Jeriah Horne will transfer

7 minutes ago, Jugular said:

You can teach defense to a certain degree but like rebounding, it's a mindset. You have to want to be a good defender. I don't know how much Jeriah wanted to be a good defender at this time. I'm sure his ego was pumped so much the last few years about his offensive talent that that became his identity. Coach Lewis tells a good story about when he went to Indiana and how his identity changed. He scores over 2000 points in his high school career and is one of the top scorers in the history of Indiana HS hoops. And Knight told him he had guys that could score. He needed him to do other things. 

While true, much rather try to get a skilled guy to buy in than not.   Also that mindset argument could probably be applied to others on the squad too 

3 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Do you have any evidence of "mind games" or is just a hunch? Do you have any idea about what went on in the off-season to develope Tai as a player? I know boards like this are for people's opinions and speculation but reality should matter (at least in sports if not in politics). There just seems to be a lot of people (you on the other hand stated yours as  an opinion from the beginning) ) that state an opinion and then go forward acting as if it is cannon law. 

I don't think I'm acting like what I'm saying is canon law. This is a message board and people exchange opinions. This is just merely my perception. I watch all interviews, read all I can, and just observe what I observe - body language, etc. Reading the Nebrasketball book a while back gives some perspective as well. I'm not saying I'm right, just saying that's my opinion.

Edited by Husker4theSpurs

5 hours ago, nustudent said:

I don't think losing Horne is a make or break deal for us.   But I don't think it is a good thing.  

While his percentages weren't good (relative), I never felt he was a bad shooter.   Weird way to say it, but I never felt bad about him taking a shot.   Where as I didn't feel that way about others.   Similar to Glynn his freshman year.

Much has been made about his body and defense.   While it is true that he was not a good defender, we also have upperclassmen that the same can be said about.  Give me a skilled offensive guy over defender any day.   You can teach a guy to play defense.   Especially when the guy has to reshape and transform himself.   Let's keep in mind, he's not a wing or at least has never really played it before.   We recruited him with that body type.   There were going to be growing pains with him in adjusting to a different style/position.

I certainly think we can replace him.  I also think he's a guy with some skills.   And we don't have enough of them.   On the surface right now, it doesn't appear we need him...but one unexpected transfer and/or set back on Copeland's back injury suddenly makes him a need again.   Long story short....I'd just assume have him as not.   Odds are, we aren't replacing him with someone better this offseason.

I wish him luck and hope like heck we can find someone to replace him.

You can't say the same thing about upperclassmen none of them are as bad of defender's.  If you come back with McVeigh I will no longer value your opinion.  His ability to double team out of the post was significantly underated.

Edited by jdw

4 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Honestly... there is not anything that Horne did that we cannot at least replicate with a combo of 

Copeland/Palmer/Nana

Just saying.

I think you are right, but we are basing that on people who haven't even seen the court here including one who just had back surgery. One of the consistencies of the Miles era has been to write off any losses in personnel to being able to replace them with whomever is coming in. Tarin Smith would've been a nice player to have the past few years.

2 hours ago, brfrad said:

Shields (solid.  T-5th all time in scoring)

Parker (role player)

Vucetic (not very good.  Reach)

1/3 contributing is probably about the national average.

Webster (2nd team All Big 10 his senior year)

Fuller (role player)

Hawkins (has not turned into the player we thought)

Another 1/3

T Smith (pretty solid year for Duquense.)

Hammond (recruited for size.  Couldn't find his way on the court)

Bad year.  0/2

Evelyn (transferred after 1 year.  Reach)

Watson (solid contributions in his 1st 2 years)

Morrow (injuries, but solid contributions in 1st 2 years)

Jacobson (role player)

McVeigh (role player)

2/5 will probably be solid players

Roby (limited time as a freshmen.  Poised to have a solid career)

Jordy (showed flashes.  Could be one of the better high schoolers, Miles recruited)

Horne (showed flashes.  Wish he would have stayed)

Jury still out.  Hopefully finish with 2/3 solid players.

4/13 turned into really good players.

4/13 turned into role players.

5/13 transferred

I don't have time or energy to go through every school, but I'm going to guess most schools like us, would show similar results with regards to high school players.

So out of Miles' first 6 high school recruits ... one will finish out his eligibility here (Tai). Yes, It has improved after the first few years but that's not a very good track record early on.

8 minutes ago, jdw said:

You can't say the same thing about upperclassmen none of them are as bad of defender's.  If you come back with McVeigh I will no longer value your opinion.  His ability to double team out of the post was significantly underated.

