Jeriah Horne will transfer

8 hours ago, khoock said:

Bummer we burned bridges with Arop. I know he was more of a long term project but now with two open scholarships we could've afforded to RS him (assuming we are able to land a PG or combo guard). I know hind sight is 20/20 but would like to nab an in state guy.

If the only thing holding this back is pride, then that's too bad.

If Copeland ends up being a difference maker, it was a tough decision that was worth while.

This really stinks.  Like others, I like Horne.  And I think he's a player that could really be a nice contributor for us for 4 years if he's invested in the place.  I'm holding out for a Ray Gallegos scenario.  I could see Miles giving him a long rope to figure out which place is right for him and he might change his mind a week or a month from now.  I would be curious to know what his parent's perception of the situation is right now.

Okay I am better this morning.  Still frustrated but have my coffee.  Frustrates as I said to see a kid who had a higher ceiling and could shoot a bit used as he was.  Yes his defense was not good a lot of the time but I remember when Webster was a Freshman there were times he couldn't keep a snail in front of him on defense and he figured it out.  As someone else said, I hope Horne at least "listens" to what Miles says and then if he chooses to go we move on.

If Horne does transfer, he will be forced to do the best thing for him--and that's redshirt. Coaches wanted him to redshirt this summer.  The thing that will suck is having to listen to people bitch in 2 years if he comes out as a redshirt sophomore and averages 12/game somewhere. He will basically be forced to be patient now. 

Dimes wants us to make a pitch to Mr. Horne. OK, here goes. Jeriah, you looked like a pretty tough kid who didn't mind mixing it up around the basket, rebounding on occasion, and could shoot pretty well from behind the three point line on occasion. You played pretty well for a freshman in the Big 10 and if you work on your defensive game and think you are good enough to beat out your competition here, you will eventually end up like Tai who had the respect of everyone who cares enough to post on this site. You are probably not hearing this from friends and family in KC. If you want the guarantee of playing more minutes and only want to score, then transfer to UMKC or a similar program where you will be happier. Either way, we would all wish you well and appreciate your contributions this year.

2 hours ago, HuskerCager said:

This really stinks.  Like others, I like Horne.  And I think he's a player that could really be a nice contributor for us for 4 years if he's invested in the place.  I'm holding out for a Ray Gallegos scenario.  I could see Miles giving him a long rope to figure out which place is right for him and he might change his mind a week or a month from now.  I would be curious to know what his parent's perception of the situation is right now.

I do not know or have not talked to his parents but I have seen them at games. It was very obvious to me from early on they were not real happy with his PT. In one of the first few games he was not getting any time and they were not happy, then he got in late and hit a bucket or two and he was pretty fired up. I am not saying they were right or wrong but just that I have thought all season he might be gone after that. 

3 hours ago, HB said:

Actually, Arop and his coach burned bridges with us, for anyone who knows what really went down there.   And I doubt it ends up being a "bummer", unless he has Justin Patton like development.  Which happens like almost never.  

I'd be really interested to know what actually went down with this.  Or maybe it's been put out there in other posts and i'm just out of the loop.  At the time the news came out it was nothing but bashing of Miles/Nebraska by ever media source out of Omaha about how could they do this to this kid.  There were some that said it was probably for the best but it just looked bad.  And then his coach went out to every radio show/newspaper who would talk to him and just undressed Nebraska for what they did. 

I just thought it was kind of over the top reaction for what it was and am seriously concerned that that perception being put out there will hurt our chances with in-state recruits going forward.  So if there is another side to that story i'd really like to know what it is.

59 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I do not know or have not talked to his parents but I have seen them at games. It was very obvious to me from early on they were not real happy with his PT. In one of the first few games he was not getting any time and they were not happy, then he got in late and hit a bucket or two and he was pretty fired up. I am not saying they were right or wrong but just that I have thought all season he might be gone after that. 

That is not a good sign then, if your perception is correct.

Let me just state that as a parent, coach, coaches' son, and someone who was once privy to a lot of behind the scenes stuff in the NU program that any player who sits on the bench never, ever has parents who are happy with the coach. In fact , a starter who is a role player to the "star" usually has parents who think the coach under-appreciates their son or daughter's talents. That's just the way it is.

7 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

Well, I'm not sure whose minutes he should have taken.  Best argument is maybe Jack McVeigh.  He had right at half the number of minutes of McVeigh, but he also had about half the points and half the rebounds, etc.  BUT he also had more turnovers than McVeigh in half the minutes.  And McVeigh's defense was generally better.  I detailed a series of defensive lapses Jeriah had earlier in the season, I think in the KU game.  But, then again, he was just a freshman.  He's going to make mistakes.

