Program Expectations

What are realistic expectations for the Husker Hoops program?

My expectations for this program should be a lot higher than the current administration is accepting.

With the new practice facility and new arena this program should never have a losing season period.(NIT or NCAA every year)

With NU now getting a full share of the Big Ten revenue, we need to spend more money on recruiting and coaching in basketball, if this administration truly wants to win in basketball, NU should have one of the biggest budgets in basketball in the conference.

No open scholarships. It seems like NU is always has unused scholarships, we need all the players we can get, depth is key due to injuries.

Go Big Red!

40 minutes ago, Huskers/Cubs said:

My expectations for this program should be a lot higher than the current administration is accepting.

With the new practice facility and new arena this program should never have a losing season period.(NIT or NCAA every year)

With NU now getting a full share of the Big Ten revenue, we need to spend more money on recruiting and coaching in basketball, if this administration truly wants to win in basketball, NU should have one of the biggest budgets in basketball in the conference.

No open scholarships. It seems like NU is always has unused scholarships, we need all the players we can get, depth is key due to injuries.

Go Big Red!

I'm guessing most of the money is going to football though.

37 minutes ago, Huskers/Cubs said:

Go Big Red!

While it would be nice, I do not think NIT or NCAA EVERY YEAR is realistic.  There are a lot of teams that have down years all the time.  It happens.  Unless you are KU, Kentucky, ect., you are probably going to have a down year every once in a while.

Now I agree, that losing seasons year after year after year should not happen.  However, we are building, and building takes time.  For us, you have to walk before you can run.  

My realistic expectations are that we are in the running for the NCAA most years.  I am saying a "team that could win 3 games in their conference tourney and make a case for themselves.  I also think that NIT should be something that we are competing for every year.  However, I know that down years will happen and that will not be the case some years.  If we have a run of NIT, NCAA, NIT, Losing Record, NCAA/NIT, Losing Record.  I am probably going to be OK with that.  We are not a Powerhouse.  It will take time, and we will not have a winning record every year.

I do believe though that we could be more special if we pump more $$$ into basketball.

Just now, unl said:

What about tourney wins? (Gotta start somewhere)

I always figure the tourney is bonus....I know everyone considers the end all, be all in judging a program....but to me the regular season is what I judge a program....

The NCAA tourney is so much about one matchup, one bad day etc...I would not place my expectations based on the NCAA tourney at least in evaluating where the program is.

I did put an expectation for the Big ten tourney which is contradictory...but in that tourney you are playing teams that you should be familiar with and should be reasonable to have expectations against them.

Make NCAA tourney 66 percent of the time.  Once one gets there, it is such a fine line these days between winning and losing.  We would never be more than a 11 or so point dog in any game.  Anything can happen.  We need to be a part of the proceedings.  No reason it should not happen with the facilities we have.  Programs far better than us have bad facilities and are not recruiting hot beds.  We have to get far better at having a complete plan when recruiting and any kind of plan in game and especially in season development.  Other teams in our league are improving during the season at mind boggling rates in comparison to our rates since Smith left(I know, it is merely coincidental).

8 hours ago, khoock said:

I'd say in a five year span:

-1-2 NCAA tourneys

-1-2 NITs

-1-2 subpar /// rebuilding seasons

some combination of those 3 would be acceptable to me... for a while. After a few cycles of making somewhat regular tourney bids and hopefully wins and I'd like to see more consistency.

Your answer is about what I would say, and I suspect many on this board as well.  The fact of the matter is, we are doing much worse:
                 Collier       Sadler      Miles
NCAA           0                0             1
NIT               2                3             0
Sub-par        4                3             4

So with that in mind, why are so many of us (myself included) OK with Miles returning for a 6th season?  I think the reason is that we hope for better, but we really don't expect it.  Clearly, 4 non-tournament teams out of 5 is acceptable to most Nebraska fans, as long as their coach is engaging, hard working and runs a clean program.  Even if it doesn't show up on the court in the form of post season tournaments.

Seems like this thread rears its ugly head every year about this time so why don't we put a twist on things.  Penn State, who is much closer to fertile recruiting grounds, has a similar number of NCAA tourney appearances (and have actually won a game there, including a "final four" appearance in 1954) and who has at least as big of an AD budget as we do, continues to put their faith in Pat Chambers.  Chambers has been at PSU for longer than Miles has been here, surely he has shown definite progress in the direction of his program, right?