They might not be as bad of defender's but we have our fair share of guys who routinely got lost/beaten defensively.  Let's stop pretending that Horne was the only one who struggled.   And considering some of the variables (freshman. position change/adjustment) that's understandable.  And yes...McVeigh is not a good defender.   Has decent length.  But not quick, explosive or strong.  

5 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

So out of Miles' first 6 high school recruits ... one will finish out his eligibility here (Tai). Yes, It has improved after the first few years but that's not a very good track record early on.

This will probably end up being his undoing.   The swings and misses here caused depth, inexperience issues and lesser talented guys like a Parker to play further into Miles tenure than they shouldve.   He's upgraded the talent, but the fact he missed early and now also isnt having success with the better talent bases are things you can't combine.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

The biggest knock on Collier and Sadler was their inability to recruit. When it comes to Nebraska Basketball I'm willing to suffer a few losing seasons while we upgrade talent and real depth. 

- The coaches where either fired, in the case of Nee, and Sadler or got out of the coaching business all together. Nebraska has become a coaching grave yard. We tend to give a coach about 6yrs. Can't blame other people such as assistants or players for leaving. Who wants to stick around a losing program.

- On my list of concerns for TM, recruiting isn't one of them. TM has proven success with transfers. Frankly we are not in a position where we can be that picky.

- We could use combo guard or pg with one of the 2 open scholarships. I agree that our shooting has been horrible. The STATS bear that out.

- This season our defense was horrible. I believe he will get that fixed.

- Losing a lot gives off the appearance of lack of buy in, locker room troubles, etc. There is also a psychological component when it comes to fans who want a coach fired. It makes it easier to fire a coach when you perceive a personality fall. It is easier to feel good about firing a coach when a person perceives a personality flaw in that coach. The personality flaw against Doc was that he was a yeller. 

- Motion offense is run by a lot of teams. We are just poor at executing it. Shots are there we just aren't hitting them.

I hear it all the time that a coach is to rigid, won't change his ways. Of course when coach uses different techniques and he isn't successful it is said he lacks consistency.

You have your opinion and I have mine. I believe that we are doomed for failure if we continue to fire coaches every 6yrs. At some point we have to establish some stability. The problem is that once fans make up their mind about a coach or player they will stick to that believe. Every loss is looked at with a microscope. It seems that a portion of the fan base isn't happy unless they are talking about firing coaches. They make snap judgements early on and then look for, or even make up, reasons to validate their opinion. I'm sick of the coaching carousel. Miles is recruiting well and I am willing to ride this out for a few more years if necessary although I know that TM doesn't have a few more years. 

The biggest knock on Collier and Sadler was their inability to recruit. When it comes to Nebraska Basketball I'm willing to suffer a few losing seasons while we upgrade talent and real depth.

We just had 3 losing seasons in a row for the first time since 1962. Save a 4 week run, Miles' record would be significantly worse than Collier and Sadler ... and it still is worse.

This season our defense was horrible. I believe he will get that fixed.

The last 3 seasons our defense has really struggled imho. A lot of that is a lack of length at all positions, but that is improving.

Motion offense is run by a lot of teams. We are just poor at executing it. Shots are there we just aren't hitting them.

It is for sure, that I agree with ... I would argue that the shots have NOT been there for the most part. There's been a lot of one-on-one hero ball at the end of the shot clock over his entire tenure that aren't really high quality shots.

I hope all of you Miles apologists are right ... I really do. I was on the fence as to whether he should be retained, but he earned the right to coach these guys with his recruiting I suppose. I just don't see what I see improving over time. Again, I hope you guys who are apologists for Miles are correct. I have been a season ticket holder since 1990 and will continue to be a fan. I'm just not so sure all of these guys are as talented as the recruiting rankings say OR Miles can't exactly coach and develop talent. Either way the long-term results don't look good (so far).

6 minutes ago, nustudent said:

This will probably end up being his undoing.   The swings and misses here caused depth, inexperience issues and lesser talented guys like a Parker to play further into Miles tenure than they shouldve.   He's upgraded the talent, but the fact he missed early and now also isnt having success with the better talent bases are things you can't combine.

Damn... still taking your shots at Parker even after he's gone huh!

12 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Damn... still taking your shots at Parker even after he's gone huh!

You can view it as taking shots...but its just the truth.   The fact is he wasn't a major conference player but yet started and played a lot of minutes his junior and senior year.  Not surprisingly, we struggled.   Appreciate his effort, but that doesnt change the fact that when he is starting and playing 25+ minutes a game for you...it means you are pretty thin at guard and probably not very good.   And our results supported that.  Had a Biggs or Hawkins or Smith or even Webster early on, panned out...Parker plays fewer minutes and we probably have more wins.to show for it

Edited by nustudent

3 hours ago, brfrad said:

Shields (solid.  T-5th all time in scoring)

Parker (role player)

Vucetic (not very good.  Reach)

1/3 contributing is probably about the national average.

