The power of coaching

PICKLE

Hello Husker community.  I'm sure you all with me wondering when, exactly, I'm actually gonna have a team to get behind in the tourney again.  Frustrating, but as is life.

I've watched college basketball and attended Husker men's games for the better part of 30 years.  When you really boil down to what makes or breaks a consistent NCAA tourney-level team, the most common denomenator is the coach.  I don't necessarily mean the teams at the top (although the example works).  More so, I mean Xavier, Michigan, Wisconsin, Creighton, St. Mary's, Wichita St., Iowa St.

All of these are teams that we can become.  The problem as I see it, is that all of them have better coaching and subsequently, an identity.  They don't screw around with multitudes of lineups and rotations year over year.  They know who they are, and they consistently are in the tournament as a tough out. 

Watching what Beilein did at Michigan this year is nothing short of remarkable.  Michigan could have tanked as we did, but they found their identity (check out the minutes of the Michigan rotation over the past 10 games..6-7 rotation max, starters 30+ minutes for all).

My good buddy is a loyal Husker fan, goes to games, and drums up the tired excuses of location, youth, this guys coming in, that guys coming, in, year over year it seems.  It's time we give that up.  Our location is good enough.  Our facilities are better than anyone in our mid-tier.  Our talent is OK.  A great coach finds a way.  Winning cures all, and let's be honest, Miles has over promised and under delivered.  We deserve better results.

Edited by PICKLE

3 hours ago, PICKLE said:

Hello Husker community.  I'm sure you all with me wondering when, exactly, I'm actually gonna have a team to get behind in the tourney again.  Frustrating, but as is life.

I've watched college basketball and attended Husker men's games for the better part of 30 years.  When you really boil down to what makes or breaks a consistent NCAA tourney-level team, the most common denomenator is the coach.  I don't necessarily mean the teams at the top (although the example works).  More so, I mean Xavier, Michigan, Wisconsin, Creighton, St. Mary's, Wichita St., Iowa St.

All of these are teams that we can become.  The problem as I see it, is that all of them have better coaching and subsequently, an identity.  They don't screw around with multitudes of lineups and rotations year over year.  They know who they are, and they consistently are in the tournament as a tough out. 

Watching what Beilein did at Michigan this year is nothing short of remarkable.  Michigan could have tanked as we did, but they found their identity (check out the minutes of the Michigan rotation over the past 10 games..6-7 rotation max, starters 30+ minutes for all).

My good buddy is a loyal Husker fan, goes to games, and drums up the tired excuses of location, youth, this guys coming in, that guys coming, in, year over year it seems.  It's time we give that up.  Our location is good enough.  Our facilities are better than anyone in our mid-tier.  Our talent is OK.  A great coach finds a way.  Winning cures all, and let's be honest, Miles has over promised and under delivered.  We deserve better results.

Interesting first post.  Time to head back under the bridge.

Thanks for giving me a good CHUCKLE, PICKLE.

You know, it's kind of refreshing to get a new poster like this every once in awhile.  It makes me appreciate life in my world.  I don't have to attack every  post that doesn't agree with my world view, whether that be politics, religion or coaching abilities.  Welcome to the Devaney Dungeon ;), PICKLE!

That's the power of love.

Edited by cipsucks

20 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Thanks for giving me a good CHUCKLE, PICKLE.

You know, it's kind of refreshing to get a new poster like this every once in awhile.  It makes me appreciate life in my world.  I don't have to attack every  post that doesn't agree with my world view, whether that be politics, religion or coaching abilities.  Welcome to the Devaney Dungeon ;), PICKLE!

This is "The Haymarket Hardwood," though..... so. Yeah, it's a dungeon, still.

Sorry your feelings were hurt but when someone appears with his first post criticizing the coach, it is hard to take him, or her, as a serious poster. This is especially true when Creighton is held up as a shining example of excellent coaching (didn't they get outcoached in the first game?). To answer your question, I disagree with your premise. Last I checked, the players are the ones who actually win or lose a game. I don't believe Altman is a better coach than Self although his players certainly kicked KU's butt last night. And in case you didn't realize it, PICKLE has the same number of letters as KIDNEY.

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

Sorry your feelings were hurt but when someone appears with his first post criticizing the coach, it is hard to take him, or her, as a serious poster. This is especially true when Creighton is held up as a shining example of excellent coaching (didn't they get outcoached in the first game?). To answer your question, I disagree with your premise. Last I checked, the players are the ones who actually win or lose a game. I don't believe Altman is a better coach than Self although his players certainly kicked KU's butt last night. And in case you didn't realize it, PICKLE has the same number of letters as KIDNEY.

