NCAA Tournament

uneblinstu

34 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

Just to complete the woulda coulda shoulda trifecta...Jordan Mathews,who made the game winner for Gonzaga, is the son of former Doc Sadler Assistant Phil Mathews.

Yeah, I hear ya Scott. Bummer for Nebrasketball.

Jordan was even a grad transfer this year after previously attending Cal.

18 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Put it this way, if we'd have gotten Keanu Pinder out of juco, we wouldn't have Isaac Copeland on our roster for next year.  That's the trade-off we made.  Not having the one made room for the other.  I'd take Copeland over Pinder every single time.

If we'd had Pinder on our roster for this year, we still only win 12 games.

And, unlike most jucos, Pinder wasn't hitting stride and getting more minutes as the season progressed; he was getting fewer.

This is my issue with this argument.  

First off...Copeland has produced exactly zero here thus far.   Now...I think his ceiling if healthy is off the charts and is an NBA caliber prospect, but also think it is fair to wait to see what happens with him.   Second....we don't know what other dominoes would have fallen in the meantime.   Maybe with added depth Fuller would have transferred sooner.   Maybe we don't take Horne, who transfers out after a year.   Maybe we would have been more selective and not given Evelyn a spot two years ago.   Or maybe Palmer is the odd one out.  Maybe with the added depth last year in the frontcourt we win an extra game or two and White feels better about our chances to dance and stays.   Blah blah blah.  Point is we don't know how things would've come out.

Would I take Roby or Copeland over him..absolutely.   And in no way am I saying that we made a mistake with him.   I agree with you in that I don't think he's a dynamic player.   Just saying I don't get the dodged the bullet comment considering our depth issues the last two years and would have most certainly preferred him over a Fuller.  Maybe I just struggle with the better off without approach over said player when we are sitting here with the success we've had.

Edited by nustudent

nustdent, if I'm not mistaken, we put Pinder in a juco on purpose. Probably because we didn't think he was ready. All the recruiting services continued to count him as a  husker commit even after he went to the juco. If he had remained committed  to us and we to him,  we would still have gone after Palmer as a transfer. White and Evan Taylor would've been a push. We took Evan because White left.   Panzer plays a different position and would not have offset the need for guards at the time we signed Palmer and took Taylor. There is a direct correlation between our ability to bring in Copeland and not having Pinder on the roster.   As things turned out, it was very clearly one or the other. 

All I was trying to say was we have a couple of guys on Arizona's current roster that we recruited pretty hard (successfully, perhaps?)...combine that with Lightfoot who is currently sitting on an Elite 8 bench, and also a near miss for Miles and Co. and we can see that the myth of it being difficult to recruit to Nebraska for hoops is simply that, a myth.  That's all.

58 minutes ago, 49r said:

All I was trying to say was we have a couple of guys on Arizona's current roster that we recruited pretty hard (successfully, perhaps?)...combine that with Lightfoot who is currently sitting on an Elite 8 bench, and also a near miss for Miles and Co. and we can see that the myth of it being difficult to recruit to Nebraska for hoops is simply that, a myth.  That's all.

So, are you saying that recruits we missed out on prove that it isn't difficult to recruit to a place like Nebraska?   Doesn't that actually kind of show the opposite?  The fact that I almost cleared 6 ft in the high jump a few times doesn't prove that I can clear 6 feet whenever I want to.

I think what those examples illustrate is that Miles and Co are good at identifying talent, often before the big boys get involved. 

Edited by Norm Peterson

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, are you saying that recruits we missed out on prove that it isn't difficult to recruit to a place like Nebraska?   Doesn't that actually kind of show the opposite?  

I think what those examples illustrate is that Miles and Co are good at identifying talent, often before the big boys get involved. 

I think the fact that they are considering us, and we're staying in it 'till the end with them is a pretty good sign, yes.

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

So, are you saying that recruits we missed out on prove that it isn't difficult to recruit to a place like Nebraska?   Doesn't that actually kind of show the opposite?  

Yep.... only to lose out to the big boys who get on offer late.  

Kind of like asking a girl to prom when you are the jock... only to have California Surfer Boy transfer in and steal yo date.

1 minute ago, 49r said:

I think the fact that they are considering us, and we're staying in it 'till the end with them is a pretty good sign, yes.

Our bell curve is different than their bell curve, though.  In other words, the guys that we were "in it 'till the end with" aren't the star, stud players on the teams they ended up rejecting us in favor of.  If we had been "in it 'till the end" with Josh Jackson, then maybe we could talk.  But outliers for us and outliers for them aren't the same people.

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

Our bell curve is different than their bell curve, though.  In other words, the guys that we were "in it 'till the end with" aren't the star, stud players on the teams they ended up rejecting us in favor of.  If we had been "in it 'till the end" with Josh Jackson, then maybe we could talk.  But outliers for us and outliers for them aren't the same people.

Our prized possibilities are their Mid-March offers is what your saying?