Iowa State

I see a lot of posters wishing we could model ourselves after Wisconsin - what about Iowa State? There's absolutely zero reason I would accept that validates why Iowa State has had so much more bball success than us. 

Fun style of play. Electric players. Coaches who take second chances on kids and chances on kids who don't fit a perfect mold. 

Iowa State plays some fun basketball. 

30 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I don't think the Wisconsin conversation has ever been about style of play.

Sure. It can be just about results. But if you want to be like Wisconsin you've gotta play and recruit like Wisconsin - and my other point was that you can't tell me an excuse for why Iowa State is better. Wisconsin has a lot more talent in their recruiting radius.  

Iowa State has a longer tradition of winning going back to Johnny Orr.  I do think they are going to plunge a long way unless they bring in some big time players.  Wisconsin is like their football team, they know who they are.  I would love to be as successful as the Badgers or Cyclones.

13 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Sure. It can be just about results. But if you want to be like Wisconsin you've gotta play and recruit like Wisconsin - and my other point was that you can't tell me an excuse for why Iowa State is better. Wisconsin has a lot more talent in their recruiting radius.  

Again, I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone say they want to be like Wisconsin in terms of how they play. It's more about the notion that they were once a terrible program and built it into a consistent winner. That's what people reference, not the style of play.

Is Iowa State better? Wisconsin has been better more consistently the last two decades and have gone a lot deeper in the tournament than the Clones have.

3 hours ago, nebrasketball10 said:

The Cyclones have more history, and there is more in-state talent... but I generally agree. 

Also, for those in the crowd atmosphere thread, I've been to Hilton about ten times over the years, and they've always had a pretty outstanding atmosphere. 

From 1965-1981 they finished over .500 5 times.  Then they hired Johnny Orr away from Michigan, and they've been to the NCAAs 18 times out of the last 33 years.

9 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Is Iowa State better? Wisconsin has been better more consistently the last two decades and have gone a lot deeper in the tournament than the Clones have.

Nope. Well, maybe, but I agree with you. 

I think that's my point though - I'd still trade Iowa State's bball success over the past 20 years with ours. And there's nothing anyone can tell me that would make me believe we couldn't emulate their success. 

Obviously, the problem is Adidas and we should have Nike like they do ??

18 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

From 1965-1981 they finished over .500 5 times.  Then they hired Johnny Orr away from Michigan, and they've been to the NCAAs 18 times out of the last 33 years.

I knew they hired him from Michigan; I didn't know how. From Wikipedia:

Orr joined the Iowa State Cyclones in 1980. The move came about when the Iowa State athletic director called him to inquire about Orr's assistant, Bill Frieder. When Orr learned how much Iowa State was willing to pay Frieder, Orr negotiated the job for himself. Frieder then succeeded Orr at Michigan.