Program Expectations

1 minute ago, hhcdimes said:

Just wanted to point out that this year's team and his 2009-10 Boston U team are the only ones that have played this fast under Chambers. You don't necessarily see coaches changing their style that much.

This is the first time he probably had a bunch of young ballers that he didn't want to slow down.  Not sure where you were going quoting the not thinking outside the box part.  I don't see him as an elite outside of the box thinker, but as I said, I don't monitor Penn St. basketball extremely closely, so any of my thoughts on the matter are far from well educated. 

Just now, royalfan said:

This is the first time he probably had a bunch of young ballers that he didn't want to slow down.  Not sure where you were going quoting the not thinking outside the box part.  I don't see him as an elite outside of the box thinker, but as I said, I don't monitor Penn St. basketball extremely closely, so any of my thoughts on the matter are far from well educated. 

I'm not trying to say that Pat Chambers is Don Nelson here. It's my thought that running at a pace that you haven't used in 7 seasons could be considered outside the box thinking though.

Just now, hhcdimes said:

I'm not trying to say that Pat Chambers is Don Nelson here. It's my thought that running at a pace that you haven't used in 7 seasons could be considered outside the box thinking though.

I see, makes sense.  It didn't show very good results this year, but I guess the jury is still out on if that move helped the development of the program going forward.  Time will tell.  I wonder if they will ever have very good support there. 

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:36 PM, cipsucks said:

My expectation is to get an administration and a coaching staff to be on the same page and to actually like each other.  Let me explain.

Devaney and Cipriano.  They got along fine.  Rumor has it they were drinking buddies, but who cares.  Football was and is king, and before Joe came down with cancer, his teams were trending upward.  1977-78 went 23-8 and won a game in the NIT.  But then, came Moe Iba.

Moe's demeanor sucked, his offense boring, he had an affair with Mabel Lee and he couldn't win a game in the Big 8 Tourney to save his life.  (Maybe a couple).  When you hand in your letter of resignation right after you just took NU to their first NCAA Tourney game, relationship with your boss isn't good.

Danny.  My favorite coach.  Great recruiter, great fit to be the AntiOsborne, (not a knock on Dr.Tom, Nee was just the opposite, which at the time, was refreshing).  He had no problems with Bob, who hired him, and Bill Byrne, who actually supported him when most of the players walked.  (Pussies...)   But, Byrne, looking at attendance numbers, made a change after 13 years of good basketball.   Thanks, Bill.

Barry Collier.  Byrne hires Collier and bolts.  In comes Steve Pederson (the false prophet) and brings Marc Boehm with him.  Instead of letting Collier go, he brings him back for another year and Mr. Butler bolts for safer havens in July and says screw you Nebraska.  So, here comes Doc.

I love this guy.  He came into the coaching graveyard, and was always positive.  He did his damndest.  His record so far, is better than our current coach, and he never had the facilities.  Tom didn't hire him, so....

Tim Miles.  I'm not going to say anything about him one way or the other. His current boss didn't hire him, so I don't expect him to stay.  That's understandable.  It's the way of this current world.  What we need is an administration and a coaching staff to be here for at least 7 years.  Probably won't happen......

You're spot on Cip & check all of the appropriate boxes. It's times like this when I miss battling Colorado for last place in the Big 8.

Offer dates for 2016-17 Freshmen

Jordy Tshimanga - 6/18/2014

Isaiah Roby - 7/27/2014

Jeriah Horne - 6/24/2016

Part of thought behind us keeping Miles for at least another year is that these relationships take a long time to build if you want to get good guys who will stick it out in your program (knock on wood)

31 minutes ago, trickey said:

I have a reasonable expectation that we will be the last power 5 school to win a March Madness game.

How soon that is may be harder to predict.

There is always the chance that a team that hasn't won a game works their way via football into a Power 5 conference B)