2017 Juco Chris Darrington -> Tennessee

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

Looks like the competition could be tougher here than for Copeland. Tennessee has offered, I've seen Virginia, Miss. St., Memphis and some mid-majors have shown interest.

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Article/JUCO-combo-guard-has-Tennessee-Vols-basketballs-attention-other--51919879

With instant playing time, I'd like to think at some point someone will say yes.  

59 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

volume shooter?

I think he can be what he needs to be--and I'd guess his team needed him to score. 

I liked his his range and the fact that he can penetrate and dish. We need that. Not to mention he's obviously quick.

He averaged 14 shots a game and 5 assists.

##  Player                    GP-GS  FG-FGA  Pct    3FG-FGA   Pct    FT-FTA    Pct    Off    Def   Tot    Avg    PF  FO   A    TO   Blk   Stl    Pts     Avg

32  Chris Darrington...  35-32   219-494   .443     90-209   .431   197-244    .807    14   102   116    3.3    77   1   178    81      7    19   725    20.7

1 hour ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

He averaged 14 shots a game and 5 assists.

##  Player                    GP-GS  FG-FGA  Pct    3FG-FGA   Pct    FT-FTA    Pct    Off    Def   Tot    Avg    PF  FO   A    TO   Blk   Stl    Pts     Avg

32  Chris Darrington...  35-32   219-494   .443     90-209   .431   197-244    .807    14   102   116    3.3    77   1   178    81      7    19   725    20.7

That is not too bad.  Just on a high light film of just one game...Looked a bit different.;)

The game against Indian Hills was interesting.  OK, they edit out all the missed shots, which is nice.  Makes him look extra good.  But you know the misses are there just because of his season shooting percentage.  He's not hitting them all.  But you can see where he gets his shots from.  He can score at all three levels.  He's really pretty good at penetrating and he can go to his left, which is nice.  I'd say he looks like he's as good at getting to the rack as anyone we currently have.

Second, he can shoot off the dribble and his mechanics on his jumper are superb.  He gets excellent elevation and has tremendous balance, so the shot is coming off clean instead of awkward or off-balance when he shoots mid-range off the dribble or when he catches moving forward on the three.  I'm convinced he can score.

Now, the question is can he play defense?  Because, otherwise, he doesn't see the floor to score.

28 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

The game against Indian Hills was interesting.  OK, they edit out all the missed shots, which is nice.  Makes him look extra good.  But you know the misses are there just because of his season shooting percentage.  He's not hitting them all.  But you can see where he gets his shots from.  He can score at all three levels.  He's really pretty good at penetrating and he can go to his left, which is nice.  I'd say he looks like he's as good at getting to the rack as anyone we currently have.

Second, he can shoot off the dribble and his mechanics on his jumper are superb.  He gets excellent elevation and has tremendous balance, so the shot is coming off clean instead of awkward or off-balance when he shoots mid-range off the dribble or when he catches moving forward on the three.  I'm convinced he can score.

Now, the question is can he play defense?  Because, otherwise, he doesn't see the floor to score.

Actually, against IHCC there weren't a lot of missed shots to edit out. He was 17/25 from the field. ?

And like you I love this kid off the dribble too! 

Edited by Jugular

I like his game, and think he could be a valuable addition to the team.  Obviously he would fill a big offensive hole.

That being said, I'm not exactly overjoyed by the prospect of having 58% of our roster comprised of juniors.  I shudder to think what the year would be like after those players all graduate.  Maybe he's a redshirt candidate, to put him in Jordy and Isaiah's class???  But that's probably a pipe dream.

20 minutes ago, HB said:

Don't tell Dakich he's definitely a better shooter than Evan Taylor.

Evan's got a nice outside shot when left wide open, which PSU did for long stretches in that game.  Put a hand in his face and his shot goes to hell in a hand-basket pretty quick, though.

18 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Evan's got a nice outside shot when left wide open, which PSU did for long stretches in that game.  Put a hand in his face and his shot goes to hell in a hand-basket pretty quick, though.

gill and taylor are both career 25% 3 pt shooters. there's a reason we've offered about 7 guards in the last 2 weeks.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:42 PM, MichHusker said:

Its clear the staff has identified a huge need and are looking everywhere to fill it

It couldn't have been hard to figure it out.

We had 8 guys attempts 3 pointers this year.  Three were over 30%; none were over 40% from long range.

We ranked 303rd in the nation in 3 point shooting accuracy.

We need guys who can drop long range bombs.  We need to be able to force defenses to cover our perimeter guys so that driving lanes open up.

We have two available spots.  I suspect we're looking for two really good shooters.

3 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

I don't think you try to recruit a guy in the same class as Watson with a similar game to Watson unless you don't think Watson is going to be back.  No inside info, just reading the tea leaves.

I think that is a done deal.. If Ed is leaving Watson won't be too far behind.

1 hour ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I think that is a done deal.. If Ed is leaving Watson won't be too far behind.

Don't bet on it.  Let things play out.  Ed leaving could be as simple as looking at the roster and seeing Isaac Copeland and Jordy as the probable front-line starters.

No need to hit the panic button just yet.  We had way too many stretch 4 types and needed more guards.