Michigan

krazzykirk

Watching the Michigan vs Louisville game you saw a true team atmosphere. This team can shoot the 3 and take it inside.  This team is a very unselfish team. Even though Walton was 3-13 he was a team leader and led the team in rebounds.  Wagner was unstoppable in the 2nd half and Wilson made some key free throws.  Also think how Donnel and Duncan Robinson have accepted there roles they could probably start on 80 % of the Division 1 teams and most of last year Robinson team started .2 big 10 teams playing in Kansas City with Purdue and Michigan and possibly another if Michigan State beats Kansas.  I wish Nebraska played with that unselfishness.  Save a scholarship for Wingett or Chang hope they qualify and get that redshirt year and watch them develop.

This year the only playmakers were Tai and Glynn who could develop there own shot. Teams keyed on them and they became battered and bruises.There were glimpses of Jordy an Ed.  Next year there will be 4 transfers within  the top 11 players how they mesh with the other players and there injuries will be important.  By big 10 season next year starts I expect either Nana or Roby to start.  I hope Roby develops into his body.

I can guarantee that Nebraska had one of the least amount of assists in the Big 10.  Who is going to be that 2nd or 3rd playmaker next year? Here's hoping we can maybe steal a recruit from the coaching turnover at Indiana or Illinois.

Michigan was also 14 - 9 at one point.  They are dominated by upperclassmen.  Walton, Donnal, Robinson, and Irvin are seniors.  Abdul-Rakman and Wilson are juniors.  We have to get better at defending the 3 point line.  If we don't, we are not going to win.  Teams shot 39.9 % against us from 3.  That can't happen.  Even Michigan found that out.  They were dead last after 23 games defending the 3.  They allowed teams to shoot 41.2% during that time.  After that point, they are 11-2, actually now 12-2.  Going into the Louisville game, in the last 13 games, teams were shooting 32.2% from 3. 

If defense gets better, we are able to shoot better, we should make the tournament.

When I went to NU/UM game I couldn't figure out how they were on the NCAA tourney bubble. Watching them warm-up I was worried that NU would get blown out but figured (wrongly) that NU would show up to play and Michigan would play below their heads. Unfortunately they were just warming up. They looked very athletic and just happen to be playing their best basketball of the year right now. 

This is a team that is the opposite of us.  They use the 3 point line well and understand the importance of defending it.  They understand how to develop players.  They become better shooters over time.  They are well coached.  They get better in relation to the competition throughout the season.  They are good.  All things I want is to be.  They are one of the blueprints I would like to try to emulate.  Coach is not only awesome but also an awesome individual.  

12 minutes ago, royalfan said:

This is a team that is the opposite of us.  They use the 3 point line well and understand the importance of defending it.  They understand how to develop players.  They become better shooters over time.  They are well coached.  They get better in relation to the competition throughout the season.  They are good.  All things I want is to be.  They are one of the blueprints I would like to try to emulate.  Coach is not only awesome but also an awesome individual.  

Something to keep in mind should we need to go shopping next year.  Would love to have Beilein-esque or Beilein himself.  However, if we're hitting reboot I'd rather see us go uptempo if possible. 

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

Michigan:

Experience: 2.05 yrs 61

Nebraska:

Experience: 1.32 yrs 289

5 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Something to keep in mind should we need to go shopping next year.  Would love to have Beilein-esque or Beilein himself.  However, if we're hitting reboot I'd rather see us go uptempo if possible. 

I miss the Danny Nee/Billy Tubbs matchups when each team would regularly hit 100. People have discussed "Identity" or are lack thereof & I for one would love to see us open it up and push the tempo. Of course that implies making shots and getting rebounds. While we might not have the ballers of a Loyola Marymount, or UNLV circa 1990, it would seem a style recruits would warm up to as well as the fans.

51 minutes ago, 49r said:

by the way, about six weeks ago, most Michigan fans would have had pretty heated arguments with anyone that tried to tell them their team was "well coached"...

So what you're saying is they caught lightning in a bottle similar to what some here say we did the year we made the dance!  :D

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I miss the Danny Nee/Billy Tubbs matchups when each team would regularly hit 100. People have discussed "Identity" or are lack thereof & I for one would love to see us open it up and push the tempo. Of course that implies making shots and getting rebounds. While we might not have the ballers of a Loyola Marymount, or UNLV circa 1990, it would seem a style recruits would warm up to as well as the fans.

Only problem is that this is the toughest league in the nation to run and push the tempo in.  The coaches are just so damn good that it makes it very tough.  Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to run and get easy baskets.  While South Carolins offense looks like the Showtime Lakers in comparison, they are challenged offensively.  They try to get as many transition hoops as possible to counter it.  We should do this too, as all teams should.  

3 hours ago, 49r said:

by the way, about six weeks ago, most Michigan fans would have had pretty heated arguments with anyone that tried to tell them their team was "well coached"...

29 minutes ago, royalfan said:

That is a bunch of bs.  "Most" Michigan fans know now and knew then that they have an excellent coach.  

I will say that I've got a friend (who's from Michigan and an avid fan) who told me in January that they were an NIT team at best. I made sure to repeat that back to him when they won the conference championship.

35 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I will say that I've got a friend (who's from Michigan and an avid fan) who told me in January that they were an NIT team at best. I made sure to repeat that back to him when they won the conference championship.

Exactly.  It does not matter the team... If things are going good, you love the coach.  If things are going bad, you want something new.

6 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

If you're looking for some easy eye candy on the web, start Google stalking images of Billy Tubb's daughter.  Yow-za!