Craig Smith goes from S.D. to Drake, and now back to S.D.*

16 minutes ago, 49r said:

seems like a lateral move...

I said the same thing on our other thread.  Drake used to be a good program back in the day.  They used to be pretty darn good.  I lived in DSM during the time that they had Black Magic Lloyd, Pop Wright, Donnie Earl and a few other pretty good players.  As a matter of fact, Mike Naderer (ex-Husker) was an assistant there for a short time.  His wife belonged to the same club that I went to. 

Sharp has connections, so I'm sure he's been in the know this whole time. Sounds like USD got the money together to counter and keep him. Either way good for Coach Smith - seems like a good dude. 

Can't wait until 2025 when we make a run at a final 4 under Coach Smith and Asst. Coach Miles. 

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

I said the same thing on our other thread.  Drake used to be a good program back in the day.  They used to be pretty darn good.  I lived in DSM during the time that they had Black Magic Lloyd, Pop Wright, Donnie Earl and a few other pretty good players.  As a matter of fact, Mike Naderer (ex-Husker) was an assistant there for a short time.  His wife belonged to the same club that I went to. 

Many people forget that Moe Iba was also an assistant at Drake for a year after he left Lincoln, and before he got the TCU job.  

Anyway, Smith has now decided to stay at SDU.  

Edited by HB

12 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Quick quiz for the day. No fair looking it up.Did Drake ever go to the final four, T or F? Bonus points if they did ever get there: Who was their coach?cwg should be able to answer this and I will share my own tie to Drake when posting the answer in a couple of hours.

Going off the top of my head, I think Drake went to the NIT Final 4 around 1970 somewhere.  Can't remember who the coach or any of the players were.

42 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Quick quiz for the day. No fair looking it up.Did Drake ever go to the final four, T or F? Bonus points if they did ever get there: Who was their coach?cwg should be able to answer this and I will share my own tie to Drake when posting the answer in a couple of hours.

Oh yes they did.  Maury John was their coach and they had a player named Dolph Pullian or something like that.  He became a local broadcaster in DSM.  It was the late 60's...perhaps '68. 

Well played, men. Drake finished third in the NCAA in 1969, a couple of weeks before I got married. They were beaten by one of Wooden's UCLA teams by only 3 points and beat North Carolina for third place (when that game was actually played) by 20 points. (I had to look the scores up myself). One summer I played pickup basketball against John's son on many occasions. He proved to be one of those jerks who were no fun to play against, taking everything way too seriously and also taking every shot. Another interesting Drake fact: In '64 they tied for first in the Missouri Valley. They had a playoff game against Wichita State held at Allen Fieldhouse for some reason and it was packed by fans of both sides. Bulldogs had a player Billy Foster (as I recall) who had been given 6 fouls by a referee mistake in their first meeting. Shocker fans held up huge signs saying "That's One Billy" etc. with each foul and got into his head enough cause him to have a terrible game. Shockers then went to NCAA where they proceeded to give up 60+ points to Bill Bradley in the third place game which is still the NCAA tourney record I think.

Edited by jimmykc

I remember Maury John. But as ISU's coach.  I also remember cancer had cut his life short while at ISU.  I didn't realize he was at Drake and had such a solid record there.  Also looks like he had ISU on the rebound 'til his illness struck.  Such a shame, first of course, for his family.  But he might have been ISU's "Johnny Orr" if things had been different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maury_John