.  Hopefully, we can turn the corner and install a game that makes use of the talent that remains behind and play with a lot more hustle, focus and enthusiasm than we did with Jess as our so--called leader.

There is nothing that pisses me off more than hearing someone was shopping around before the season was over.  I wish we would have just benched her when that happened and made that public.  Good riddance!  Give me someone who is a team player over someone who pulls crap like that any day.  

6 hours ago, Row6Seat10 said:

Quite a few of us did. I actually believed it was a for long conclusion that she would announce this. I was hoping at first it was just a rumor and that Coach Williams could get her to buy in, get in shape and start to play at a top level. The part of the rumor I despised the most was that during the season she was contacting other programs about transferring and gauging the interest they had in her.  Channel 10/11 confirmed this rumor last night.

That's just plain old BS that a player is playing the field when in your uniform.

Just part of the growing trend and existing epidemic that exists in women's college basketball.  This news is disappointing.  What is happening to these type of kids? If you face adversity, rise up and be a leader and be a good teammate.  Why are kids today programmed to make these type of decisions?  Student athletes shouldn't be entitled to make these type of decisions.  Life is not always fair and kids today think they are always entitled to bigger and better things.  Nebraska and its fan base can appreciate a solid work effort.  Kids that love the game and are team players with drive and passion for the game should be recruited to come to Nebraska.  All others should not apply. Entitlement is killing college basketball.  What a disappointment!! UConn's coach said it best when it comes to recruiting.  No wonder they have sustained such a winning tradition.  See below.  This is spot on.

Great incite into what makes Geno's teams work. Yes he has the luxury of benching a "star", but he will do it. There is an aura about his teams and this is a big part. Would he take JS...seriously doubt it. He's seen her up close....and said what he said about her getting in shape, but he may well have seen other things too....just wouldn't say it publicly. She's just the type of player he wouldn't play.

Sure.... someone will take JS, but she'll have to change her ways if she wants to get on a top level team....and play. (pretty clear she thought her talents were being wasted on us,  ....to good to stay here, and apparently didn't like being called out by coaching staffs to get in shape, and work.)

Edited by redsteve

At first, when I heard the news, I was disappointed. Now, after some time thinking about it, I think it will be good for both JS and Nebraska WBB to have a fresh start. From reading through the posts, it seems that some folks had the same thoughts I did about the possibility of her leaving. Now I don't have to worry about the other shoe dropping because it's now dropped and as a fan, I can move on to what's next.

We need players that have the same drive and attitude like Nicea, Hannah, and Burns, and in the past, Cady, Moore and Hooper. I LOVE watching them play. Watching the games, it felt to me like JS wasn't always 'all in'.  That's just a feeling I had and I'm not trying to bash her. I only wish her the best on her way out and I hope she learns from this experience.

I look forward to the future and Coach Williams building a great team.

59 minutes ago, rastro said:

At first, when I heard the news, I was disappointed. Now, after some time thinking about it, I think it will be good for both JS and Nebraska WBB to have a fresh start. From reading through the posts, it seems that some folks had the same thoughts I did about the possibility of her leaving. Now I don't have to worry about the other shoe dropping because it's now dropped and as a fan, I can move on to what's next.

We need players that have the same drive and attitude like Nicea, Hannah, and Burns, and in the past, Cady, Moore and Hooper. I LOVE watching them play. Watching the games, it felt to me like JS wasn't always 'all in'.  That's just a feeling I had and I'm not trying to bash her. I only wish her the best on her way out and I hope she learns from this experience.

I look forward to the future and Coach Williams building a great team.

I completely identify with your take here.