Coach Williams notes

Merlin

I am disappointed that the article didnt mention Grace Mitchell. She didn't get the minutes of those mentioned, but I thought effort was always evident and her play was always solid.  She was usually guarding bigger opponents but i thought that she often out worked them.  I look forward to seeing her contributions in years to come

19 hours ago, redsteve said:

For those that read the article online, did you read the comment left by Darryl Cobbs at the end of the article?

34 minutes ago, Row6Seat10 said:

For those that read the article online, did you read the comment left by Darryl Cobbs at the end of the article?

Hmmm, his comments on the previous coach not recruiting Class A talent in the state is off base.  Vonnie Turner and Dominique Kelly among others would disagree.  Plus, would he want us to not have Emily Cady start over 100 games because she was Class B?  Or that Chartrice White wouldn't  have helped since she played at Shelby?  And, of course, a WNBA player in Hooper, who was a dreaded Class B player!   Sure, we have missed some (Kastaneks and KK Houser as examples), but we had a lot of instate players over the years contribute significantly, way more than with the men's program.  

Thankfully, the in state talent of B1G caliber players are more available for women's BB than for men's.  Indeed, Yori had her share of both Class A and other class players contribute significantly during her time.  And of course we have had others from Nebraska in various classes succeed in the Big 8- Big 12 eras for different coaches.

10 hours ago, HB said:

Hmmm, his comments on the previous coach not recruiting Class A talent in the state is off base.  Vonnie Turner and Dominique Kelly among others would disagree.  Plus, would he want us to not have Emily Cady start over 100 games because she was Class B?  Or that Chartrice White wouldn't  have helped since she played at Shelby?  And, of course, a WNBA player in Hooper, who was a dreaded Class B player!   Sure, we have missed some (Kastaneks and KK Houser as examples), but we had a lot of instate players over the years contribute significantly, way more than with the men's program.  

Just out of curiously I looked up the D-1 school in Omaha to see how many Omaha metro players they had on their roster this past season and much to the dismay of Darryl they 15 players on their roster and only had 1 player from Omaha, Brianna Rollerson and she was hurt much of her time so she didn't get to see the court as much as she would have liked. They also had Lauren Works from Lincoln Southwest, and the other Nebraska kid listed on their roster was the Kissinger girl from Class C-1 Minden that transferred last season from Illinois. Creighton, by the way had 6 kids on their roster from Minnesota. 

Omaha the other D-1 team in Omaha had 14 players on their roster and only 2 representing the great state of Nebraska. 1 from the Omaha metro Jay Bridgeman and the other is Mikeala Shaw from Class C-2 Sandy Creek. Four from Missouri. 

On 3/23/2017 at 10:42 AM, HB said:

Kastanek girls were never going to play for Coach Yori. They wanted to get out of town. 

2 hours ago, dlrrk said:

I'm violating my own rule with respect to (WRT) posting.  However, this is an unusual circumstance that took us all by surprise. 

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF):  Blackburn is staying at Nebraska. 

It's not my place to say what she thinks with respect to (WRT) Miss Shepard's departure.  If they care, the press will have to ask her.  

I'm not sure how her knees really feel.

I know she has a burning desire to play. 

Great to hear that Blackburn is staying!!  Good to hear from you.  May God bless the Blackburn family.

3 hours ago, dlrrk said:

I'm violating my own rule with respect to (WRT) posting.  However, this is an unusual circumstance that took us all by surprise. 

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF):  Blackburn is staying at Nebraska. 

It's not my place to say what she thinks with respect to (WRT) Miss Shepard's departure.  If they care, the press will have to ask her.  

I'm not sure how her knees really feel.

I know she has a burning desire to play. 

Thank you for posting dlrrk

I've been saying it all year....we hope your daughter gets well and returns as soon as possible. The team needs her leadership....and saying it not because of Shepard leaving. (JS leaving may even help team attitude)

"Burns" ..if she still responds to that nick name ...has always been enthusiastically welcomed to NU, for her value as a great team mate, positive attitude, and even better person.

Enough said. 

Edited by redsteve