Jeriah Horne will transfer

15 hours ago, nustudent said:

While his percentages weren't good (relative), I never felt he was a bad shooter.   Weird way to say it, but I never felt bad about him taking a shot.   Where as I didn't feel that way about others.   Similar to Glynn his freshman year.

I think it's the amount of confidence he displayed shooting.  Same thing with Glynn. 

15 hours ago, brfrad said:

(Removed because this thing is giant and has been quoted a few times)

4/13 turned into really good players.

4/13 turned into role players.

5/13 transferred

I don't have time or energy to go through every school, but I'm going to guess most schools like us, would show similar results with regards to high school players.

The question I would have is at what point did we start recruiting these guys?

I posted when we offered our freshmen class in a different thread

Jordy Tshimanga - 6/18/2014

Isaiah Roby - 7/27/2014

Jeriah Horne - 6/24/2015

Some thoughts

1. The longer we can recruit a guy the more likely he is to stick around. Tarin Smith, Bakari Evelyn, and now Jeriah Horne.  3 guys we picked up relatively late in the game and 3 guys that aren't around anymore. Smith and Horne didn't like the amount or playing time. Bakari was a powerball ticket that didn't pay out.

2. The longer we can recruit guys the more likely we're able to land better players. We don't have the brand of a traditional powerhouse. We don't $woop in and grab top level players at the end. It would seem that we gravitate towards players that keep out of trouble.  It's really helpful if they live in the geography of the BTN. This limits your pool of players.

3. We talk about assistant changes as part of our problems on the court.  Would we have the same sort of highly touted players on our roster today with our original lineup of Craig Smith, Chris Harriman, and Ben Johnson? (I don't know). Is our current lineup better at identifying guys like Jacobson, Roby, (maybe Nana) who aren't recruited heavily by Power 5 teams?

Doesn't seem like we did a great job at recruiting HS guys early on. It seems like we're getting better at it.

Edited by hhcdimes
Wrong year on Horne

26 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Doesn't seem like we did a great job at recruiting HS guys early on. It seems like we're getting better at it.

I was truly on the fence about Miles at the end of the year but here's how I framed it in my mind. (Unfortunately, it is the same way I framed keeping Pelini for a year too long and while that doesn't really help my argument, in the interest of full disclosure...)

When Miles was hired, he had no experience recruiting or coaching at this level. Consequently, he and the staff he put together were unprepared to identify and recruit the talent needed to compete. Like it or not, the first couple of years were "on the job training". Nebraska's administration made the decision to hire him and had to know on some level this would be the case.

Catching lightning in a bottle in year 2 changed the perception of the experience gap that remained with Miles and his staff. However, it would appear over the past couple of years, he has adjusted, hired different staff and refined his approach to identifying and recruiting talent. Is he all the way there at this point? Not likely, but it would be hard to argue that Miles hasn't been improving in these areas over time.

In a crude way, it is a philosophy of investment and successful investing comes with a long-term mindset. NU made the initial investment, the early years were lost due to "training" and now it appears the recruiting component is improving. While we may not have expected the "lost years" early on (although we should have), the long-term investment thesis remains intact. 

Edited by demone

19 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Dimes I think we started recruiting Horne sooner than that.  Only say this because I went and watched him at the state tournament in March of last year since he had verballed to us.

(Edit: Nevermind... I see what your saying.)  Either way, he was not one of our "first options" it looks like.  However, if he had wanted to, I feel like he could have put in the time and effort to be a solid contributor.

Edited by hskr4life

14 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Dimes I think we started recruiting Horne sooner than that.  Only say this because I went and watched him at the state tournament in March of last year since he had verballed to us.

Oof. Keyed that in wrong. Thanks

1 hour ago, demone said:

In a crude way, it is a philosophy of investment and successful investing comes with a long-term mindset. NU made the initial investment, the early years were lost due to "training" and now it appears the recruiting component is improving. While we may not have expected the "lost years" early on (although we should have), the long-term investment thesis remains intact. 

It's a nice thought, and I hope you are right.  But I fear the momentum Miles and his staff gained through a learning curve might get overwhelmed by recruit's perception that Miles will be on his way out a year from now.  I am hoping we see recruiting this summer that surpasses Doc's 5th summer of recruiting (Shields, Parker, and 3 JUCOs that never made it to campus).

Edited by HuskerCager

10 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

It's a nice thought, and I hope you are right.  But I fear the momentum Miles and his staff gained through a learning curve might get overwhelmed by recruit's perception that Miles will be on his way out a year from now.  I am hoping we see recruiting this summer that surpasses Doc's 5th summer of recruiting (Shields, Parker, and 3 JUCOs that never made it to campus).

I'd take a Shields/Parker duo if each would live up to what they previously did.

37 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

Shields was a legacy we beat out Wyoming and Weber St for (Beckner!)

Apparently we beat out Creighton for Benny along with Murray St and Buffalo.

Beating this bandaid on top of duct tape on top of a bullet wound as any standard isn't going to be enough nor should it.

14 hours ago, HF_ said:

Steals was also equal per 40 minutes between freshman and soph years at 1.2.  At least be accurate in your attempts to correct somebody.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/michael-jacobson-1.html

Per 40 minute tab.  You're welcome!

I am accurate when looking at the season total and per game average. I'm not going to micro analysis his minutes per 40 min or per 100 possessions. 

You were looking for something to prove your point. You found it and then you cheery picked the data. You want to know why he plays, you can see it in the numbers.

He plays because he hustles. Where he is lacking is in making that 10-15 footer. Something for him to work on in the off season.

15 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Penn State loses 2 to transfers so far.... but that only happens at Nebraska, so must be FAKE NEWS.

Two grad transfers who were role players. They just cleared two more scholarships and a couple of guys got their degrees.

No need to get upset about this stuff on here...HHC has people who pay attention to basketball.

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Shields was a legacy we beat out Wyoming and Weber St for (Beckner!)

Apparently we beat out Creighton for Benny along with Murray St and Buffalo.

Beating this bandaid on top of duct tape on top of a bullet wound as any standard isn't going to be enough nor should it.

Shields grew two or three inches after we signed him.  If Horne had grown two or three inches after we signed him, we would probably be playing today or tomorrow.

Just now, swmckewon said:

Nobody says it only happens at Nebraska. 

There was a hint of sarcasm in that post... if you didn't catch it.

Obviously it does not only happen at Nebraska (over 700 transfers last year alone).

However, some reactions that I have seen were a little much for only losing two role players here at NU which happens at most colleges across the nation.