Webster (2nd team All Big 10 his senior year)

Fuller (role player)

Hawkins (has not turned into the player we thought)

Another 1/3

T Smith (pretty solid year for Duquense.)

Hammond (recruited for size.  Couldn't find his way on the court)

Bad year.  0/2

Evelyn (transferred after 1 year.  Reach)

Watson (solid contributions in his 1st 2 years)

Morrow (injuries, but solid contributions in 1st 2 years)

Jacobson (role player)

McVeigh (role player)

2/5 will probably be solid players

Roby (limited time as a freshmen.  Poised to have a solid career)

Jordy (showed flashes.  Could be one of the better high schoolers, Miles recruited)

Horne (showed flashes.  Wish he would have stayed)

Jury still out.  Hopefully finish with 2/3 solid players.

4/13 turned into really good players.

4/13 turned into role players.

5/13 transferred

I don't have time or energy to go through every school, but I'm going to guess most schools like us, would show similar results with regards to high school players.

Michael Jacobson has probably done more than be a role player, he's started 56 straight games. I'd apply the same logic to Benny Parker, who started his final 60 games... [adding onto that point: also take a gander at Evan Taylor, another "glue" guy, who started the final 21 games this year]

Edited by AuroranHusker
*clarity*

2 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Does that change the point he was trying to make.

Go ahead Sam and get busy writing your coaches on the hot seat articles. Fan those flames of the "greatest fans in 'merica".

I know that you are sad he didn't get fired this year as fired coaches and the subsequent coaching search sells newspapers and generates clicks.

I can't recall writing any coaches on the hot seat articles. 

I'm also not sad Miles remains the coach. 

11 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Michael Jacobson has probably done more than be a role player, he's started 56 straight games. I'd apply the same logic to Benny Parker, who started his final 60 games

Less per 40 minute totals in points and blocks compared to freshman season.  More turnovers per 40.  Less FT attempts.

Worse in 2pt fg %.  Worse in 3pt fg %.  Worse in FT % by 7%.

I don't like to dog on individual players...but even calling him a role player might be an enormous compliment given how poorly he performed any type of consistent role in games this season.

He's got to be crushing it in practice or in the meeting rooms.

Edited by HF_
Autocorrect edit

1 minute ago, HF_ said:

Less per 40 minute totals in points and blocks compared to freshman season.  More turnovers per 40.  Less FT attempts.

I don't like to dog on individual players...but even calling him a role player might be an enormous compliment given how poorly he performed any type of consistent role in games this season.

He's got to be crushing it on practice or in the meeting rooms.

I'm just pointing out that MJ must be doing something right. He's started 56 straight games!

23 minutes ago, HF_ said:

Yep, I'm just not entirely sure exactly what it is.  Plays hard.  Give him a E for effort I guess.

I think it might be his smarts/effort. Quite a few Ivy schools recruited him. IDK.... It's a conundrum. 

MJ will make a great backup!!

Edited by AuroranHusker
*clarity*

1 hour ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

I hope all of you Miles apologists are right ... I really do. I was on the fence as to whether he should be retained, but he earned the right to coach these guys with his recruiting I suppose. I just don't see what I see improving over time. Again, I hope you guys who are apologists for Miles are correct. I have been a season ticket holder since 1990 and will continue to be a fan. I'm just not so sure all of these guys are as talented as the recruiting rankings say OR Miles can't exactly coach and develop talent. Either way the long-term results don't look good (so far).

Not an apologist just tired of the coaching carousel. It is killing our program. We will never get out of this cycle if we continue to fire coaches. If Miles is fired we will once again be looking for the next up and coming mid-major coach. There will be mass defections which will set us back at least 4yrs if not longer. At some point

9 minutes ago, HF_ said:

He's got to be crushing it in practice or in the meeting rooms.

Conveniently left out rebounding, scoring, assists, blocks and steals. I wonder why?

Let me help you out. They were all improved with fewer games played. 4 of the 5 of those are hustle and intelligence plays.

So he's doing more than crushing it in practice and meeting rooms.

Less scoring per 40, was in there.

Less blocks per 40, was in there.

Averaged .7 more assists and .9 more rebounds per 40 than he did as a freshman.  You're right he is crushing it in the games too.  Huge improvement from year 1 to year 2.  

2 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Miles has especially struck out when it comes to recruiting high school kids.

Your post didn't say, early on, he struck out on high school recruits.