Which is why he doesn't get as many minutes as a veteran.  He has to earn his floor time and clearly beat out the guy in front of him.  And that might happen next season if he stuck around.

Now, Jeriah is a great kid.  And I'm sure his folks are good people.  I'm not going to criticize any of them.  We don't know what he or they were thinking.

If this had been generic team A, and a kid like Jeriah were to transfer at the end of the season, most people would be looking at the roster and saying, well, he looks like he'll be buried on the depth chart until he's a senior; therefore, I can understand him looking for a different opportunity where he can get more minutes sooner.  Why don't we just give everyone the benefit of the doubt and say that's probably what it is?

Edited by Norm Peterson

3 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

If the only thing holding this back is pride, then that's too bad.

If Copeland ends up being a difference maker, it was a tough decision that was worth while.

Agree. Arop didn't really turn into the type of player we were expecting. I believe we recruited him as a SG but at 6'6 w/ not a great shot he's more of an undersized PF imo. Then we got Nana who is the type of player we were hoping Arop was. Then to add on to that we have Copeland now who will play the 3-4 positions like Arop but is a lot more talented and 3 inches taller.

So at the time cutting ties with Arop for the '17 class seemed appropriate as he did not really fulfill the needs of the team and we had limited scholarships to give. Now with only one glaring hole I see (back up PG) and two open scholarships, this would be the perfect time to take a chance on an in state development prospect.

12 hours ago, colhusker said:

This one pisses me off, we have a kid that can knock down a shot and Miles dicks him around like said above.  Getting tired of Miles love for kids that shoot 6 of 17 to lead team.

As long as he's been here, Miles has said you play like you practice....it's been a very consistent message

The game he didn't play? Miles said it was because of "practice stuff" and Jeriah confirmed it. Came back after that and got more playing time. This is how it works.

Does scoring 18 pts vs Southern mean you no longer need to keep earning your PT?

He is a really good kid. Comes from a good family. At the end of the day if he's going it's because of what it is perceived he is entitled to in terms of playing time vs what he actually received, which certainly wasn't insignificant. Some might call this looking out for you interests; some might call this helicopter parenting. 

1 hour ago, soxnskers said:

I'd be really interested to know what actually went down with this.  Or maybe it's been put out there in other posts and i'm just out of the loop.  At the time the news came out it was nothing but bashing of Miles/Nebraska by ever media source out of Omaha about how could they do this to this kid.  There were some that said it was probably for the best but it just looked bad.  And then his coach went out to every radio show/newspaper who would talk to him and just undressed Nebraska for what they did. 

I just thought it was kind of over the top reaction for what it was and am seriously concerned that that perception being put out there will hurt our chances with in-state recruits going forward.  So if there is another side to that story i'd really like to know what it is.

Check out the recruiting forum; I bumped a post from last August on interactions with Chubick Sr.   The poster is not part of the Omaha media scene.  While the poster and I disagree on some stuff having to do with the athletic department, I believe the poster to be reliable, and has access to multiple inside sources.   Anyway, that post sets forth a version of "what went down with this" different from the Omahans.   

2 minutes ago, HB said:

Check out the recruiting forum; I bumped a post from last August on interactions with Chubick Sr.   The poster is not part of the Omaha media scene.  While the poster and I disagree on some stuff having to do with the athletic department, I believe the poster to be reliable, and has access to multiple inside sources.   Anyway, that post sets forth a version of "what went down with this" different from the Omahans.   

Thanks HB.  I'll check it out.

16 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

As long as he's been here, Miles has said you play like you practice....it's been a very consistent message

The game he didn't play? Miles said it was because of "practice stuff" and Jeriah confirmed it. Came back after that and got more playing time. This is how it works.

Does scoring 18 pts vs Southern mean you no longer need to keep earning your PT?

He is a really good kid. Comes from a good family. At the end of the day if he's going it's because of what it is perceived he is entitled to in terms of playing time vs what he actually received, which certainly wasn't insignificant. Some might call this looking out for you interests; some might call this helicopter parenting. 

dimes I understand all of what you've said and agree.  Why in part I have calmed down.

Horne was a different player than I assumed coming in. I figured he was going to be an undersized 4 (like so many of our players) and not have a great outside shot. He was a much better shooter than I had figured (not that he was a consistently good shooter). I guess it concerns me a little that on a team that has a lack of people who can shoot and make an outside shot, we lose a kid that had some of those skills from fairly nearby. He probably currently isn't quick enough to guard as well as we need him to for the position he plays (this is a common problem for us too it seems). Horne looked like he could trim up a little bit and shave some baby weight with some time in the weight room so maybe he could've improved his quickness and lateral movement?