Penn State Nittany Lions (Big Ten Conference) (2011–present)
2011–12 Penn State 12–20 4–14 T–11th  
2012–13 Penn State 10–21 2–16 12th  
2013–14 Penn State 16–18 6–12 T–10th CBI Quarterfinal
2014–15 Penn State 18–16 4–14 13th  
2015–16 Penn State 16–16 7–11 10th  
2016–17 Penn State 14–16 6–11    
Penn State: 86–107 (.446) 29–78 (.271)

It appears that nobody has taken the initiative yet to update his Wikipedia page, but they finished 13th in the league this year.  What do you suppose the expectations for their program are?  What should they be???

Are they crazy to bring Chambers back for year 7?

3 hours ago, HuskerCager said:

Your answer is about what I would say, and I suspect many on this board as well.  The fact of the matter is, we are doing much worse:
                 Collier       Sadler      Miles
NCAA           0                0             1
NIT               2                3             0
Sub-par        4                3             4

So with that in mind, why are so many of us (myself included) OK with Miles returning for a 6th season?  I think the reason is that we hope for better, but we really don't expect it.  Clearly, 4 non-tournament teams out of 5 is acceptable to most Nebraska fans, as long as their coach is engaging, hard working and runs a clean program.  Even if it doesn't show up on the court in the form of post season tournaments.

Thing is, we could easily schedule for the NIT every year.  We could not play in a Non Con tourney, take KU, Creighton, ect off of our schedule, and win 18-19 games and make the NIT.  Now ask yourself... are you OK with THAT?  I bolded some numbers there for you... notice the outlier?  That 1 under NCAA... yeah, that sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the last few coaches.  

Remember... a 19 win team under Doc went to the NIT, a 19 win team under Miles went Dancing.  Which do we prefer?  I will also say, there is a fine line between dancing and the NIT if you have a tough schedule.  If you have a weak schedule, you have to win that much more to even sniff dancing.

Edited by hskr4life

I can't wait until Northwestern gets that 1st Tourney win, then we will have sole possession of the Title we so richly deserve. The "O" fer Champion of the World! Like an old man once told me, "if yer gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly."

P.S. The Moorhead Spuds (great name) lost in the Finals of the MN High School Hockey Tournament, bringing their finals appearance record to 0-8.

3 hours ago, 49r said:

Seems like this thread rears its ugly head every year about this time so why don't we put a twist on things.  Penn State, who is much closer to fertile recruiting grounds, has a similar number of NCAA tourney appearances (and have actually won a game there, including a "final four" appearance in 1954) and who has at least as big of an AD budget as we do, continues to put their faith in Pat Chambers.  Chambers has been at PSU for longer than Miles has been here, surely he has shown definite progress in the direction of his program, right?

Penn State Nittany Lions (Big Ten Conference) (2011–present)
2011–12 Penn State 12–20 4–14 T–11th  
2012–13 Penn State 10–21 2–16 12th  
2013–14 Penn State 16–18 6–12 T–10th CBI Quarterfinal
2014–15 Penn State 18–16 4–14 13th  
2015–16 Penn State 16–16 7–11 10th  
2016–17 Penn State 14–16 6–11    
Penn State: 86–107 (.446) 29–78 (.271)

It appears that nobody has taken the initiative yet to update his Wikipedia page, but they finished 13th in the league this year.  What do you suppose the expectations for their program are?  What should they be???

Are they crazy to bring Chambers back for year 7?

No it would be crazy not to bring him back after the recruiting class he just hauled and the potential they showed this year. 

23 minutes ago, 49r said:

But Miles doesn't get the same consideration by so many...why?

I would expect that the exact same conversations here (or with all sorts of programs) are being had at Penn St.

Some of the fans see that Chambers got some local talent to go there.

Some fans see the same old losing and think they need to start over.

Pennsylvania with Philly and Pittsburgh certainly has a ton more talent than Nebraska but Penn St is sort of in the middle of nowhere so they sort of have better local talent. I think you could make a very valid argument that Penn St cares the least about basketball than any other school in the conference. 

8 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I would expect that the exact same conversations here (or with all sorts of programs) are being had at Penn St.

Some of the fans see that Chambers got some local talent to go there.

Some fans see the same old losing and think they need to start over.

Pennsylvania with Philly and Pittsburgh certainly has a ton more talent than Nebraska but Penn St is sort of in the middle of nowhere so they sort of have better local talent. I think you could make a very valid argument that Penn St cares the least about basketball than any other school in the conference. 

Gotta be Rutttttgerrrrrzzzzzz