Ok, I should have waited awhile to speak my mind.  Got it.  Will remember that next time. 

Just a pointer when analyzing a general point.  Never look at one game or season as a "sample size".  For example, I wouldn't say that Beilein out coached us to get the win in our final loss at home this year.  But I would say over the course of the past 5 years, when both guys have been coaching their respective teams, Beilein has consistently coached better than Miles and the results would back me up.

As far as Creighton?  I mentioned them as a prime example because it's relevant.  If it really bother you that much.  Get over it.  They are our rivals in the same geography and compete with us head-to-head in recruiting.  And, as far as sample size, well, I won't mention how Miles has done in that regard, I'm sure you're well aware unless your head is buried under some rock.

2 hours ago, PICKLE said:

Ok, I should have waited awhile to speak my mind.  Got it.  Will remember that next time. 

Just a pointer when analyzing a general point.  Never look at one game or season as a "sample size".  For example, I wouldn't say that Beilein out coached us to get the win in our final loss at home this year.  But I would say over the course of the past 5 years, when both guys have been coaching their respective teams, Beilein has consistently coached better than Miles and the results would back me up.

As far as Creighton?  I mentioned them as a prime example because it's relevant.  If it really bother you that much.  Get over it.  They are our rivals in the same geography and compete with us head-to-head in recruiting.  And, as far as sample size, well, I won't mention how Miles has done in that regard, I'm sure you're well aware unless your head is buried under some rock.

14 hours ago, PICKLE said:

I guess nobody else has an opinion on the gist of my points.  That's kinda disappointing, was hoping to spark some discussion instead of a barb like the comment 49er made.   Do y'all agree or disagree with my premise regarding coaching and constant NCAA tourney performance?

Okay I'll go.  I think we are okay If everybody stays healthy and the our scedule is easier.  I think bubble talk has a chance and NIT a lock, with a deep run in it.

I feel that with Lewis allowed to work with these guys for a full year our offense will be better and the new guys will help in the spots that we need.  Jordy will get big and stronger and develop a bit of a better inside game.  Might run a bit more.

Roby games will smooth out as he now knows what needs to be done all the time to be the best.  I think he was just never physically perfect all year and was kind of playing catch up.

They will have to change their idea of what hey are doing on defence.  I would hope that is the coaching staffs top priority.

If this all falls apart then we burn the whole thing to the ground and start over.

Really not much to worry about, just need to learn patience.:mellow:

Edited by Silverbacked1

Here is one true tidbit.  Coach Miles now has a very warm seat.  It is put up time this coming season.  We are playing a good schedule, we have an excellent league, we play against some of the best players and coaches in the nation, so the opportunity to break out is present.  We have elevated our talent.  Our offense appears in need of repairs, but it is because open looks are missed more than fundamental breakdowns.  Same with the defense, there seems to be individual breakdowns that create defensive lapses.

So...shots have to be made, defense has to improve.  I would like to see a bit more on-ball pressure, but we need some more guard depth, which may be coming.  If all of this occurs,  it will be due in part, to the power of coaching.

In comparing the Huskers to Mich, per ESPN stats, team FG shooting percentages were:

Michigan -- 48.3% (38.5% from 3) -- FT was 77.9%

Huskers -- 41.6% (32% from 3) -- FT was 71%

IMO we were (and still are) one consistent outside shooter away from being an NCAA team. I believe Miles that he HAD that shooter before AWII's transfer and GIll's injury. So I am thinking you must mean Miles should have kept AWIII from transferring and/or Gill from getting hurt.

If it is something else, please explain -- and try to be specific -- what Belein did as a coach that made his team such significantly better shooters so we can join you in urging Miles to do it.

Edited by KZRider

I didn't get to see all the Elite 8 (or more than 8-10 total) games but when I listened while on the road it sure seemed like all the teams wanted to push the ball up the floor. That has always frustrated me. The easiest shot in basketball is the lay-up but Miles doesn't like forcing offensive tempo. And there are a couple things (rebounding and forcing missed shots) that need to be done to do this and NU is inconsistent in these areas. And I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before but NU's ball handlers like to dribble the ball up the court rather than pass. Early pressure on the defense can open up shots for trailers as the defense tries to reset.

On 3/25/2017 at 9:14 AM, PICKLE said:

The problem as I see it, is that all of them have better coaching and subsequently, an identity.  They don't screw around with multitudes of lineups and rotations year over year.  They know who they are, and they consistently are in the tournament as a tough out. 

