The power of coaching

PICKLE

22 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Like everyone here, I just want a good basketball team to follow. That’s one thing on which we all agree. As fans, I feel we have to be resolute in our refusal to accept mediocrity in our basketball program. The unfortunate reality is that most Husker fans only care about football and only demand accountability in that program. This phenomenon may have had a tangible impact on the AD’s decision to retain Miles.

Funny...I personally felt like keeping Miles was the resolute path for refusing mediocrity.

24 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Welcome to the board Pickle. This can be a tough crowd for folks who aren’t big fans of the current head coach.

That's what you think is going on in this thread? You think this person just stumbled onto this board last week?

1 minute ago, hhcdimes said:

Funny...I personally felt like keeping Miles was the resolute path for refusing mediocrity.

That's what you think is going on in this thread? You think this person just stumbled onto this board last week?

As far as keeping Miles being the resolute path for refusing mediocrity, you'd have to present the case for that opinion. I don't share it, but you have a right to your opinion.

Regarding the second comment, I'm not following. You'll have to clarify.

5 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Think 5th grade girls basketball coaching....

If he's a former poster who has a history here and is now posting under a different screen name, it's been lost on me. And "Kidney" means nothing to me. Sorry...

Edited by Hooper

16 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Regarding the second comment, I'm not following. You'll have to clarify.

Sure.  Like if you used to post on here but then you couldn't because you couldn't figure out that all you had to do was reset your password to your email that may or may not exist so you used your mom's email to make an account.  

6 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Sure.  Like if you used to post on here but then you couldn't because you couldn't figure out that all you had to do was reset your password to your email that may or may not exist so you used your mom's email to make an account.  

I couldn't believe this was on a second page, but it was worth it for this. ^^^^

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:58 PM, Hooper said:

Welcome to the board Pickle. This can be a tough crowd for folks who aren’t big fans of the current head coach. He enjoys a lot of support here. I was personally very supportive of Miles until the end-of-the-year slide, after which he lost my support.

I was in the camp that was in favor of replacing Miles after the season. Given that this perspective was not shared by the AD, for whatever reason, he’s back for another year, and he’ll have my support. However, he’s now guilty until proven innocent to me instead of innocent until proven guilty, and this is an important distinction in terms of the mindset of a fan. I’ll be watching closely with a very critical eye going forward.

One thing that really bothers me about Miles is his inability to recruit shooters, or perhaps, more accurately, a lack of emphasis on recruiting shooters. Having watched a lot of college basketball this year, I feel now, more than ever, that the college game has essentially devolved into a three-point shooting contest, and the teams that lack shooters are bringing a knife to a gunfight.

I know we anticipated having AWIII on the roster last year, but even with him, the team was woefully lacking in shooters, and that’s a clear recipe for inconsistency from game to game. A team lacking multiple perimeter shooters in today’s game is not viable in my opinion. Similarly, a team that cannot defend perimeter shooters effectively is dead in the water, and Nebraska has been one of the worst defenses in the nation for two years now at defending shooters. The 2016-2017 season, to me, could be distilled down to one phrase: “couldn’t shoot the three, couldn’t defend the three.” That pretty much sums up the entire season in a nutshell as far as I’m concerned.

Can Miles right the ship next season? Time will tell. If we continue to defend the perimeter using the same strategy as the past two seasons, I expect us to be among the worst FG% defensive teams in the nation once again, and that will not get us to the Tournament. Likewise, if we have the same anemic shooting as we did last season, fans should forget about post-season play.

Like everyone here, I just want a good basketball team to follow. That’s one thing on which we all agree. As fans, I feel we have to be resolute in our refusal to accept mediocrity in our basketball program. The unfortunate reality is that most Husker fans only care about football and only demand accountability in that program. This phenomenon may have had a tangible impact on the AD’s decision to retain Miles.

The time has come for Miles and his staff to self-evaluate critically and make some real changes to the way they’re operating in a number of areas. There’s certainly some talent on the roster, though I’m not as high on that talent as I was prior to last season, and I’m not sure it’s necessarily superior to the talent on most of the other teams in the bottom half of the Conference.

The right coach can change the fortunes of a basketball program almost overnight. Just look at Northwestern. I once thought Miles was that coach. Now I’m far less certain. I’m willing to see what he and his staff can do next season, but the time for excuses is over. If they can’t get the team to the NCAA tournament next year, I feel we need to make a change and be prepared to throw a lot of money at the problem. I’m also concerned that Miles and his guys will face a real uphill battle in recruiting given their precarious position.

I think he didn't put the reason most of those teams were good.  Michigan had 7 juniors and seniors in their rotation.  They were 14-9 at one point, on the bubble.  They got hot, and parlayed it into a Sweet 16 appearance.  Iowa State had 4 seniors score in double figures.  They had no one close to that output.  Xavier had 2 juniors who led the team in scoring.  One of the last teams to make the tournament, and got hot.  Creighton struggled down the stretch without Mo.  St Mary's and Wichita State played in crappy conferences.

Northwestern didn't turn their fortunes overnight.  Carmody had them going 17-14, 20-14, 20-14, and 19-14, before a disastrous season got him canned.  Collins had 2 losing seasons, a 20-12 season, and this year got them to the tournament.