Practice Balls

hhcmatt

An article breaking down Lonzo Ball's funky shot takes notice that his % might be helped by UCLA using Wilson brand balls.

https://theringer.com/lonzo-ball-ucla-shooting-mechanics-6eeda2ef3e41#.el9k8pq9q

“You don’t go to the Clippers’ stadium and play with a Nike and then go to Golden State and play with a Rawlings,” Wisconsin forward Nigel Hayes toldThe Los Angeles Times. I talked to various scouts, executives, trainers, and players about college balls, and the feedback is generally that Adidas and Under Armour balls are slippery, while Nike and Wilson balls have more grip. “At OSU, we had batches of balls for every team we were playing,” The Ringer’s Mark Titus, who played four years at Ohio State, told me. “So if we had a game coming up at Wisconsin, we’d bust out their shitty Sterling balls and use those throughout the entire practice. There is unquestionably an adjustment period though, for all the reasons you’d think.”

I'm pretty sure we use Adidas balls. Do we also have a different groups of practice balls based on what different teams are using?

Speaking of Spalding, the NBA has a pretty lucrative agreement in place with them to provide balls and goal standards...I'm not able to find the details of the current deal...but if the B1G were to go that direction (which is fine with me) would it also include goal standards?  Because that would lock out Schielde sports (now Bison inc), a Lincoln company, in that regard.  I know they have goal standards at PBA as well as the Breslin Center and potentially a few other venues in the B1G...

3 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

An article breaking down Lonzo Ball's funky shot takes notice that his % might be helped by UCLA using Wilson brand balls.

https://theringer.com/lonzo-ball-ucla-shooting-mechanics-6eeda2ef3e41#.el9k8pq9q

I'm pretty sure we use Adidas balls. Do we also have a different groups of practice balls based on what different teams are using?

Yes, they use the ball they'll use in games leading up to road trips.

On 3/23/2017 at 1:04 PM, Handy Johnson said:

Nothing was better than an old broken in Wilson Jet.

And nothing was worse than the brand new, fresh out of the box, super slick balls the state made us use when you played districts, regionals and state tournament with. I remember every year hearing the state tournament play-by-play guy saying after every ball that went through someone's hands, or a mis-dribble, or just an ugly shot, "Just a case of the nerves." And I would yell at the TV (I was more high-strung back then), "It's not nerves! It's the freaking slick ball they just took out of the box.

4 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

And nothing was worse than the brand new, fresh out of the box, super slick balls the state made us use when you played districts, regionals and state tournament with. I remember every year hearing the state tournament play-by-play guy saying after every ball that went through someone's hands, or a mis-dribble, or just an ugly shot, "Just a case of the nerves." And I would yell at the TV (I was more high-strung back then), "It's not nerves! It's the freaking slick ball they just took out of the box.

I hated those brand new out of the box Wilson Jets. Once they got worked in they were fine, but man they were slippery out of the box. Could never understand why they would use a slick brand new ball for games or district games.

42 minutes ago, rr52 said:

Not sure if Baiden ever got things corrected but when they first got the contract for Nebraska state tourney there were lots of complaints about the balls. They were slick and would separate after just a couple games.

Many schools had to send  the balls back because they would become oblong after just a few  practices. I think they have improved the quality of the ball but many felt the NSAA made a huge mistake with that contract.

7 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Many schools had to send  the balls back because they would become oblong after just a few  practices. I think they have improved the quality of the ball but many felt the NSAA made a huge mistake with that contract.

The Baidens we've used for the past two years have been perfectly fine. Little slick out of the box, but worn in they're just fine. Definitely not the reason my guys can't shoot or dribble ;)

I'm a fan of the old school Spaldings myself but who knows....

3 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Slightly Off-Topic: Did anyone here ever play in the York High School gym when they had the "Tartan" court? It was sorta kinda rubberized and believed to be cost effective at the time. Can't say that I was a fan.

We had a rubber gym at Northeast.  It's where all the intramural games were held (and a lot of practices).

1 minute ago, Handy Johnson said:

Slightly Off-Topic: Did anyone here ever play in the York High School gym when they had the "Tartan" court? It was sorta kinda rubberized and believed to be cost effective at the time. Can't say that I was a fan.

I was never on that floor but Midland, Doane and Kearney's Junior High had the same type of floor. (among others) It was suppose to be next big thing but I think it was determined that the tartan floor caused knee injuries and were not easy to keep clean and in good condition.