Agau's Salty

dskurz

5 hours ago, cipsucks said:

No malicious intent here, but when it comes to basketball, just what the hell does the university or coach stand for?  I'd love to know.

Maybe it's a poor choice of words, but I was alluding toward finding players who have good chemistry with the team, respect their coaching staff's philosophies and decisions, have a team-first mentality, and have a strong work ethic. It's players even like Ubel who earned so much respect from fans because of this.

Miles made comments about this even as early as his inagural press conference where he wanted players who were proud to wear red and play for a good University in a good conference.

Players like Biggs and "Player 1" were just not a good fit, became a drain to our culture, and set us back in many ways.

UConn wants him pretty badly apparently and out of high school that was his "Dream" school but I'd like to see him at UNL. 

At the end of the day everyone on this board should care about one thing and one thing only: can he help us win games? In my opinion, the answer is yes. So go get him, regardless of the other bs that happened with him.

9 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Maybe it's a poor choice of words, but I was alluding toward finding players who have good chemistry with the team, respect their coaching staff's philosophies and decisions, have a team-first mentality, and have a strong work ethic. It's players even like Ubel who earned so much respect from fans because of this.

Miles made comments about this even as early as his inagural press conference where he wanted players who were proud to wear red and play for a good University in a good conference.

Players like Biggs and "Player 1" were just not a good fit, became a drain to our culture, and set us back in many ways.

Yep.  We've had talent the last few years, but not been able to do anything with it.  Not sure if that's because we can't retain players long enough for them to develop within the system, or if it's because of bad chemistry and lack of leadership.  Probably a combination of all of the above.  And adding a talented player with commitment issues and only one year of eligibility doesn't appear to help us from a development, chemistry, or leadership standpoint. 

Before taking Akoy, I'd want to sit down with him and say "Look, I really think you could help our team out next year...maybe even be a starter.  But playing here is a privilege, not a right.  If all you get is 5 minutes a game, would you still be willing to give 100% in practice everyday?  Would you help lead our young players, even if they're ahead of you on the depth chart?  Does coming home to play for your state's flagship institution mean something to you?"  And if he can look me in the eye,  say yes to all three questions, and convince me of his sincerity...well, then welcome aboard Akoy.

Take him in a heartbeat. What the heck does either party have to lose at this point? He'd likely get plenty of minutes or at least have lots of opportunity to earn them. If I'm Agau, it's either here (where I could get exposure at a Power 5 school and minutes) or go to a smaller school with more "guaranteed" time. The guy needs to get some on court experience and exposure that is on tape somewhere. For him personally, he needs minutes and game experience in college.

This coming year could be one of the most interesting in some time ... if Miles can pull something off kudos to him, but I'm certainly not expecting it.

Like many of you on here, I can definitely see the +'s and -'s of this potential acquisition. I guess I look at it like this: much like Benedict Arnold III, Akoy would be on his 3rd school, which is typically a huge red flag IMO. However, with him being a local kid, this could serve as that "coming home" moment where the wrongs are made right. I believe that his tweet about Northwestern making us the only P5 school without an NCAA win showed that he wants to see that change, showing that he cares about the Husker program. And while he might be fabricating the "never recruited me" story, I think that part also shows that part of him does truly care and that he potentially wants to help us lose the 0-7 title. Lastly, this is his final shot.

Edited by jason2486

2 hours ago, Section_316 said:

He is "open" to Nebraska per Washut

Nebraska has "contacted" him per Washut

I have 3 sisters.

Two of them are here in the midwest, the other one lives out on the East Coast.

For years the East Coast sister lived a pretty terrible life but remained on the East Coast because that's the sort of place she wanted to be at. (Life did get better)

My parents always hope she'll move back to somewhere in the Midwest but I know her well enough to know that she's most likely never moving back here.

That's what I wonder about Akoy Agau.  Is he the type of guy where at the end of the day values the flash of a Louisville, Georgetown, Uconn, Indiana, UCLA, Syracuse, Memphis, etc...schools with basketball prestige and tradition or school with prestigious coaches highly?  I think Agau likes the staff and school well enough and would do well here. I can almost guarantee you that if he puts out a list of schools we will be on it. At the end of the day is Agau simply going to pass because this isn't the sort of scene he wants to be at?  I don't personally know Agau but that's a bit of the impression that I get.

3 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Did we even talk with him after he left Louisville or did Miles tell him at that point you didn't come to start we are not a fall back place?

We absolutely were recruiting him then though we didn't let him take us hostage. I believe we had one open scholarship at mid-season and we were looking at Agau and McVeigh for it.  Agau was either dragging his feet or wasn't going to commit here.  We got the commit from McVeigh.

BTW, Miles was recruiting Agau back at Colorado St.

This has been hashed through a million times but a summary of what I remember with the recruitment of Agau after he left Louisville. Miles gave him a second chance to come home. Gave him the keys to the palace. Agau made several visits to the basketball offices/practice facility. Agau showed interest but was either taking his sweet ole time or had no legitimate intention whatsoever to come here. Finally, Agau showed up at the practice facility sporting Georgetown gear and Miles had to kick him out. But yes Miles gave him every opportunity to play for Nebraska (the second time around).

1 minute ago, ajb5856 said:

This has been hashed through a million times but a summary of what I remember with the recruitment of Agau after he left Louisville. Miles gave him a second chance to come home. Gave him the keys to the palace. Agau made several visits to the basketball offices/practice facility. Agau showed interest but was either taking his sweet ole time or had no legitimate intention whatsoever to come here. Finally, Agau showed up at the practice facility sporting Georgetown gear and Miles had to kick him out. But yes Miles gave him every opportunity to play for Nebraska (the second time around).

Sounds like a lot to take on.  Certainly a lot of pros and cons with this move if we were to go for it or not.  Right now I believe we have a shot at doing something productive next year.  With the players we currently have, we do have a shot.  Will Agau help or hurt that is the biggest question.  Certainly the "on the floor" aspect of Agau should help out some, but does the "off the floor" stuff and attitude cause more harm than good?  Big judgement call right now.

1 hour ago, ajb5856 said:

Sorry there is a thread on the Scout board and he is hammering Miles about not recruiting him and how Miles headed to New Zealand the first day on the job.  Just wanted to get the story.