Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cipsucks

O.T. The passing of an icon

12 posts in this topic

To take a break from basketball, I want to mark the passing of the person who I think truly is  the "father" of rock and roll.  Chuck Berry.  He wrote all his songs, which were really, really good. He kicked ass on the guitar.  He had a great stage presence.  John Lennon once said, if you wanted to rename rock 'n' roll, you could call it Chuck Berry.

When I heard the news of his passing yesterday, I was really bummed even though he lived to be 90.  I'm sure Buddy Holly greeted him at the Pearly Gates and said "what took you so long?"  Chuck replies, "Me? Ask Keith Richards that in another 40 years."

So many Berry videos I could have posted, but I chose this classic to show what PBA ticketholders look like at a Husker game.  ;)  Check out the people behind Chuck.  RIP Mr. Berry!

Had to explain to my daughters (who are huge music fans) who Chuck Berry was...they sort of figured it out when I told them it was the huge song from the movie Back to the Future...

RIP Chuck.

gallery_8_1893_45661.jpg

Any idea who the white haired gentlemen on piano is behind him? That guy could play, too!

Great way to start my Monday, Cip. Now I'm ready to be up in the morning and off to school.By the way Jean Peck was actually at that performance. She was the one who gave three polite claps at the end.

50 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Great way to start my Monday, Cip. Now I'm ready to be up in the morning and off to school.By the way Jean Peck was actually at that performance. She was the one who gave three polite claps at the end.

Well played Jimmy!

Passing of an icon indeed.  One by one we are losing those that made the music of my youth.

Posted (edited)

On a brighter note, Antoine "Fats" Domino is still alive.Ditto "Little Richard" Penniman.

Edited by jimmykc

"All the cats wanna dance with, Sweet Little Sixteen". RIP Chuck and teach Beethoven the Duck Walk!

Saw him "live" back in 1990, he never traveled with a band and never took a check. Pre-dated anything that kids refer to today as "Old School."

and in a "truth is weirder than fiction" kind of way, Chuck Barris died yesterday.  I always loved The Gong Show.  RIP Chuck Barris: