Nick Fuller is Graduate Transferring

hhcmatt

This makes me even more concerned about Miles coaching ability.  Nick Fuller is a perfect example of Miles not getting the most out of his players. 

Things of Note...

Field Goal % = 60%

Game against Duke = 7/11 and 16 points

3pt Field Goal % = 40%

Point Average = 8.3 per game on 15.2 minutes

We could of used this last year, and I knew the damn kid was decent behind the arc!   I just don't get it, because he now looks to be playing at the level he did in high school.  Miles offense must not fit his style I guess? 

Miles get Roby more freaking minutes! 

Edited by big red22

4 hours ago, big red22 said:

This makes me even more concerned about Miles coaching ability.  Nick Fuller is a perfect example of Miles not getting the most out of his players. 

Things of Note...

Field Goal % = 60%

Game against Duke = 7/11 and 16 points

3pt Field Goal % = 40%

Point Average = 8.3 per game on 15.2 minutes

We could of used this last year, and I knew the damn kid was decent behind the arc!   I just don't get it, because he now looks to be playing at the level he did in high school.  Miles offense must not fit his style I guess? 

Miles get Roby more freaking minutes! 

Did you see the post right before yours. They have played Duke and TCU. All other competition has not and will not be close to Big 10 level. Can’t we just be happy for someone’s success instead of using it as an excuse to bag on someone? 

18 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Did you see the post right before yours. They have played Duke and TCU. All other competition has not and will not be close to Big 10 level. Can’t we just be happy for someone’s success instead of using it as an excuse to bag on someone? 

Always gonna be the baggers.

Oh you have got to be kidding me.  We are going to use Nicks success as a way to bag on Miles?  It isn’t even a legit comparison.

Firstly, of course Nick could have put up better numbers if we gave him those kind of minutes here.  But that doesn’t mean he helps us win any more games.

Secondly, as Dean mentioned, can’t we just be happy for the kid?  Nick has worked hard to get to where he is and I am sure he is just enjoying his playing time.

Thirdly, you saw Nick get some minutes last year in different situations.  He had some opportunities to show what he can do.  He worked his butt off, but he struggled a bit.  The level of competition he will play this year is no where near what we play.  Also, the level of competition for playing time is no where near what it was here either.

I am not a Miles basher... hhcdimes can pull all my posts.  I just firmly believe that Fuller was not used right here!  If you guys want get your jollies off by trying to deny it that is fine, but there is evidence to prove what I am saying. 

Hey Dean... He went 7/11 against Duke.  I respect the hell out of your thoughts, but what you are saying is an excuse!

I love Miles, I've defended him year after year... mainly on Huskers Online because there are way more bashers over there.  Some guys don't fit what Miles does and Fuller is one of them. 

Now that the Kansas game has come and gone.  I'm not into moral victories anymore!  This is the year Miles has to prove something, or he is out in my humble opinion.  Miles needed that game, and he failed.  You call a time out and set up a final play with just over 20 seconds left 10 out of 10 times, and Miles got caught watching.  That is a coaching FAIL!  Yeah they may lose even if he does set up a play there, but at least you tried.

19 minutes ago, big red22 said:

I just firmly believe that Fuller was not used right here!

Some guys don't fit what Miles does and Fuller is one of them. 

...so you're saying he needed to be given more playing time at NU?  Doesn't make much sense.  I doubt any coach is going to just up and change their whole scheme just to make the Nick Fuller square peg fit into the round hole.

1 hour ago, big red22 said:

Hey Dean... He went 7/11 against Duke

1st half: Duke 56 - South Dakota 30.  Fuller 1-3 in 6 minutes for 2 points.  

2nd half: South Dakota 50 - Duke 40.  Fuller is 6-8 in 9 minutes for 14 points.

Was Craig Smith also misusing Fuller by not playing him for 30 minutes in this game?

Yes you can place some onus on the staff for either not developing or using Fuller most effectively.  However, then this naturally turns into a 'defend the staff by pointing out Nick's deficiencies' thread instead of just a 'rah-rah about how well Nick fits in with his current team' thread. To me it's a lot more about not having/wanting to point out Nick's shortcomings vs defending Miles.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

...so you're saying he needed to be given more playing time at NU?  Doesn't make much sense.  I doubt any coach is going to just up and change their whole scheme just to make the Nick Fuller square peg fit into the round hole.

I see your angle here and I get it.  It still comes down to why did you even recruit him here in the first place if he is a square peg in a round hole type of player? 

With that said I agree with the fact that this is not the thread to bash Miles, and I should just congratulate Fuller for the success he is having this year.  So I apologize for taking this thread south.

22 minutes ago, big red22 said:

I see your angle here and I get it.  It still comes down to why did you even recruit him here in the first place if he is a square peg in a round hole type of player? 

With that said I agree with the fact that this is not the thread to bash Miles, and I should just congratulate Fuller for the success he is having this year.  So I apologize for taking this thread south.

At the time, I think Fuller was a good pick up.  We didn't have a lot of shooters and overall player athleticism was pretty low.  Fuller would have played a lot more had he been in the program a year or two before Miles got here.

However, I think it goes back to the "It's my job to recruit someone better than you and it's your job to prove me wrong quote."  Miles, for all of the flack that he takes, has been a much much more solid recruiter than any of his previous competition here at NU.  I think that Fuller was a good pick up at the time, however we just kept getting better and better players and more athletic players and Fuller just couldn't quite keep up.  Another good example of this I feel is Jack this year.  Remember that Jack was a starter against Creighton last year.  He hasn't even played in some of our games this year.

Had Fuller stayed here another year and been here this year, he still isn't getting playing time here.  Big time Kudos to him for everything that he did for us, for sticking it out, and for being an awesome teammate.  That is something you don't get too often these days.  However, when it came to the basketball floor, I think he just couldn't keep up with the talent that Miles was recruiting.

Edited by hskr4life

10 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

At the time, I think Fuller was a good pick up.  We didn't have a lot of shooters and overall player athleticism was pretty low.  Fuller would have played a lot more had he been in the program a year or two before Miles got here.

Absolutely this.  Fuller and Hawkins were both part of that first recruiting class for Miles (Shields/Parker were Doc recruits).  They were 3* type kids and at the time we were so used to filling our roster with unranked players they both looked like tremendous gets.

Since then we've put like 8?  4* or higher guys on the roster?  It wasn't so much that we shouldn't have brought him in as we just have been pretty consistent in upgrading the roster after he arrived.

Also, remember that Hawk didn't redshirt so he had the transfer option after 2014 while Nick used his redshirt year, and it's been discussed here numerous times that players who redshirt seem to be less likely to transfer than those who don't.  It's unfortunate for him I think but if he had chosen not to redshirt his freshman year he might have gone to USD with coach Smith.

I am happy that Nick is having a good season with playing time.  Good for Nick. 

When he came here, I was somewhat mislead about his expertise.  I thought he had a good outside game.  When he got here he struggled mightily with his outside game and he worked his body to be more an inside presence.  He was sort of a tweener at this level.  I liked Nick and thought he was a good "team" oriented player.  He didn't get a lot of time, but when he played, he played hard and contributed with some good effort plays.  But if we needed him to be a major contributor, that would have told me that we were not going to be a good team.  Sort of the reverse of what I thought of Isaiah Roby.  I felt going into this year that Isaiah needed a lot of minutes...I still feel that way as he has a way of building a useful and impactful stat sheet.

6 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Speak of the devil...Nate and Jordy's brother Link will be at the CLINK tonight to take on the Jays.

It's early on but UTA has a 13-11 lead in this one, and I only have it on as background noise but I could have sworn I heard the announcers talking something about Scott Frost.  I mean, WTF???  That's pretty disgusting if in fact it happened.

4 minutes ago, 49r said:

It's early on but UTA has a 13-11 lead in this one, and I only have it on as background noise but I could have sworn I heard the announcers talking something about Scott Frost.  I mean, WTF???  That's pretty disgusting if in fact it happened.

I said this in a different thread, but if Coach Frost WAS introduced at a Creighton game he would receive a large and perhaps a thunderous ovation.  Sad, but true, and something I cannot or will not attempt to understand.   I would take one additional steps, anyone who chooses to be a Creighton basketball fan loses their opportunity for Nebraska football tickets.  IN MY HUMBLE MIND, there is no such thing as a Jaysker.  That is a ridiculous mentality. 

Edited by huskercwg

12 hours ago, big red22 said:

I am not a Miles basher... hhcdimes can pull all my posts.  I just firmly believe that Fuller was not used right here!  If you guys want get your jollies off by trying to deny it that is fine, but there is evidence to prove what I am saying. 

Hey Dean... He went 7/11 against Duke.  I respect the hell out of your thoughts, but what you are saying is an excuse!

I love Miles, I've defended him year after year... mainly on Huskers Online because there are way more bashers over there.  Some guys don't fit what Miles does and Fuller is one of them. 

Now that the Kansas game has come and gone.  I'm not into moral victories anymore!  This is the year Miles has to prove something, or he is out in my humble opinion.  Miles needed that game, and he failed.  You call a time out and set up a final play with just over 20 seconds left 10 out of 10 times, and Miles got caught watching.  That is a coaching FAIL!  Yeah they may lose even if he does set up a play there, but at least you tried.

That's not an excuse because I don't know what I would need an excuse for. My point was he doesn't play that level of competition on a regular basis. He did shoot well against Duke but one game is not enough of a sample size to determine anything one way or the other. After seeing him play here,  and I acknowledge some of his shooting woes was lack of confidence,  I don't think it is too big a jump to say that game would be an outlier. It's my opinion but I don't think he could consistently put up those numbers against power 5 teams.

But I do take exception on the 10 out of 10 times taking a time out. It depends on your personnel and your opponent. I had team that lived on the break and I'm going to let them push the ball and see what we can get out of our primary or secondary. And Miles did run a play. It was the same play that Palmer scored on during the previous possession. I suppose you could say that he could have taken a timeout and called a different play but that would seem like hindsight to me. Palmer was the first option again and the corner three was the second. I hate to see anyone fired and was not even on the "fire  Doc bandwagon", but I was troubled by his teams lack of preparedness for end game situations. I don't think Miles or any of us are perfect. But having the team run the play you want with out a time out for Kansas to change defenses, or prepare to take away certain looks, set up traps or any other unexpected behaviors, that actually is a sign of good coaching, or at least good game preparation. 

The one game incident that I see as the best example of me ever demonstrating good coaching (you have to look hard) was a tied ballgame, just over two minutes left and I had no timeouts left. I had used them all up being down 17 at the start of the fourth. The point pushed the ball up and we went all the way through secondary, he called motion "nothing but layups." At about the one minute mark the point got them into the closest thing we ran to a delay, took the clock down to the last 15 seconds, made sure the ball was in the hands of the player we wanted and on one word they went into a play we had practice all year as an end of game play. The exact one I would have drawn up if I had a time out. We got a great look at the basket with 3 seconds left but missed the shot. I never said a word (which was unusual for me) the entire time. I just sat and watched because I had done my coaching in practice and they didn't need me at that time. btw - we won in overtime.

• 1 month later...