Different starting lineups 2016-17

Xavier: 9

Wichita St 8

Nebraska 6

Creighton 4

Iowa St. 3

Michigan 2 

Wisconsin 2  

St. Mary's 1

10 hours ago, rr52 said:

I didn't get to see all the Elite 8 (or more than 8-10 total) games but when I listened while on the road it sure seemed like all the teams wanted to push the ball up the floor. That has always frustrated me. The easiest shot in basketball is the lay-up but Miles doesn't like forcing offensive tempo. And there are a couple things (rebounding and forcing missed shots) that need to be done to do this and NU is inconsistent in these areas. And I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before but NU's ball handlers like to dribble the ball up the court rather than pass. Early pressure on the defense can open up shots for trailers as the defense tries to reset.

I agree...The defense that Miles seems to be very conservative...which is fine if you are going to have a fundamental team that will not make mistakes and are very efficient in half court offense...that type of defense is great when you are efficient on offense as every missed shot and turnover by your opponent is magnified.

8 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Different starting lineups 2016-17

Xavier: 9

Wichita St 8

Nebraska 6

Creighton 4

Iowa St. 3

Michigan 2 

Wisconsin 2  

St. Mary's 1

Would you please for the love of all that is good with college basketball stop using facts to make your point.

22 hours ago, PICKLE said:

MIles until this year had beaten Izzo pretty well.  Does this make him a better coach than Izzo? 

The Creighton argument I understand being a rival.  But CU didn't exactly get "coached" very well the final month of the year.  I know they lost Watson, but a GREAT coach finds a way to get by with what he has?  Oregon lost one of their top players and yet are still in the Final 4.  Maybe CU made a mistake letting that guy go?  Just some food for thought.

Welcome to the board Pickle. This can be a tough crowd for folks who aren’t big fans of the current head coach. He enjoys a lot of support here. I was personally very supportive of Miles until the end-of-the-year slide, after which he lost my support.

I was in the camp that was in favor of replacing Miles after the season. Given that this perspective was not shared by the AD, for whatever reason, he’s back for another year, and he’ll have my support. However, he’s now guilty until proven innocent to me instead of innocent until proven guilty, and this is an important distinction in terms of the mindset of a fan. I’ll be watching closely with a very critical eye going forward.

One thing that really bothers me about Miles is his inability to recruit shooters, or perhaps, more accurately, a lack of emphasis on recruiting shooters. Having watched a lot of college basketball this year, I feel now, more than ever, that the college game has essentially devolved into a three-point shooting contest, and the teams that lack shooters are bringing a knife to a gunfight.

I know we anticipated having AWIII on the roster last year, but even with him, the team was woefully lacking in shooters, and that’s a clear recipe for inconsistency from game to game. A team lacking multiple perimeter shooters in today’s game is not viable in my opinion. Similarly, a team that cannot defend perimeter shooters effectively is dead in the water, and Nebraska has been one of the worst defenses in the nation for two years now at defending shooters. The 2016-2017 season, to me, could be distilled down to one phrase: “couldn’t shoot the three, couldn’t defend the three.” That pretty much sums up the entire season in a nutshell as far as I’m concerned.

Can Miles right the ship next season? Time will tell. If we continue to defend the perimeter using the same strategy as the past two seasons, I expect us to be among the worst FG% defensive teams in the nation once again, and that will not get us to the Tournament. Likewise, if we have the same anemic shooting as we did last season, fans should forget about post-season play.

Like everyone here, I just want a good basketball team to follow. That’s one thing on which we all agree. As fans, I feel we have to be resolute in our refusal to accept mediocrity in our basketball program. The unfortunate reality is that most Husker fans only care about football and only demand accountability in that program. This phenomenon may have had a tangible impact on the AD’s decision to retain Miles.

The time has come for Miles and his staff to self-evaluate critically and make some real changes to the way they’re operating in a number of areas. There’s certainly some talent on the roster, though I’m not as high on that talent as I was prior to last season, and I’m not sure it’s necessarily superior to the talent on most of the other teams in the bottom half of the Conference.

The right coach can change the fortunes of a basketball program almost overnight. Just look at Northwestern. I once thought Miles was that coach. Now I’m far less certain. I’m willing to see what he and his staff can do next season, but the time for excuses is over. If they can’t get the team to the NCAA tournament next year, I feel we need to make a change and be prepared to throw a lot of money at the problem. I’m also concerned that Miles and his guys will face a real uphill battle in recruiting given their precarious position.