Anyhow, this also leads me to feel like we don't have a lot of good long-term roster planning going on when you have SO many guys who seemingly play a similar position. I know at some point you just have to search for talent, period ... also, I know it's hard to know who is going to stick around and pan out and whatnot, so that makes it more difficult too. Still, the vision and direction for the program has been lacking imho. Miles relied on transfers a bit much early on (and took some chances on some attitudes) and it kind of paid off, but I'm not sure that was a good long-term choice. Again, kind of the name of the game these days though.

I have lots of concerns going forward and to be honest I probably would've felt better about McVeigh leaving than Horne. Yes, I think Miles needs to discipline guys and make sure they're working hard in practice, but sometimes I fear there are a lot of mind games that go on and you just need to give guys some room to make mistakes and grow on the court. While Tai played lots of minutes his whole career I personally believe Miles played a lot of head games with him. Miles seems to get credit for "developing" Tai because of this year, but I think more of the truth is that he had to let the reins loose a bit as we were so thin and Tai was just allowed to do his thing a bit and gain some confidence because he didn't fear making mistakes so much. Again, just my opinion and I know that's likely not to be popular with everyone here.

Edited by Husker4theSpurs

It is a bit of a misconception that he is a good shooter(at least in games).  He shot 33 percent from the land of plenty.  Way below national average. Slightly better than our mind boggling horrid team percentage of 32 percent.  I am guilty myself.  I guess when we shoot really bad, even bad shooting seems good. 

He also graded out below an average Division 1 player( including all of the teams) in Box score plus minus.  He was one point worse than the average player per 100 possessions. 

Bottom line, is he may have developed and may not have developed.  But there is nothing that seems to indicate that this is that big of a deal.  If he doesn't want to be here, so be it.  Find yourself a better fit young man and best of luck. 

12 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Horne was a different player than I assumed coming in. I figured he was going to be an undersized 4 (like so many of our players) and not have a great outside shot. He was a much better shooter than I had figured (not that he was a consistently good shooter). I guess it concerns me a little that on a team that has a lack of people who can shoot and make an outside shot, we lose a kid that had some of those skills from fairly nearby. He probably currently isn't quick enough to guard as well as we need him to for the position he plays (this is a common problem for us too it seems). Horne looked like he could trim up a little bit and shave some baby weight with some time in the weight room so maybe he could've improved his quickness and lateral movement?

Anyhow, this also leads me to feel like we don't have a lot of good long-term roster planning going on when you have SO many guys who seemingly play a similar position. I know at some point you just have to search for talent, period ... also, I know it's hard to know who is going to stick around and pan out and whatnot, so that makes it more difficult too. Still, the vision and direction for the program has been lacking imho. Miles relied on transfers a bit much early on (and took some chances on some attitudes) and it kind of paid off, but I'm not sure that was a good long-term choice. Again, kind of the name of the game these days though.

I have lots of concerns going forward and to be honest I probably would've felt better about McVeigh leaving than Horne. Yes, I think Miles needs to discipline guys and make sure they're working hard in practice, but sometimes I fear there are a lot of mind games that go on and you just need to give guys some room to make mistakes and grow on the court. While Tai played lots of minutes his whole career I personally believe Miles played a lot of head games with him. Miles seems to get credit for "developing" Tai because of this year, but I think more of the truth is that he had to let the reins loose a bit as we were so thin and Tai was just allowed to do his thing a bit and gain some confidence because he didn't fear making mistakes so much. Again, just my opinion and I know that's likely not to be popular with everyone here.

A lot of interesting thoughts in this, and probably right about a lot.  As to Horne, you have focused on his physical abilities.  Obviously he has only average athleticism, and that will impact his defense.  But as to playing time, I believe it was limited as much by the mental lapses (I have no way of knowing the "effort" component from practice other than the public comments of Miles and Horne) as his lack of quicks.   Being a little slow to guard on the perimeter is one thing, but not knowing what defense we are in or whether we are switching screens is another.  And I am sympathetic with a coach who catches hell from parents and fans when those things go on and are pretty glaring.   You have to sub out a guy who comes in a game not ready to play mentally.  And back in the days before instant gratification, averaging double digit minutes as a freshman was a positive thing, not a negative.  It's not like he never got to play. 

As for roster planning, that's hard to do here.  You end up signing the best guys you can get.  It's hard to turn someone down from a "planning" standpoint or how deep we are relatively at a position.  If it's a talent upgrade (from the dregs of the non-transfers we were getting the first couple of years), you take him.   Bottom line is we have a long way to go with recruiting and player development.  I'm not sure what the best course is--more patience with the current regime or make a change.  But if you're going to go with the "more time" approach, you better support the guy, and not have it be like the one year delay in firing Bo.   I'll be interested in hearing what SE has to say after the final four or whenever his self-imposed no-comment period is over.